Booking ahead and misc. questions for a first timer

Rilex77

May 10, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2018)
Hello all! I will start my very first camino on tomorrow and I am so excited and very nervous. I am doing the last 100k or so to Santiago from Sarria. I've booked a place in Sarria for tomorrow night because my train from Madrid will arrive in the evening. I was wondering if I should book ahead for the rest of my trip. The reading I've done so far suggests that it is not quite the busy season yet but it is picking up. I'm just a nervous I will struggle with finding a place.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get the camino credential in Sarria?

Any last minute advice to keep from making rookie mistakes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

november_moon

Veteran Member
Mar 10, 2012
I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding lodging. Just be flexible - if the first place you try is full, go to the next one, and maybe walk to the next town if you are striking out - often the people running the alberques will call ahead for you to see of another place has space if you choose to walk on. Also, in addition to alberques, there are casa rurales and hotels available - more money than a bed in an alberque, but if you have the budget, they are a good option.

A lot of people follow the stages in guidebooks - Bierley is a popular one - so lodging in the towns at the end of each published stage tend to fill up. One method to avoid that is just to stop in other towns other than the ones at the ends of those stages.

Also, if you are finding places are filling up, then perhaps stop a little earlier in the day - walk until 2 instead of 3 or 4, for example.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

J&LM

Apr 18, 2017
Sarria - SDC (2017)
Hello all! I will start my very first camino on tomorrow and I am so excited and very nervous. I am doing the last 100k or so to Santiago from Sarria. I've booked a place in Sarria for tomorrow night because my train from Madrid will arrive in the evening. I was wondering if I should book ahead for the rest of my trip. The reading I've done so far suggests that it is not quite the busy season yet but it is picking up. I'm just a nervous I will struggle with finding a place.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get the camino credential in Sarria?

Any last minute advice to keep from making rookie mistakes?

Having done the same walk last June, we were glad to have made reservations for the end of each stage. Not so much because of crowds, but just to not have to search for accommodations at the conclusion of every long and hot day! It made things easy.

I can't answer where to acquire a credencial (pilgrim passport) in Sarria, as we had ours before leaving home. If you mean a sello (stamp that goes in the credencial), your lodging in Sarria should be able to provide that.

Have a wonderful experience!

Reactions: Pscarmen

CdnDreamer

Jan 4, 2015
Frances (12, 15 & 18) San Salvador (18), Portuguese (19)
The big change I notice after reaching Sarria is no one takes their backpack off when they go into restaurants and bars. You really need to take it off, as there just isn't room to turn around without hitting someone. Those of us who have been walking for weeks just leave the backpack outside - knowing that if it gets taken we don't have to carry it any longer! ;)
There are so many people starting out from Sarria, so don't worry about making rookie mistakes. Just try to take it slow, and look after your feet. Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides