• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booked my flight, does this mean it's really happening?! Frances route from SJPP - Late Oct.-Dec (Solo walker from Missouri, USA)

JW321

Time of past OR future Camino
Possibly planning for Oct. 2023
Hey all!
I have been wanting to walk the Camino ever since I met someone a few years back in a swiss hostel that had just finished her walk. Her walking story sounded amazing. Today I booked my flight to Pamplona! Arriving in Saint Jean De Pied De Port on October 24th. I have a lot I need to figure out before then, so I think I will be asking some questions on this forum over the next couple weeks.

The one thing I have done so far is compile a packing list, and then eliminate items from it. It is mostly items I already have for travel, but a few new items. I will post a packing list here soon for a critique. My goal is around 12lbs (5.5kg) and in a 30L bag. Does anyone have experience with the Arcteryx Aerios 30? It's the one that felt the best at REI the other day (with 15lbs in it.) and I am considering it.

I will be traveling solo, but I really enjoy meeting people. I have stayed in MANY hostels over my travels and typically have no issues meeting and hanging out with new people. I am also looking forward to many alone miles to myself. So a mix of both would be great, and by the looks of it, that seems to be a solo travelers experience on the Camino Frances.

A couple question I do have right off the bat.
1) Weather in Nov-Dec and any accommodations I should make for that? I will be starting at the very end of October and plan on taking my time. I will probably be walking into December. Smartwool socks, long pants, long sleeve shirt, glove liners, merino wool beanie, wind breaker, and light/medium jacket are what I am thinking I would need. Does this sound sufficient for warmth? Should I consider an additional base layer?
2) I read that winter is more of a down season. I also see there are mixed opinions about booking albergues ahead of time. I will likely try to book the first couple a head of time and then book as I go. Do many of them close down in Nov or Dec? Does booking as I go sound like an appropriate approach?
3) This last one is probably a personal preference one, but I am up for suggestions. The only tech I am bringing is my iphone. I am wondering what the best way to keep track of planned route/stops and reservations. I was thinking just a google sheet, but thought there might be a better alternative app out there. I just purchased the Wise Pilgrim Frances app, but havent explored it yet. Is it good for that, or any suggested alternatives?

Any suggestions are welcome, and I'm sure I will post other specific question in their specific forum categories in the coming weeks. I am looking forward to getting out there, meeting people, walking, struggling, and having a good adventure.

JW

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful! It does start to get cold so you may need a little extra warm clothing. Probably you'll still experience both hot and cold. I would definitely bring a base layer. A lot of housing closes in October until Easter. Here's a website that will list open Albergues for the winter. Although it looks like they haven't brought up the list yet for the season.

If you use booking.com while walking, you'll have most of the information, except for places that don't accept bookings. Using the booking app in conjunction with Wise Pilgrim, and the gronze.com website should reveal almost all of your booking options

You might want to edit your title so that it is more obvious that you are October-November-Dec. walker. Lots of people here have walked over the winter and can offer you great advice.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would recommend downloading booking.com app. So many albergues are on there so that can help you keep track.

I think you will be fine with one base later. I walked at a similar time and wore a long sleeve, fleece, rain jacket. But you may need a short sleeve for the meseta. I was on the Meseta in late Oct-early Nov and it was hot.

Traditionally it rains a lot the closer you get to Santiago so down might not be the best choice for that. My husband spend the month of November in Santiago a few years ago and it rained almost every day ( a lot). We have upgraded to Altus ponchos for our December-January Camino this year.

If you use booking.com while walking, you'll have most of the information, except for places that don't accept bookings. Using the booking app in conjunction with Wise Pilgrim, and the gronze.com website should reveal almost all of your booking options
Thanks for the booking.com suggestion. In the coming days I will look around at the wise Pilgrim app and gronze.com. I updated the thread title also, thanks!
I think you will be fine with one base later. I walked at a similar time and wore a long sleeve, fleece, rain jacket. But you may need a short sleeve for the meseta. I was on the Meseta in late Oct-early Nov and it was hot.
Good to know!
Traditionally it rains a lot the closer you get to Santiago so down might not be the best choice for that. My husband spend the month of November in Santiago a few years ago and it rained almost every day ( a lot). We have upgraded to Altus ponchos for our December-January Camino this year.
Here is the jacket I have and was going to take. NF Dryzzle Not down and their highest waterproof level. I did look up that Altus poncho, and that is NICE looking. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did look up that Altus poncho, and that is NICE looking.
The Altus poncho (which is really not a poncho at all, it's a raincoat with room for your backpack) really is pretty great. And it's not only a lot less expensive that the jacket you are considering, it's lighter weight! It's great because it keeps you and your gear dry. With a rain jacket and pack cover the backpack straps will still get wet. Since the Altus isn't really a poncho it doesn't blow around as like a regular poncho does. The front zip makes it easier to regulate the heat build up too. (no, I don't work for Altus, and I don't even own one, but several of my friends have them. I made my own DIY version)

Here are the weights for each size:

small 325 g / 11.46 oz
M/L 343 g / 12.1 oz
XL/XXL 399 g / 14.07 oz

You can order one from this store in Spain - their shipping cost to the US is very reasonable. @SFHoneybee and some other forum members have ordered from there.

Or, if you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port you can reserve one at this store, though the price is pretty much the same.

Starting November, many albergues shut down as well as restaurants. Bars, in between the major towns, if open, may well open later. You may not find anything open between some of the major towns, especially by mid November. So bring snacks, water with you!

Do not rely on the list call ahead the night before to confirm the albergue is open. Also if the weather is bad, call again the day you are walking, to reconfirm that the place is open…especially if there is snow!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here is the list of albergues opened in low season:
alberguesinvierno
Please, take care to call two days before in order to check that an albergue will really be opened: if there are not any pilgrims, the hospitaleros could close it...

JW321,

Late autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although during past years albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. The hospitaleros usually know what was open on the next section. Walking in late autumn I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Howwver you must be prepared for cold. Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
JW321,

Late autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although during past years albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. The hospitaleros usually know what was open on the next section. Walking in late autumn I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Howwver you must be prepared for cold. Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino!
Wow, that was a great kit list and tip read. I will be reading that again as I finalize my pack! The bed selection wasn't something I thought of as most hostels I have stayed at in the past give you a bed number. And I think I will start very much as a "snail" and see how that goes!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, that was a great kit list and tip read. I will be reading that again as I finalize my pack! The bed selection wasn't something I thought of as most hostels I have stayed at in the past give you a bed number. And I think I will start very much as a "snail" and see how that goes!
In addition to what others have written - get a pair of termo-underwear (long) - it doesn't take up too much space and remember gloves. Personally I would say you are a bit on the small size (backpack) for that time of year - but to each his own. I have tried galicia in late october and it was cold when the sun was down - and some albergues are not heated.

In addition to what others have written - get a pair of termo-underwear (long) - it doesn't take up too much space and remember gloves. Personally I would say you are a bit on the small size (backpack) for that time of year - but to each his own. I have tried galicia in late october and it was cold when the sun was down - and some albergues are not heated.
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure about the 30L. I think what I will do next week is take all the packings up to REI and see how well they fit in the 30L. I will pretty quickly know if I need to size up.
Yep, it seems like the consensus is to bring a base layer thermo. Adding it to the list.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.