Attending Mass

JoEllen

Jun 6, 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
When I walked the Camino in 2017, I always seemed to miss the Sunday Masses. I was expecting them to be in the morning as it is in the U.S. I remember a few times other pilgrims saying they attended Mass "last evening" which would have been Sunday evening. Does anyone know if that's the norm?

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
In many Catholic churches, a Saturday evening Mass is celebrated. This Mass is the first Mass of Sunday, and counts for that obligation.

Sometimes it is as early as 4:00 pm. In my Camino experience these Masses seem to be at about 7:00 - 8:00 pm for the most part. They are called Vigil Masses, as they are celebrated on the vigil of the Sunday (or holiday).

In most small Camino towns and villages, you need to check the church for posted Mass times.
Do not assume that all churches are operational. There is a serious shortage of Catholic priests in Spain.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2011
brooktondale, ny
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
Here is a google map that has mass times across the camino.

I had a hard time finding mass over Easter week, as I suspect everyone in villages had driven to a big city for the processions. So on Good Friday my son and I decided to say a "Glory Be" every time we saw a cross.

You know, there are A LOT of crosses in Spain. Our Glory Be prayers became very meditative as the day went on.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=41.63708772081917,-4.449462734375061&spn=9.453676,14.128418&msa=0&mid=1Ri9eQL2rE26aoP3mQkZYbHWzBC4&z=7

There is also an ap called "mass times" that you can down load. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LynneR
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
For my fellow Jewish Pilgrims do try to remember that this coming Tuesday evening is our Shavuot holiday, not one but two days. Shavuot is one of the required Jewish pilgrimages, totally...
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.