Barcelona to St. Jean best way to get there

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
terfos,

Welcome to the Forum!

For your journey to SJPdP consider taking the train to Pamplona and then using the tranfer option offered by Corazon Puro. They will meet your train, host and feed you overnight at their pension, and next morning transport you to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP. Read other pilgrims comments here and the Corazon Puro site here.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Gesha

Feb 13, 2014
Adelaide
"May 2014" & "May 2015"
I booked on the train from SANTS to Pamplona on www.renfe.com departing at 0930 and arriving at 1315. I did this online so have my ticket before I arrive in BCN. Staying at BCN Airport hotel which you can also book online before you travel or there is plenty of accom in Barcelona itself. I also arranged for Istvan from Corazon Puro Pension to pick me up from Pamplona train station, staying overnight and then they will drive me to SJPP in the morning, Their email address is corazonpuro@corazonpuro.es
Everyone has been very helpful especially on this blog by providing information for starting out. Good luck. I'm starting out on 12 May this year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
W

whariwharangi

Follow the link to this thread and see the third post for travel information regarding Barcelona with details on SJPdP options:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...um-of-useful-links-for-travel-in-spain.25380/

The fastest way:

Fly from Barcelona to San Sebastian (EAS). Airport is located 2 km from Irun Renfe Station.

Then SNCF TGV from Irun to Bayonne. SNCF TER from Bayonne to SJPdP.

The easiest way:

ALSA bus or Renfe train from Barcelona to Pamplona.

Then Conda bus (owned by ALSA) Pamplona to SJPdP. When looking up the ALSA schedule use international tab for Pamplona to SJPdP section. At time of writing there is one bus per day 1730 17 March t0 30 Sept 2014. A second daily trip will operate 1430 1 June - 30 Sept 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivares

Veteran Member
Jul 12, 2011
USA
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
I did this route on May 2011 and prefer to take the bus because it drops you off at the Pamplona Bus Station where you can await the next bus to either Roncesvalles and/or SJPDP (seasonal itinerary). Buses in Spain are clean, comfortable, reliable, and cheap. A no brainer.

terfos

Aug 27, 2013
terfos,

Welcome to the Forum!

For your journey to SJPdP consider taking the train to Pamplona and then using the tranfer option offered by Corazon Puro. They will meet your train, host and feed you overnight at their pension, and next morning transport you to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP. Read other pilgrims comments here and the Corazon Puro site here.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you so much for the information. You seem to be a seasoned Camino person, I wonder if you would mind telling me if you use water proof shoes/boots, I know that it can rain in Sept/October but also be hot and I don't know which is worse occasional wet feet (change socks) or hot feet often if it is hot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Thank you so much for the information. You seem to be a seasoned Camino person, I wonder if you would mind telling me if you use water proof shoes/boots, I know that it can rain in Sept/October but also be hot and I don't know which is worse occasional wet feet (change socks) or hot feet often if it is hot.

Yes, I do. Here are the boots I wear . Lightweight, water proof and sturdy; each pair lasts me through at least two caminos.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
I wanted to share my experience using the luggage forwarding/storage service offered by Casa Ivar. I flew from Dallas to Paris, arriving in Paris on March 29th. I’d requested DHL shipping from...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides