• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Be considerate....

jerbear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Please wear some type of shoe in shower as well as in community living areas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well peter you understand. Lots of others do not. BC

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please wear some type of shoe in shower as well as in community living areas.

Might be a cultural difference, but I see nothing 'considerate' in wearing shoes (even flip-flops) in the shower. These have been outside/in the street/garden and then you bring all that dirt into the shower ...

Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't mind dirt.Serious infections can be spread. Blisters leaking et al. Guess it may be cultural so that would make hygiene cultural?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sure and So I won't debate this issue. I correct myself. Happy feet! Delete the post if you wish.

MRSA is serious. In my opinion.

So, if I go in the shower with bare feet the water will go over my feet, infections, fungus, etc. and drain all that into the pool of water in the shower pan.

If I wear flipflops or sandals in the shower, none of the yukies will escape my feet into the pool of water in the shower pan?

I think I wear my Birkies or Crocs in the shower more as a way to kid myself rather than really thinking I will not spread or get problems... Add to that the fecal matter and other street gunk from those plastic shoes now breong brought into the showers...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Immediately after showering, liberally apply alcohol --- or the disinfectant of your choice --- to your feet. ;):D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If everyone wore them, then it wouldn't matter if a little residual loose dirt was washed down the drain from the flip flops as no one's bare skin would touch the shower floor.
When many people shower in the same shower, often connected to many other showers, we end up with water puddling, so it's not just the surface of the floor that we come in contact with, in fact we can be standing a a quarter, half and even an inch of dirty water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, it's still not a bad idea to avoid possible fungal infections when one can. Wasn't a bad idea on the OP's part. Good rule of thumb in general.
It's just that you will still be getting your feet wet, with potentially contaminated water. I wear mine hoping the inch high sole will save me from at least some pee, but I wouldn't want to run a test on my feet afterwards.

I have been to many hostels sans flip flops. In some, my toes were curling trying to avoid touching the shower stalls. In others, it didn't matter at all. I am bringing a pair, because it is handy to have when wanted, and I found some nice comfy ones to wear post walking.

A suggestion for courtesy: whether you wear shower shoes or bare feet, take a moment to minimize any dirt and debris in the shower stall for the next person, in whatever manner is appropriate to your circumstances (rinsing the shoes in advance, directing shower water appropriately). And get a tetanus shot before you travel. (As an absolute clutz, and someone who regularly gardens without gloves the shot is very reassuring).

Person A has some germs/fungus on feet. He wears flip flops into the shower. Turns on shower and washes. Germs run onto the shower floor.

Person B has germs on feet and goes barefoot into shower. Germs transfer to shower floor.

It seems to me that wearing shower shoes wouldn't make much difference to the contamination of the shower floor.

If Person C is susceptible to fungal infections, then wearing shower shoes makes some sense. However, in a wet shower stall, some germs are still going to get splashed on their feet so the protection would be limited.

Don't forget to wear gloves and mask in the albergues! :confused:

€46,-
Person A has some germs/fungus on feet. He wears flip flops into the shower. Turns on shower and washes. Germs run onto the shower floor.

Person B has germs on feet and goes barefoot into shower. Germs transfer to shower floor.

It seems to me that wearing shower shoes wouldn't make much difference to the contamination of the shower floor.

If Person C is susceptible to fungal infections, then wearing shower shoes makes some sense. However, in a wet shower stall, some germs are still going to get splashed on their feet so the protection would be limited.

I managed 30+ days without shower shoes and lived to tell the tale. :D

Absolutely. Wearing thongs/jandals/etc offers no protection from someone spreading a fungal or other infection to the shower floor. However, if it stops someone picking up a fungal infection and spreading it, it might become a useful public hygiene measure. But so would everyone treating their feet with a suitable anti-fungal preparation, which is my preferred approach to the risk of picking up some nasty fungus in the showers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If one is worrying about the germs carried off feet onto the shower floor, consider the other places on the body from which the water will flow....

All I know is that sometimes the showers may look yuk while they are wet and being used, but that every morning before we arrive the volunteer hospitaleros have cleaned them meticulously, and go through litres and litres of disinfectant and cleaning product. So if you are the first in, you can be assured your germs will be the only ones on the floor.

To each his or her own. After catching a nasty foot fungus my first night out on my second Camino, 2014, at Orisson, I figured out why my feet smelled like cheese even after washing thoroughly with soap and water. it took a couple of days for the odor to get truly heinous...:eek:

The pharmacist at Pamplona was VERY amused when I showed him my Google Translation of my description of the problem. Whereupon, he just reached over, next to the register and handed me a tube of anti-fungal ointment. He commented (in English) that "everyone has this problem sooner or later..." We both had a good chuckle over the dialog.

The fungus was gone three days later. But, lesson learned. While at Pamplona, I found a China Bazaar and obtained an inexpensive pair of flip flips to wear in the shower. I got three Caminos out of those shower sandals, and did not have another foot infection problem. I bought the cheapest sort that fit my feet comfortably.

Now, my standard footwear kit consists of: Keen Targhee II mid height boots for walking all day, Ecco casual sandals for aprés walking and off-day use, and a pair of rubber flip-flops for shower use. The latter are NEVER worn outside the room I am staying in, or in an albergue, in the space from bunk to bathroom, shower, etc.

I could cut a couple of ounces by adopting one pair of waterproof "shoes" like Crocs for both casual and shower use. But THAT risks bringing in Lord knows what from having walked outside. So, out of consideration for all, I opt to carry the slightly extra weight necessitated by the three footwear items.

One confession, I do admit to upgrading my worn out flip-flops to a far more comfortable pair of Oofos. Occasionally, I will wear them outside. When I do they are carefully scrubbed with soap and water in a sink, before being brought into the shower again. Yes, I can be slightly OCD when needed.;)

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What??!! You washed your shoes in the sink I might use to wash my face and rinse my razor?:) This thread may go on forever. Amazing how mankind has survived this long isn't it? Wait, maybe the dinosaurs weren't killed off by a giant comet hitting the earth but rather by a lack of availability of flip-flops :(

Might be a cultural difference, but I see nothing 'considerate' in wearing shoes (even flip-flops) in the shower. These have been outside/in the street/garden and then you bring all that dirt into the shower ...

Buen Camino, SY
Agree!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK, so we've debated "flip flop or not" to death, don't forget the OP did mention bare feet in common areas, which is I guess another question entirely!
We could keep this thread going for ever ( or until the next Camino) which is..........?
Regards
George

Last edited:
What??!! You washed your shoes in the sink I might use to wash my face and rinse my razor?:) This thread may go on forever. Amazing how mankind has survived this long isn't it? Wait, maybe the dinosaurs weren't killed off by a giant comet hitting the earth but rather by a lack of availability of flip-flops :(

The sink can be rinsed and washed more readily than a shower base. What am I do to, lick them clean?

Even staying in hostals and hotels, as I am wont to do, I have three options. I can wash my contaminated footwear off in the commode, sink, or shower / tub.

I chose the option that allowed me to flow up buy washing the sink with soap and water. I hasten to add that I use the same sink to wash my face, etc.

It seems to work. Life is full of trade offs and choices. This is one I make.

I wear flip lops or a waterproof slippers in hotels and hostels...and not just in albergues! I do not wear these except when indoors. I do not walk around barefoot even in my room! This is what I need for my comfort level. When at an albergue, I put the flip flops on as soon as I take off my shoes and put them on the rack. once a week or more, if perceived needed, I clean the flip flops with a Clorox wipe! To each his own! I would not begin to dictate what someone else should do? However, I try to minimize infections while walking!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Humm, Seems like we've not quite finished with "flip flop or not."
George
PS, Many public bathing facilities do advise the wearing of foot protection.

Even staying in hostals and hotels, as I am wont to do, I have three options. I can wash my contaminated footwear off in the commode, sink, or shower / tub.
Well... there is also the sink used by the hospies to dump dirty water from cleaning the place ... often the wash basin in the backyard.

Just read all the posts...
Wonder if I have to wrap myself every night in a plastic foil before getting to bed (equally in albergues and pensiones/hostales etc) to prevent being bitten by bedbugs. Folks, getting fungus or whatever those feet things are called is nothing in comparison to bedbugs. Anyway (from experience) they won't survive in your hot and sweaty boots :D
Chill out and go walk ;)

€46,-
I did wonder in rereading the initial post if there is are cultural "taboos" (might be too strong a word) about going barefoot in someone's home or indoors. I rarely wear socks or slippers at home, and have been known to wander around barefoot or in stocking feet in my office. However, when meeting clients at home, I always make sure to wear socks or stockings (although I occasionally forget to check for holes and end up providing a toe peep show).

It occurs to me that some may simply find it rude to wander around bare foot indoors. So the courtesy isn't about health so much as trying to acknowledge other ideas of courtesy.

I don't quite know what I will do on the Camino - I can't imagine wearing sandals indoors all the time. I suppose make sure my feet are clean and not too smelly :p

Consider, in preparation for a Camino a pilgrim will research footwear options, socks, anti blister methods and all the rest of the foot stuff, doesn't make a lot of sense to me to waste all that effort and go anywhere barefoot, and risk an injury!
Regards.
George

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing to add to this ever interesting shower shoe debate: after walking I wear Birkenstock EVAs or Tevas, whichever I have brought at the time, to avoid two things - plantar fasciitis flare-up and slipping on wet tiled floors! On my Inglés last week I twice had to wear my sandals in the shower because it was above a very slippy bathtub. I would not have dared go in without them, I am sure I would have fallen over. I never walk barefoot on hard surfaces because of the PF and wear my Birkies at home too.

I never walk barefoot on hard surfaces because of the PF and wear my Birkies at home too.
Being a child of the 80s I used to poopoo Birkies as being ugly hippy shoes.

Fast forward 30 years ... I how have Birky two pairs of winter slippers (one was 75% off, so it's there for when the original pair gets too old), Madrid summer sandals in glossy fuschia and two pairs of EVAs for the Camino (upgrade from Madrid to Arizona for added stability when those became available). And all this because of my PF as well. Doctor's orders: never ever walk barefoot, always with a shoe with good arch support.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know a fabulously famous pilgrim who was upset with me when I told her she definitely should NOT soak her tired feet in the albergue's only cooking pot.

Lol, I found pilgrims feet (not sure if they were famous or not ;-) once in a bowl marked allover 'salad' in different languages with really big letters ;-) Buen Camino, SY

yeah definitely a cultural thing -- far more important : leave any communal shower absolutely clean and spotless after your ablutions, handicapped persons somewhat excepted.

I'm fairly wary of the notion of shoes in a shower.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back