• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Because I can...

Mary_Atherton

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2016)
I was recently asked....why would you attempt a 486.3+ mile walk? I've had some time to reflect on this. I believe it is good to do things out of your comfort zone from time to time. It test your ability to live with discomfort, and it opens your eyes to a wider world. It doesn't have to be every day, but it is good to stretch outside your comfortable life and be part of something different. We get stuck in our familiarity and tend to do things the same way all the time. So my attempt to do a 486.3+ mile walk will put me outside my comfort zone and open my eyes to a wider world view. And for that I am thankful/grateful/and happy to attempt it. So I guess the reply would be "because I can".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino! What wonderful intent and that you appreciate your good fortune in being able to do this.

It's good that you've had time to reflect and consider your reasons for undertaking this pilgrimage. It will be interesting to know your answer to the same question once your Camino is complete.

Buen Camino! What wonderful intent and that you appreciate your good fortune in being able to do this.

It's good that you've had time to reflect and consider your reasons for undertaking this pilgrimage. It will be interesting to know your answer to the same question once your Camino is complete.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, it will be interesting to know how to answer the same question after the Camino is complete. I'm a bit nervous about it all, but it will be good to get started. Just days away now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your comment. Yes, it will be interesting to know how to answer the same question after the Camino is complete. I'm a bit nervous about it all, but it will be good to get started. Just days away now.

Nerves are good - an indication that you are about to take a step (or a million) into the Unknown. After you've taken that first one you'll be fine.

Go Well

As I prepare for my time on the CF (Sept/Oct 2016), I think of the "why" often. "Because I can," is always near the top of the list. I'm looking forward to the time on the Camino I will spend with my son after five years away from home in the military, but mostly it will be a million steps of gratitude. I spent eight years of my life unable to walk without the use of walking aids, and had to relearn how to walk normally. Since, I have scaled mountains and have run races ... so, yes, I too look forward to walking the Camino because I can.

I wish you the very best on your Camino adventure.

As I prepare for my time on the CF (Sept/Oct 2016), I think of the "why" often. "Because I can," is always near the top of the list. I'm looking forward to the time on the Camino I will spend with my son after five years away from home in the military, but mostly it will be a million steps of gratitude. I spent eight years of my life unable to walk without the use of walking aids, and had to relearn how to walk normally. Since, I have scaled mountains and have run races ... so, yes, I too look forward to walking the Camino because I can.

Thank you. Your post made me feel really grateful. Not walking for 8 years without aid would certainly be a hard thing to do. I love your post. Yes, it makes me feel really grateful. It is good to say....because I can. I'm walking with a full heart of those who are not able to walk with me, but wish they could.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Mary_Atherton and Phoenix, you both have spent time reflecting and preparing for your Camino and I am convinced you will both live some great experiences while walking The Way!
Buen Camino!

I like this quote that someone posted on the forum recently "life begins where your comfort zone ends"
I'll add "because I can" to my list of quotes

I like this quote that someone posted on the forum recently "life begins where your comfort zone ends"
I'll add "because I can" to my list of quotes
Thanks. I must have missed that one. I love it...."life begins where your comfort zone ends". Fits perfectly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Going through a box with the remnants of a past (working) life I found this cartoon which used to sit on my desk and provide inspiration when needed. It made me smile so much when I rediscovered it. How blessed are we - in all manner of ways - to be able to step out of our comfort zones and undertake this amazing journey.

busstop_hiker.jpg

Your journey would be a great time to think about what inner strength/courage you have to take on theses challenges and how far you have come.
When I walked the Camino it was so out of character for me to do such a thing. I am not a distance walker. I am a turtle that likes to smell the roses as I walk. As I walked the Camino I did not fixate on the 500 mile number. I just put one foot in front of the other and took in the mediation, the challenges, landscapes, the people, and experiences.
My next Camino will challenge me even more as i have had back surgery and although the doctor says it will be fine, I hope I have the strength to complete it.
What a wonderful journey you have ahead of you. Buen Camino.

Your journey would be a great time to think about what inner strength/courage you have to take on theses challenges and how far you have come.
When I walked the Camino it was so out of character for me to do such a thing. I am not a distance walker. I am a turtle that likes to smell the roses as I walk. As I walked the Camino I did not fixate on the 500 mile number. I just put one foot in front of the other and took in the mediation, the challenges, landscapes, the people, and experiences.
My next Camino will challenge me even more as i have had back surgery and although the doctor says it will be fine, I hope I have the strength to complete it.
What a wonderful journey you have ahead of you. Buen Camino.
Thank you so much. I also am a turtle. I can't imagine trying to do a Camino after back surgery. I will look forward to hearing about your travels.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Going through a box with the remnants of a past (working) life I found this cartoon which used to sit on my desk and provide inspiration when needed. It made me smile so much when I rediscovered it. How blessed are we - in all manner of ways - to be able to step out of our comfort zones and undertake this amazing journey.

View attachment 26189
Great cartoon. Yes we are blessed in many way. Thanks for sharing.

Most read last week in this forum

Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back