Best arrival point to continue interrupted Camino

Appalachian

Jul 13, 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2015
In June 2015, my Camino was interrupted just past Villafranca del Bierza when I fell and broke my hand. I want to come back to finish this coming May/June and wonder if anyone has advice about the best place to fly into and bus connections to Villafranca.

Reactions: David and wayfarer
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
C

Castilian

Alsa has direct buses from Madrid (both airport and downtown) to Villafranca del Bierzo (and even to Ambasmestas if you walked that far your first time).

If you don't want to fly to Santiago de Compostela (to avoid backtracking), Alsa has direct buses to Villafranca del Bierzo and Ambasmestas from (downtown) A Coruña so A Coruña airport could be another option to consider for you.

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Mar 11, 2012
Ireland
A few and hopefully lots more.
Hi @Appalachian, the big challenge of getting to Ponferrada/Villafranca (IMO) is lining up the flight and bus/train times. It's worth doing some research on how your your potential arrival times in each of the suggested airports align with the available connections. We did this last year and ended up taking the night train from Madrid to Ponferrada. I don't necessarily recommend this (it arrives in Ponferrada at about 5am), but it was the most efficient way of getting there, in the context of our flight options.

Good luck with your planning and I hope you have an injury-free Camino this year!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Alsa runs a night bus from Madrid that only takes 5 hours to Villafranca. The train to Pontferrada/bus to Villafranca take 7 hours plus, as does the daytime bus direct from Madrid. The advantage of the daytime bus is that there are more of them.

D

Deleted member 3000

By the way, the buses also stop at Ambasmestas (actually the truck stop downhill from the actual town of Ambasmestas at La Portela de Valcarce), so you can start there instead of walking the yellow brick road out of Villafranca del Bierzo. That starting point is 15km from O Cebreiro and 27km from Fonfria (the two better stops in that stretch).

Reactions: Tamas

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides