Buen Camino!

MementoMori

May 3, 2024
Paris, France
Time of past OR future Camino
end of the may
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris.

I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I have good experience for Camino routes.

In general, there are two things I wonder about Camino routes:

1-) So far, I have always used my tent on my routes. However, as far as I have read, camping is generally prohibited in Spain. Since I am a student and will be a pilgrim, the most suitable option for me seems to be staying in the albergues. However, donations, fees, etc. I've heard a lot about this, so I'm wondering how much you spend per day on accommodation, generally?

2-) The stamps required for the passport are stated as 2 per day, but this is valid for the last 100 kilometers of the route, right?

Thanks for everything :)

Reactions: Shelan
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Welcome to the forum!

1/ it depends a little on which of the many Camino's you're meaning but as regards the Camino Frances: Albergue costs tend to vary between 8 through to 25 euros per night. As regards a donativo, that comes down to what you can afford.

As a general guideline you should give at least as much as you would for accommodation elsewhere. In addition to which if they offer a meal then fair value for that should also be part of the donation.

To give you an example: bed €15, meal €12, breakfast €3. Therefore €30
Personally speaking this would be the minimum that I would be comfortable with giving - however it does depend on your individual resources. The point of donativos is to make the camino affordable to all.

Because I can I give more, the most important thing to remember is what we pay today affects how well people eat tomorrow.

2/ stamps. Correct: One per day from the beginning, with two per day for the last 100 kilometers on whichever Camino you are walking.

As regards a daily budget that depends on how often you prepared to self-cater, and how often you wish to eat out.

I think the best I have heard of was as low as 26 euros per day, most of us however spend 35/40 euros (or more).

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.