Buying shoes on a Sunday. Are sports stores open?

Arta

May 2, 2024
Kosovo
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question is, are the sports stores open on Sunday in Pamplona, I'd be going in the morning before catching the bus. Or should I look for shoes in SJPP, which would be on a Sunday afternoon. Also, I'm thinking of getting the Hoka trailrunners, so hoping they'll have them. Any store recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Arta,

In SJPdP DirectionCompostelle/Boutique du Pelerin is a good convenient place for hiking equipment . Here is their web.

Another good hiking shop is
Maya Sport,
18 Avenue du Jai Alai. Here is that web.

Buen camino!

Last edited:

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Very little will be open in Pamplona on a Sunday though according to Google the Caminoteca shop should be. Very likely that some of the shops in SJPDP will be as well. But personally I would not leave buying footwear until the day before I started walking. Partly because I would like to give them a test walk before committing to using them. Also I would not want to be pressured into buying something because it was the least-worst option in my size from a very limited stock available. Is there some particular reason for leaving your purchase to the very last minute?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
If you know your size, maybe contact Caminoteca in Pamplona in advance to make sure they have your size/shoe on hand. They are a small store and it does not look like they carry Hokas. I don't think there will be many other sports stores open on a Sunday in Pamplona or at least a quick look on Google at the hours of others show that they are closed Sundays.

Arta

May 2, 2024
Kosovo
May 2024
Very little will be open in Pamplona on a Sunday though according to Google the Caminoteca shop should be. Very likely that some of the shops in SJPDP will be as well. But personally I would not leave buying footwear until the day before I started walking. Partly because I would like to give them a test walk before committing to using them. Also I would not want to be pressured into buying something because it was the least-worst option in my size from a very limited stock available. Is there some particular reason for leaving your purchase to the very last minute?
I have limited options of trail runners to choose from at the stores here in Kosovo. I did buy some sketchers trail runners and took them for a test (14km on various terrains) but they caused pain at the back of my knees (potentially distal hamstring tendonitis which went away the next day). I've never had this problem before and I'm certain it was caused by the shoes, so I don't think I can take those. It is risky to rely on limited stock at SJPP. Might just have to do some more searching here before I leave.

Thanks for the info. :)

Reactions: Phil W and Bradypus
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

gregrobinson

Always planning my next Camino
May 11, 2019
Portland, Oregon
www.youtube.com
2019, 2020, 2022, 2023, 2024
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question is, are the sports stores open on Sunday in Pamplona, I'd be going in the morning before catching the bus. Or should I look for shoes in SJPP, which would be on a Sunday afternoon. Also, I'm thinking of getting the Hoka trailrunners, so hoping they'll have them. Any store recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Decathlon in Pamplona on Google Maps says they are closed on Sunday.

Reactions: Arta

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Hokas are also not listed among the brands at the DirectionCompostelle/Boutique du Pelerin shop in St. Jean either.
I like Hokas and they are very difficult to find! In the UK or France certainly but I even tried Us and Canada and it was just as hopeless. Can’t you find something that fits you before you go?.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

woody66

This is my boy !
Jul 14, 2020
UK Lincs
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi Arta!
Welcome
How long before you start your Camino; is it days or weeks?

If it's days what others have said is probably your only option.
If it's a few weeks you might have luck at home.

I wish you the best for your Camino and your shoe hunt.

This bit is just to make you aware how important your shoes are!
You definitely need the right shoes!!

I brought three pairs and some mid boots(the first two fitted in a running shop) initially they felt great up to 10 or 12 km after that distance i started to have problems with them Achilles tendon/arch support/friction!
I now live in Hoka Stinsons they are right onesfor me.

If you do have time try and find some before you leave for Camino i met two people on the Portuguese that stood out .
A guy who just left home and decided to walk and he had only been walking for two days who's feet were blistered and bleeding; and a woman who's shoes were to big and here nails were black and painful after three days up and down (i gave her my sheep's wool and a couple of toe protectors i had)
Not fun for them at all!!!
Have you anything you could wear, that are comfortable ;that you wear at home everyday like sneakers/trainers /sandals etc. that you can take as a backup in case of problems with your final choice!
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:

Arta

May 2, 2024
Kosovo
May 2024
Hi Arta!
Welcome
How long before you start your Camino; is it days or weeks?

If it's days what others have said is probably your only option.
If it's a few weeks you might have luck at home.

I wish you the best for your Camino and your shoe hunt.

This bit is just to make you aware how important your shoes are!
You definitely need the right shoes!!

I brought three pairs and some mid boots(the first two fitted in a running shop) initially they felt great up to 10 or 12 km after that distance i started to have problems with them Achilles tendon/arch support/friction!
I now live in Hoka Stinsons they are right onesfor me.

If you do have time try and find some before you leave for Camino i met two people on the Portuguese that stood out .
A guy who just left home and decided to walk and he had only been walking for two days who's feet were blistered and bleeding; and a woman who's shoes were to big and here nails were black and painful after three days up and down (i gave her my sheep's wool and a couple of toe protectors i had)
Not fun for them at all!!!
Have you anything you could wear, that are comfortable ;that you wear at home everyday like sneakers/trainers /sandals etc. that you can take as a backup in case of problems with your final choice!
Buen Camino
W£oody
Thank you for this! Gives me more to consider when looking for shoes

Reactions: Phil W
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Arta

May 2, 2024
Kosovo
May 2024
I like Hokas and they are very difficult to find! In the UK or France certainly but I even tried Us and Canada and it was just as hopeless. Can’t you find something that fits you before you go?.
I found some Hoka Clifton 9, they are very comfy and fit well, not sure how well they’ll grip but I’m hoping that the walking poles will help with the descent especially

Reactions: domigee and woody66
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I found some Hoka Clifton 9, they are very comfy and fit well, not sure how well they’ll grip but I’m hoping that the walking poles will help with the descent especially
That's great! I would go for a long walk with your pack on to be certain.

Reactions: woody66 and Arta

JoEllen

Jun 6, 2016
I bought a nice pair of Salomon trail runners at Caminoteca in Pamplona on a Sunday a few years ago. I don’t remember the brands they carried but the trail runners worked for me all the way to SdC. They were the only place open on Sunday and the guy was from Ireland so no language translation needed either - that was helpful because I was rather stressed out as my feet were in bad shape right then.

Gekkosan

Feb 4, 2024
Puerto Rico
March 2024
To me, shoes are probably the most critical bit of equipment for the trail. As others have pointed out, an ill-fitting pair of shoes will result in a painfully disastrous experience.
Thus, one thing I make sure of is that well before I start any trail anywhere, I have my shoes picked and thoroughly tested.
I would not buy shoes just before starting unless I knew exactly the brand, model and size that I had used before, or because I had not alternative - e.g my shoes were lost or stolen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Frankybaby66

May 1, 2021
Nottingham
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Remember that modern synthetic shoes do not "break in." They should be perfectly comfortable from the start. The challenge is to know if they will remain so for 20 km and more, day after day.
True, synthetic footwear doesn't need 'breaking in'; but don't forget to allow for your feet to expand during a day(especially a Camino day!) It's normally a good idea to try/buy footwear late in the day for this reason.

Reactions: Arta and C clearly

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.