• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao -> Santander feedback

Michaelcamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (30%) or Norte (70%) in 2024?
Hi Everyone,

As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first try on the Camino Del Norte between Bilbao and Santander.
I used correos https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/fr/camino-del-norte-the-northern-way/hebergements to pickup my luggage before 8 AM the morning and receive it at the next hotel after 2PM. 40 Euros for that piece of Camino
Day 0.
Reached Bilbao. Visited the old city and the Guggenheim Museum. External parts of the Museum and the building itself were great. The art inside de museum did not touch my soul. We are all different. :) Pintxos in the old town bar were not so great either. No luck with my choices. :-(. But anyway the adventure is there
Day1.
Bilbao -> Santurzi ( next to Portugalete) via the right side of the Nervion. 17,5 km. Bilbao and industrial neighborhood. Not so great but as i was my first day i needed to warm up. took the Gutxo Bridge. Intersting structure Perhaps the official road is more interesting.
I saw that a lot of people are bypassing the exitof Bilbao, and the entrance either.
Day2.
Santurzi -> Castro Urdiales. 22,5 km + bus
Took the bus A3335 from Santurzi to the beach La Arena ( a bit before Pobena). Finally reaching a bit of nature. It was great. Country side, pastures, and sea
In Onton, as i had saved my legs 10 km by taking the bus i did not go via the dangerous national road but i took the old official road. Up and downs but wonderful nature and no one. Just the birds singing and the bells of the goats. I recommand it!
In Castro Urdiales in the first seaside there is a bar called Bitacora. Greatest pintxos of all my trip. Not too fat and really tasty. Their beer was good too.
Day3.
Castro Urdiales -> Laredo 37 km.
That was intense.
I did not take any shortcuts via the national road and so i do the loooong way. with 800meters up and 800 meters down.
The view and the nature were great too but a bit too much damaged by the A8 highway (view and/or noise). After a break in Hazas i was clearly exhausted and the final part along the sea was clearly difficult and dangerous so take care of the stones in those little paths and scratchy bushes. Nearly cry when i reached my accommodation in Laredo. But delighted about my performance and my journey.
Beautifull historic center in Castro Urdiales and Laredo. Talked with some Pilgrims but mainly local spanish guys. Practiced my spanish as i could. :)
Day4
Laredo -> Guemes.
walked like John Wayne along the long seaside path road of Laredo, suffering from the day before but finally the body reacted.
Took the little boat to Santona. There, i decided to walk on the beach instead of the pedestrian/bicycle path. Then as the weather was great i climbed the risky little moutain to reach fantastic view and went down to the huge Noja beach.
Caribbean Sensation. :)
Noja is a great village, not too much damaged by too big buildings.
Then from Noja to Guemes, i took the official road to reduce my trip. There were little villages and then boring roads so i was happy to reach my Posada for the night and the great little restaurant next to it.
Day5.
Guemes -> Santander. 17,5km
4km to a little village and then the road switched to coastal paths giving the feeling of the Normandy in France.
little chat with pilgrims and walking in the huge Somo beach ( even bigger than the Noja one).
Then took the boat to Santander.
Visit a bit Santander by night : Pintxos and Spanish wine.....Too much.... :)
The next day i took the bus back to Bilbao to grab my car and go back in France for one more week of holiday with my family before back in Belgium.
Thanks to this forum for the support and answering the questions. Quite more efficient than Facebook groups by the way.
This experience was great and i hope either continue my walk from Santander to Gijon next year or perhaps do Irun-Bilbao as i have bypassed this for my first try as i was not confident on my physical ability. And it was a good idea.
Sorry for my bad English and Buen camino to everyone.
Michael

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone,

As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first try on the Camino Del Norte between Bilbao and Santander.
I use correos https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/fr/camino-del-norte-the-northern-way/hebergements to pickup my luggage before 8 AM the morning and receive it at the next hotel after 2PM. 40 Euros for that.
Day 0.
Reach Bilbao. Visit the old city and the Guggenheim Museum. External parts of the Museum and the building itself were great. The art inside de museum did not touch my soul. We are all different. :) Pintxos in the old town bar was not so great either. No luck with my choices. :-(. But anyway the adventure will begin
Day1.
Bilbao -> Santurzi ( next to Portugalete) via the right side of the Nervion. 17,5 km. Bilbao and industrial neighborhood. Not so great but as i was my first day i needed to warm up. took the Gutxo Bridge. Perhaps the official road is more interesting.
I saw that a lot of people are bypassing the exit of Bilbao, and the entrance either.
Day2.
Took the bus A3335 from Santurzi to the beach La Arena ( a bit before Santona). Finally reaching a bit of nature. It was great. Country side, pastures, and sea
In Onton, as i had saved my legs 10 km by taking the bus i did not go via the dangerous national road but i took the old official road. Up and downs but wonderful nature and no one. Just the birds singing and the bells of the goats. I recommand it!
In Castro Urdiales in the first seaside there is a bar called Bitacora. Greatest pintxos of all my trip. Not too fat and really tasty. Their beer was good too.
Day3.
That was intense.
I did not take any shortcuts via the national road and so i do the loooong way. with 800meters up and 800 meters down.
The view and the nature were great too but a bit too much damage by the A8 highway (view and/or noise). After a break in Hazas i was clearly exhausted and the final part along the sea was clearly difficult and dangerous so take care of the stones in those little paths and scratchy bushes. Nearly cry when i reach my accommodation in Laredo. But delighted about my performance and my journey.
Beautifull historic center in Castro Urdiales and Laredo. Talked with some Pilgrims but mainly local spanish guys. Practiced my spanish as i could.
Day4
Laredo -> Guemes.
walked like John Wayne along the long seaside path road of Laredo, suffering from the day before but finally the body reacted.
Took the little boat to Santona. There, i decided to walk on the beach instead of the pedestrian/bicycle path. Then as the weather was great i climbed the risky little moutain to reach fantastic view and went down to the huge Noja beach.
Caribean Sensation. :)
Noja is a great village, not too much damage by too big buildings.
Then from Noja to Guemes it was little villages and then boring road so i was happy to reach my Posada for the night and the great little restaurant next to it.
Day5.
4km to a little village and then the road switch to coastal paths giving the feeling of the Normandy in France.
little chat with pilgrims and walking in the huge Somo beach ( even bigger than the Noja one).
The next day i took the bus back to Bilbao to grab my car and go back in France for one more week of holiday with my family before back in Belgium.
Thanks to this forum for the support and answering the questions. Quite more efficient than Facebook groups by the way.
This experience was great and i hope either continue my walk from Santander to Gijon next year or perhaps do Irun-Bilbao as i have bypassed this for my first try as i was not confident on my physical ability. And it was a good idea.
Michael

Lovely summary! And your English is great :)

Hi Everyone,

I use correos https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/fr/camino-del-norte-the-northern-way/hebergements to pickup my luggage before 8 AM the morning and receive it at the next hotel after 2PM. 40 Euros for that.
Day 0.
Reach Bilbao. Visit the old city and the Guggenheim Museum. External parts of the Museum and the building itself were great. The art inside de museum did not touch my soul. We are all different. :) Pintxos in the old town bar was not so great either. No luck with my choices. :-(. But anyway the adventure will begin
Day1.
Bilbao -> Santurzi ( next to Portugalete) via the right side of the Nervion. 17,5 km. Bilbao and industrial neighborhood. Not so great but as i was my first day i needed to warm up. took the Gutxo Bridge. Perhaps the official road is more interesting.
I saw that a lot of people are bypassing the exit of Bilbao, and the entrance either.
Day2.
Took the bus A3335 from Santurzi to the beach La Arena ( a bit before Santona). Finally reaching a bit of nature. It was great. Country side, pastures, and sea
Day3.
That was intense.
The view and the nature were great too but a bit too much damage by the A8 highway (view and/or noise). After a break in Hazas i was clearly exhausted and the final part along the sea was clearly difficult and dangerous so take care of the stones in those little paths and scratchy bushes. Nearly cry when i reach my accommodation in Laredo. But delighted about my performance and my journey.
Beautifull historic center in Castro Urdiales and Laredo. Talked with some Pilgrims but mainly local spanish guys. Practiced my spanish as i could.
Day4
Laredo -> Guemes.
Caribean Sensation. :)
Noja is a great village, not too much damage by too big buildings.
Then from Noja to Guemes it was little villages and then boring road so i was happy to reach my Posada for the night and the great little restaurant next to it.
Day5.
4km to a little village and then the road switch to coastal paths giving the feeling of the Normandy in France.
Michael
Thank you for the information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One fun thing I did a few days ago was take the boat from Bilbao to Portugalete, then started walking.
Yes i met austrian pilgrims that took the metro to portugalete and then the same bus A3335 as me to reach Pobena.

I have forgot a general remark : prepare you journey with Buen camino or Gronze or any other good website/ app and not with the youtube testimonies. ( Be there done that). Those guys take the shortcuts by national roads. It's dangerous and clearly not intersting.

Yes, I enjoyed the walk from Irun to Santillana de Mar two years ago. It is a wonderful mixture of nature and culture. Next year I will continue to Gijon and I am locking for. I collect some informations about history, culture and geography of the camino del Norte to be better prepared. If you are interested you can find it under www.jakobsweghintergrund.com. Enjoy your memories!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...
We are here in Irun, staying at Hotel Alcazar. Where do we start the Camino?
Hi everybody, I have read all the threads on this topic and seen multiple replies. Some are positive others seem to be vague. Ok travel if this route what cities offer the best cultural...
Dear pilgrim companions. We are currently cycling the CDN, battery free, and will soon arrive in Gijon. We have arranged to spend the arrival night here then catch train/bus to Oviedo for 2 nights...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.