Caminha Ferry......

mgnswaus

Sep 10, 2011
NSW Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SJPdP 2019, Frances/Portuguese 22, 23, 24
I know there is a ferry regularly crossing the Minho at Caminha now. However, one of the most fondly remembered experiences of my 2017 Portuguese Camino was crossing the river mouth with 'the Captain' in a small tinny enveloped in the surreal early morning mist. Walking to Aguarda along the coastal path beside the magnificent rock platform, hearing the ocean waves though not able to see them, was simply breathtaking.
Does anyone know if the Captain still operates....? Just curious.

Reactions: Kelly Ann
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

jolb

Apr 25, 2023
Vancouver, Canada
Portuguese Littoral, from Porto, fall 2022
I know there is a ferry regularly crossing the Minho at Caminha now. However, one of the most fondly remembered experiences of my 2017 Portuguese Camino was crossing the river mouth with 'the Captain' in a small tinny enveloped in the surreal early morning mist. Walking to Aguarda along the coastal path beside the magnificent rock platform, hearing the ocean waves though not able to see them, was simply breathtaking.
Does anyone know if the Captain still operates....? Just curious.
The ferry is gone. It is now speedboat only. Your previous experience was probably with Mario, crossing about 2 or 3 km west of Cahmina. This service there is now managed by Mario’s brother Marco. You can also cross by speedboat in Cahmina itself.

Reactions: Martyduc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

mgnswaus

Sep 10, 2011
NSW Australia
Le Puy - SJPdP 2019, Frances/Portuguese 22, 23, 24
The ferry is gone. It is now speedboat only. Your previous experience was probably with Mario, crossing about 2 or 3 km west of Cahmina. This service there is now managed by Mario’s brother Marco. You can also cross by speedboat in Cahmina itself.
Thank you so much for your response and information, jolb.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks everyone for all your kindness and good wishes on the intro thread I posted a couple of days back! As promised, here's a report from our journey so far... Day 1: Matosinhos - Vila do Conde...
Bag is packed, weather forecast looks like rain, but we've got our waterproofs at the ready! My partner and I fly into Porto tomorrow evening, then we'll spend the night in Matosinhos and start...
We are going to walk from Porto - Santiago from September 11th-28. What is the weather like? How busy is it at that time?
We are ariving in Porto on May 27th. We want to forward a suitcase to Santiago directly so we have other clothes post our Camino. Could any one please recommend luggage services that will ship...
How low must tides be to prevent boat crossings from caminha to A Guarda?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides