• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Santiago early

catattack

I have allowed 13 days to get to Santiago. I have not worked out yet, but may end up staying in a / some town/s along the way, if I find out that they are worth more than a day.

My questions are, what would I do if I were to arrive in Santiago a few days before my flight? Can I hang around in Santiago in a pilgrims hostel, or must I get real accommodation in a tourist hostel or other place? From what I understand there is a one night maximum on the albergues?

And what about if I were to stay in a town along the way? What reccomendations to people have for a must see place from Oporto, to Santiago. Again, will I have to stay at a proper hotel, rather than an albergue?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Catattack, I do have a favourite town along the Portugues: Pontevedra. It has a large old quarter full of squares which feed into more squares through charming streets. One also has the river, the bridges and the ocean bays nearby. The place is full of historical interest and is abuzz with restaurant and bar life, mostly locals. I would recommend it to anyone for a rest day. Enjoy yourself, whatever you decide.

Rob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The big public alberque lets you stay several nights--you do have to leave (you can leave your stuff if you have a private room but YOU have to leave) everyday but you can stay there multiple nights. If you get there early, going out to Finisterre is wonderful. You can walk it (3 days) or take the bus out early (from bus terminal in Santiago) and spend the day or even the night out there and return to Santiago. I spent several days in Santiago as there is lots to see there as well.

you can stay a few days in the albergues in Santi, but I've never done so, choosing instead to stop at one of the more central pensions.

and I've regretted not following the lead of my pilgrim family of taking a rest day in Caldas in a spa hotel. Cheap, with treatments. nice...

next time I'm in Padron, if it's not raining, I'm going to spend a bit more time going up the hill to where James was meant to have done some stuff. others have recommended it; a quiet time before the noise of Santi! the albergue there is strict, but you could make it 2 short days and stop at Teo; the last albergue before Santi.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you dont want to stay in Monte do Gozo, which is an hour of walking to Santiago,
you can use one of many other albergues.

For example
Albergue Jaime García Rodríguez,
Rua de Moscova, Santiago de Compostela
price = 8 e

Hello there,
If you arrive in Santiago early there are plenty of reasonably cheap places to stay. If you have internet access check out Booking.com or just google cheap accommodation in Santiago - you will see lots of options - even in peak times there are plenty of places. If you don't have internet access there is an internet cafe very close to the Cathedral - ask for directions at the tourist office (also very close to the Cathedral,

happy walking, Kate

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Johnnie, I see from its website that it is closed- from 1 November 2011 until 16 March 2012.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back