• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book exchanging

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not common but it does occur. A book left on a communal table may be appreciated or may provoke a frantic search for the owner… a note in Spanish and English “in search of a new reader” might avoid the maybe 😉
I certainly don't want to create a headache, I'll bear this in mind

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have seen books left in various languages by pilgrims at our albergues. There may also be some guidebooks or materials from the regional tourism office. We often had maps, pamplets, etc. I would check with the hospitalero/a if you are leaving or want to take a book.

That was interesting to read through. Weight is certainly an issue for so many it seems so a book is not going to make the cut for many. I think about down time personally, I walk now routinely for six hours and I sleep 5 to 6 hours a night. That leaves me with half a day. There's showering and a bit of laundry and getting a meal perhaps but that leaves a boat load of time to pass. I can't read anything on a phone for a prolonged time, five to ten minutes and I'm maxed out. Personally I'm tired of seeing everyone staring at screens no matter where you go ...especially the ones walking across the street pushing a pram and paying no attention to the dangers all around. Of course there's little to worry about in a bed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it is fine to have a book, but they do add weight and frankly, there are so many different languages, it is hard to have a book exchange unless you read Spanish, French, Dutch, German, English, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, etc. I am certain you will find some books, but the selection may be slim.

I was surprised when I did a search that nothing came up on the topic so here we go.
Is it common in the albergues to have a few shelves of books free to take and exchange out ones you have?
10 years ago I had no problem exchanging books on the camino, but sadly those days have almost gone. Occasionally you might find a book left somewhere, and I still do leave paperbacks in albergues. Sometimes I have to carry it an extra day or two to be able to leave it where someone else can pick it up (in an albergue instead of a pension). But I have found good books recently – e.g. someone left “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed last year, which I devoured, and left at another albergue a few days further on. But don’t bank on finding anything. I download about 10 books onto my Kindle on my phone before I set off, in case I don’t find any hard copies along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back