• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Broken ankle, alternative way to travel

ScattyT

Hi all,

I was due to walk part of camino del Norte from San Sebastian on 4th
August. Unfortunately I managed to break my ankle last weekend so although
The cast will be last I probably won't b able to walk very far each day at all.

Can any1 suggest any alternative means of transport as I'd still reallike to go,
Even if it means doing my own thing in the day and meeting my friends in the evening.

Also do u think the albergues would be understanding and let us book in advance
in the circumstances.

Thanks in advance 4 any advice, as u can imagine I'm extremely disappointed, so if I can
find some way to still do the route it would be great.

Thanks
Tanya

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a bummer! There are buses, trains, and taxis, though the buses and trains may not go to your desired stopping spot each night. There are hostals and hotels along the way; albergues are usually for pilgrims on foot, bicycle, or horseback. If you had trudged thirty kilometers in the heat to discover that the last albergue bed was taken by someone who had arrived in a taxi, albeit with an ankle they broke before they left home, what would be your reaction? Would your tragedy become their tragedy? You have my best hopes for finding a way to accomplish your objectives.

Sorry to hear about your ankle.
We only have one thought and that is that you may be able to use the FEVE (narrow guage railway that crosses N. Spain). There is a RENFE rail link from San Sebastain to Bilbao, then the FEVE runs to Santander (3 trains daily). Change trains in Santander and it then goes through to Ribadesella before turning south to Oviedo. Change again and then it goes north and mostly along the coast, to Ferrol.
These little trains stop about every 5 minutes at every little station. Certainly between San Vicente (after Santander) and Ribadesella it is possible to hop on and off the train on a daily basis as it crosses the villages on the Camino. You would need to be able to walk short distances as sometimes the train stops a km outside of a village.The same might be true between Bilbao and Santander.

Try the http://www.feve.es/es/ website and check the 'paradas' against the Camino guide.

Accomodation - there should be some 'private' albergues/hostals etc that you can call ahead. (Phone numbers would be in the guide.) More expensive than 'official' albergues (ie provided by town councils), but we don't think you would be able to book ahead for them if you are not walking. West of Santander many are 'private' and may be able to help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank-you very much 4 your replies! I understand ur comments completely
What u say about the hostals and turning up in a taxi, I wouldn't dream of doing that!
I think I would be able 2 horseride. Does any1 have any
Suggestion of how I could arrange that?

My advice:

I know it is a disappointment for now, but it'll give you a better experience next year. :?

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola fellow pilgrims, asking for a friend who is currently on the Norte. His pack is too heavy, can someone tell us how he would send the excess items home to Canada and the cos?. Alternatively...
An article on the El Correo website reporting on very high occupancy rates at the albergue in Markina on the Camino del Norte. Full almost daily...
hello Pilgrims this is my 2nd Camino, but first time doing Camino Norte. Flying into San Sebastián Airport on Wednesday would like to start Camino in Pasaje to enter the coastal route . Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back