• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

birds on the meseta

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Primitivo
Hello fellow pilgrims,
When you hike up onto the Meseta a few km before Hornillos, there are groups of great birds of prey cycling in the air high above. Such an impressive sight. Can anyone tell me what kind of birds they are?
Thank you for your help and buen camino to everyone :)
Anna, Denmark

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If they were large raptors in large groups and circling like that, they were probably griffon vultures.
Over the agriculture fields all up and down the Camino I quite frequently saw various species of hawks circling low, scanning the rows for mice and such.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe someone can tell me what kind of bird this resident of Hornillos is. This guy needed about 15 to 20 minutes to recover from flying into a window before realizing he could end up being my dinner and flying away.
D18300-HOR.jpg

[Edited much later to say that the bird has been identified as a Black Redstart. Thank you people.]

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe someone can tell me what kind of bird this resident of Hornillos is. This guy needed about 15 to 20 minutes to recover from flying into a window before realizing he could end up being my dinner and flying away.
View attachment 29332
Based on the bit of rust/orange around the tail feathers, I would say that's a Black Redstart.
blackredstart280112.jpg

I am impressed that you both either had pictures or you started scanning resources. I saw 3 deer, a Cookoo bird, A small viper & a lot of Storks. I just didn't take any pictures. I am hoping some of you out there did.

I am impressed that you both either had pictures or you started scanning resources. I saw 3 deer, a Cookoo bird, A small viper & a lot of Storks. I just didn't take any pictures. I am hoping some of you out there did.
I've always been a bit of a birder geek, so when walking the Camino I always noticed the many species along the path, especially the raptors, which are my favorite. Like everyone else I was impressed with the large griffon vultures, especially the first day over the Pyrenees. I also saw red and black kites, also raptors. Of course I saw the storks, which are cool, especially when they clatter their beaks.
Only saw deer twice, running across the path in Galicia on foggy mornings. Pretty cool. Reminded me of roaming the woods in the morning here in the US. Only snakes I saw were dead. Saw a lot of small rodents along the agriculture fields, running about the edge between the ditch and the stalks.
I imagine if one humped a really nice camera setup with telephoto lens, there would be an abundance of birder photo ops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, Mark Lee and SYates, yes they must have been vultures. I didn´t think, I would meet them so far from the Pyreneers :) Thank you for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The stork beeing really seldom in Denmark, I spend most of my time on my Camino trying to take a picture of one. But everytime I pressed the button, the storks would hide in their nests. Came back with 70 photoes of stork nests, that looked absolutely empty. I am sure the storks laughed at me :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got sent to Palencia to have a medical issue checked out and after I left the hospital, walked to the cathedral. The church was covered with storks. 100's of them. Flying in and out, clappering with their beaks. Exciting moment and the Spaniards were taking as many photos as I was. Walking back to the hotel, I noticed that every chimney and antenna had a stork sitting on it for the night. The next morning, before catching my train to Leon to continue my Camino, went back to the church. Still plenty of storks flying and sitting there.
Best moment of my Camino.

Best guess is that this was a migration stop on their way to Africa as this was the beginning of Oct.

I got sent to Palencia to have a medical issue checked out and after I left the hospital, walked to the cathedral. The church was covered with storks. 100's of them. Flying in and out, clappering with their beaks. Exciting moment and the Spaniards were taking as many photos as I was. Walking back to the hotel, I noticed that every chimney and antenna had a stork sitting on it for the night. The next morning, before catching my train to Leon to continue my Camino, went back to the church. Still plenty of storks flying and sitting there.
Best moment of my Camino.

Best guess is that this was a migration stop on their way to Africa as this was the beginning of Oct.
Wow, that must have been a wonderful sight! Thanks for sharing, Jodean :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Based on the bit of rust/orange around the tail feathers, I would say that's a Black Redstart.

Thank you @Mark Lee.

Here's the only other wildlife pictures I have. I did take a lot of stork pictures but they didn't survive my SD card accident and weren't that great anyway. Leaving Villafranca del Montes de Oca in the morning I did see a deer.
Q05900-HOR.jpg Q06800-HOR.jpg

I was looking through this site's pictures looking for one that nearly matched mine and I saved links to bird pictures that I saw including one of a Spanish vulture.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...panish-vulture-in-mansilla-de-las-mulas.5136/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/looking-for-lunch.4888/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/day-13-of-vdlp-2016.4848/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/stork-on-the-beltower.4712/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/beauty.5437/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/stork-searching-for-frogs.5252/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd go with Mark Lee that is a blck redstart, definitely not a sparrow.
yeah, sparrows and finches have more robust beaks, I suppose for crushing and eating seeds and such
redstarts are in the flycatcher family of birds, and I suppose that thinner beaks aids in catching insects while in flight

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.