Best Ultra Lightweight Sleeping Bags for the Pilgrimage in March-April

MTG

Jan 6, 2022
Tampa, FL USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Starting first Camino (Norte) on 1 Apr 2022
Just wondering from past Pilgrims that have hiked the Frances what recommendations you might have for a good ultra lightweight sleeping bag for March- April. Thanks in advance for your input!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Rick M

Veteran Member
Dec 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
April ('16,'18, '19, 22)
Sept ('21, '23)
Bear in mind that you are going to be sleeping indoors on a foam mattress, if you are using albergues for accommodations. A "warm" sleeping bag is not generally needed, buts something good down to 10C definitely is. Many veterans (including me!) use a down quilt rather than a sleeping bag to save weight and size. Plan a silk liner as well. Some complain that the quilts are too slippery and fall off easily. It is true, but the size and weight advantage (as well as cost!) more than make up for this inconvenience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Rick M

Veteran Member
Dec 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
April ('16,'18, '19, 22)
Sept ('21, '23)
I tuck my tiny down blanket inside my silk sleep sack. I also have ties that keep it in place.
My better half also likes to seal herself into an envelope to be mailed off to la-la-land. This would qualify as a form or torture for a tosser-and-turner like me.

Grousedoctor

Apr 15, 2016
www.caminodailyphoto.com
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Mark L

Jan 18, 2020
Cajarc, France
Done : Le Puy to SJPdP in 2020.
Planned : Saint Jean to Santiago in 2021
Just wondering from past Pilgrims that have hiked the Frances what recommendations you might have for a good ultra lightweight sleeping bag for March- April. Thanks in advance for your input!
Not sure where you are located but Alpkit do a light quilt which I think is called a cloud cover quilt.
light, not expensive and enough if paired with travel sheet
you may also fancy spraying the sheet etc with permethrin before setting off to help ward off any bugs

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
I use this sleeping bag that I bought at Decathlon. The large is 680 grams. It is insulated to 15C. I use it in November and December and I do not have a problem with it. A few days I added a blanket but some additional clothes work well too. Alot cheaper than the other models mentioned and I have used the same bag for 3 caminos and it is in as good as shape today as it was when I bought it.

NM99

Mar 9, 2022
Gatineau (Aylmer), Quebec, Canada
Francés - StJPP-Santiago May-June 2022
Reactions: Keith H
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Looks like a sleeping bag and a silk insider is a necessity hiking through the Pyrenees in March but in April as well from Puente La Reina to Santiago as well?
When you are anywhere near the Pyrenees, you will be sleeping in a heated albergue (SJPP, Orisson, Roncesvalles). Occasionally elsewhere you will find an unheated albergue. Layering various clothes should be enough, combined with quite a lightweight sleeping bag and/or liner. A puffy jacket or vest is nice to have in the evenings and can be worn to bed. Don't waste space/weight in a heavier sleeping bag when your clothes can serve more purposes.

HeatherL

Oct 2, 2022
Perth
October 2019
September 2023
This is just what I did and it worked. I have a down 3/4 length over jacket for cold mornings. Weighs like a feather. Second use for it - put a leg into each arm for sleeping and it covers most of lower body as a blanket. Top half of body fully dressed. I didn't carry a sleeping bag of any description.

mla1

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
I love my small (one pound) sea to summit traveller 1 down bag. It is a very light bag. I still was chilly some nights in some albergues....but clothes, bag, and a liner usually worked. And it opens up and makes a nice light blanket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

MTG

Jan 6, 2022
Tampa, FL USA
Starting first Camino (Norte) on 1 Apr 2022
When you are anywhere near the Pyrenees, you will be sleeping in a heated albergue (SJPP, Orisson, Roncesvalles). Occasionally elsewhere you will find an unheated albergue. Layering various clothes should be enough, combined with quite a lightweight sleeping bag and/or liner. A puffy jacket or vest is nice to have in the evenings and can be worn to bed. Don't waste space/weight in a heavier sleeping bag when your clothes can serve more purposes.
Ordered an Ultra Light weight one with goose down just over 1lb yesterday; thanks

RussB

Jan 17, 2020
London
Still planning
Not sure where you are located but Alpkit do a light quilt which I think is called a cloud cover quilt.
light, not expensive and enough if paired with travel sheet
you may also fancy spraying the sheet etc with permethrin before setting off to help ward off any bugs
This is what I used with a silk bag liner, would recommend

Reactions: WalkingInGers

EstherSTL

Feb 16, 2023
USA
April 2023 Camino Francés
Hi, I have a question. I ordered a mummy sleeping bag, and I am going to buy a liner. I have heard comments about the mummy format being a bit uncomfortable for side-sleepers (which I am.) Having in mind that I may want to use the liner without the sleeping bag, I thought of getting a rectangular liner. Has anybody experienced this combination mummy sleeping bag/rectangular liner being an issue?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
I am going to buy a liner.
Has anybody experienced this combination
Why are you buying a liner? Is it to line your sleeping bag to keep it clean and add warmth, to put outside of the mummy bag to add a layer of warmth, or only to use completely separately on hot nights? Some people simply don't like being constricted in a mummy bag, and other people think it is nice and cosy. Used separately, it is totally a personal preference between rectangular and mummy styles.

It is hard to comment on the combination since I don't quite understand how you would intend to combine them. Some people put a down blanket inside a liner because the liner enclosure helps keep the blanket from slipping off so easily, That might apply if you intend to open up the mummy bag and use it more as a blanket.

EstherSTL

Feb 16, 2023
USA
Why are you buying a liner? Is it to line your sleeping bag to keep it clean and add warmth, to put outside of the mummy bag to add a layer of warmth, or only to use completely separately on hot nights? Some people simply don't like being constricted in a mummy bag, and other people think it is nice and cosy. Used separately, it is totally a personal preference between rectangular and mummy styles.

It is hard to comment on the combination since I don't quite understand how you would intend to combine them. Some people put a down blanket inside a liner because the liner enclosure helps keep the blanket from slipping off so easily, That might apply if you intend to open up the mummy bag and use it more as a blanket.
HI C Clearly, you are helping me get to my real concern. I have a mummy sleeping bag for above 30 degrees which I intend to use as a sleeping bag, and I am trying to justify buying a liner to use it inside the sleeping bag. In the April-May time that I will be there, the average temperature will be 55F/ 12.7C. My real question is, will the 30 degree sleeping bag (without a liner) keep me warm around the 55 degree albergue's temperature? Please chime in...:)

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Ok. What other clothes will you have, for example a fleece or down vest/jacket, or a base layer of merino wool that you can sleep in, or layer any time? Buff? Wool socks? Most of the time your 30° bag will likely be fine, but in the worst case, put on all your layers, which can be clothes instead of official bedding. That is why you need to plan everything as a system of multiuse layers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

EstherSTL

Feb 16, 2023
USA
Ok. What other clothes will you have, for example a fleece or down vest/jacket, or a base layer of merino wool that you can sleep in, or layer any time? Buff? Wool socks? Most of the time your 30° bag will likely be fine, but in the worst case, put on all your layers, which can be clothes instead of official bedding. That is why you need to plan everything as a system of multiuse layers.
Totally agree! I feel a lot better about optimizing the use of the clothes that I am bringing instead of adding to the weight and the budget. Thank you so much!

Madis

Jan 24, 2022
Estonia
caminopilgrim.travel.blog
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
This is just what I did and it worked. I have a down 3/4 length over jacket for cold mornings. Weighs like a feather. Second use for it - put a leg into each arm for sleeping and it covers most of lower body as a blanket. Top half of body fully dressed. I didn't carry a sleeping bag of any description.
I have been mixing layers of clothes for sleep during Camino, but I just now realized that I can add my fleece jacket as a bonus layer for legs. Thanks! This concept will save me a ton of backpack space.

Just to clarify for others. I am hiking with a 300 gram silk/merino blanket as gear that is only for sleeping. It really takes no space. In addition I have clean socks, leggings, shirt and fleece jacket for both sleeping and evening wear.

For a Spring Camino I will only have to add for sleeping knee high woolen socks, a puffy jacket and a beanie hat. All three bonus items will be potentially also used for morning hiking at freezing temperatures on the Via de la Plata next Spring.

Reactions: HeatherL

Sacha

Peregrina
Jun 24, 2015
Andorra
05/24 C. Portugues
09/25 CF Ponferrada - Fisterra
I love my Sea to Summit TR1. Its a lightweight down sleeping bag that you can unzip completely to create a normal duvet/blanket/quilt. I combine this with a silk liner.

Reactions: RussB
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Madis

Jan 24, 2022
Estonia
caminopilgrim.travel.blog
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
I have been mixing layers of clothes for sleep during Camino, but I just now realized that I can add my fleece jacket as a bonus layer for legs. Thanks! This concept will save me a ton of backpack space.

Just to clarify for others. I am hiking with a 300 gram silk/merino blanket as gear that is only for sleeping. It really takes no space. In addition I have clean socks, leggings, shirt and fleece jacket for both sleeping and evening wear.

For a Spring Camino I will only have to add for sleeping knee high woolen socks, a puffy jacket and a beanie hat. All three bonus items will be potentially also used for morning hiking at freezing temperatures on the Via de la Plata next Spring.
Note: I did just purchase the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme for Via de la Plata for early Spring next year. It does fit in the waterproof cover pocket underneath my backpack. I will just put the waterproof cover to one of the belt pockets.

ZampeBianche

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Camino Frances, September 2023
Currently shopping for a ultralight sleep system and I've seen some great looking super light down and synthetic bags like the Sea to Summit traveler, Near Zero, or quilts from Enlightened Equipment. However, I'm worried about ruining nice (and expensive!!!) gear if it gets exposed to bedbugs and has to go in the dryer. EE recommended freezing the synthetic quilt but I wasn't sure if that would be an option on the camino. Anyone have experience treating ultralight bags/quilts while walking?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Sacha

Peregrina
Jun 24, 2015
Andorra
05/24 C. Portugues
09/25 CF Ponferrada - Fisterra
Currently shopping for a ultralight sleep system and I've seen some great looking super light down and synthetic bags like the Sea to Summit traveler, Near Zero, or quilts from Enlightened Equipment. However, I'm worried about ruining nice (and expensive!!!) gear if it gets exposed to bedbugs and has to go in the dryer. EE recommended freezing the synthetic quilt but I wasn't sure if that would be an option on the camino. Anyone have experience treating ultralight bags/quilts while walking?
I havent had to treat my Sea to Summit TR1 for bedbugs yet, but if I have to I would do it with steam. Could try to ask a drycleaner (tintoreria), or a car cleaner might also have a steamer

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.