LIVE from the Camino Camino de Sagunto

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Sagunto and aiming to reach Soria
Spurred on by my excellent experience on the Camino de la Lana last year, my aim this year is to hike this trail, specifically to visit Teruel, Albarracín (off trail but ‘cella vaut le détour!) and Soria. I am trying to cover Spain and am gradually moving eastwards.

There is little information and certainly no pilgrim infrastructure. Several of the links posted no longer ‘function’. However, Alan Sykes did post last year but only as far as Calayatud.. Douglas Johnson has the trails on his site but it is ‘theoretical’ in so far as he confirms he has not walked them..

Peregrina2000 speaks so highly of Soria - that was an incentive in itself!

My only option on this hike is to make my own way from Calayatud onwards. The trail is actually marked thanks to some enterprising Spaniards. However, my contact with them has not borne fruit.. They hike ‘backwards’ on occasion and this made me realise that they were driving to locations and making day walks… One day trail record is actually incorrect….

Most importantly, as Alan Sykes correctly stated, there is no accommodation near the trail after Calayatud. (Apparently a hostel in Aniñon but only 14kms further on.)

My solution is to have three very long days, with a fair amount of roadway, and to create my own trail. On the plus side, I have found good accommodation and will be spending two nights on occasion. I plan to post as I go along. Booking.com has been invaluable. Alan Sykes gives fabulous descriptions and historical, geographical background but little in terms of phone numbers and overnight locations.

I am flying to Valencia mid-May. Then beginning at Puerto de Sagunto. From Soria I shall take a bus to Logroño, spend a night there, then onwards by bus to Bilbao for two nights and flight back to the UK. Accommodation prices seem reasonable but certainly for solvent pilgrims only… I have noticed that prices generally in Spain are edging up towards a European norm. Booking early and out of the main season seems advisable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
Arrived today from a drizzly Gatwick. How times have changed! Valencia positively buzzing and 30 degrees Celsius. Staying in my first (and probably last…) pod hostel. Soulless. Highlight was the university botanical gardens and a graphic art expo at the Ayuntamiento. Also a moving expo with photos of the bombing of Valencia during the Civil War with a visit to a shelter. Spain is coming to terms with this period ( viz film ‘Madres Parallelas’ of Almadovar ).

So pleased to be back! Last time it was the starting point of the Camino de Levante.IMG_6834.jpegIMG_6837.jpegIMG_6838.jpegIMG_6845.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpegIMG_6850.jpegIMG_6858.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6838.jpeg
    IMG_6838.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6840.jpeg
    IMG_6840.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
Back at Camaleón Bar. Did not book but told that I had to vacate my table for 10.30 pm!!!
I have walked 18kms each day roaming Valencia. It is much more popular now and rightly so. Quite delightful.
Cooler with some cloud cover and a late afternoon breeze.
The Ayuntamiento is well worth a visit. Grand room and staircase; lovely views from the balcony; even a small
museum.
A fascinating photographic expo near the main food market.
A visit to the Ceramic Museum (free to ‘jubilados’ on presentation of proof of age - so ‘charmant’ to be queried about that!) A building that is as stunning outside as inside.
Followed by a saunter down the ‘rambla’ riverbed to the City of Sciences and the fab Calatrava buildings.
The Museo de Belles Arts is free to all and boasts a great assortment of Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida paintings - one of my favourite Spanish artists. (The stunners are in the Hispanic Museum in NYC). An especially touching portrait of his parents together.
So tomorrow, ready to roll and roam.
Now that I am that much older, I am learning to spend time relishing Spain plus having a reduced bavkpack.
The weather is perfect.
I am on the 08.00 Cercania from the North Station to Sagunt/Sagunto.
OhI forgot… My Capsule Inn Valencia is on Sant Vincert Martir which is also the way out on the Camino de Levante!
My dinner is served… and there are unexpected ‘pimento de Padron’. Delish…IMG_6955.jpegIMG_6954.jpeg02036AF1-2681-457D-8456-FE745B264353.jpegIMG_6862.jpegIMG_6871.jpegIMG_6876.jpeg8002702C-1F47-4707-A15C-578F23F692E6.jpegFCDA19A2-A3CA-4D95-AAD1-41EC628BC061.jpeg6685BFD7-322C-4EBE-A063-7EACE9E73291.jpeg68AB0864-5321-49D4-BF4E-61E4F91A3DC9.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
En route! A perfect day. Blue skies and a breeze - I am pleased to have a chin strap though for those sudden gusts!
Marking much better than I expected.
Lovely baroque churches… market stalls and bars aplenty!
I took a Cercania (suburban) train from Valencia Nord. Bought a Renfe ticket yesterday… bad move as it is only valid for two hours. The rechargeable card is 50 eurocents. Train destination is Castello C6 four stops on the way.
Sagunto tourist office opens at 09.30 and duly stamped.
Lovely oleander and honeysuckle scents; orange trees gradually gave way to lemons, olives and even some tangerines and grapefruit. Spotted my first ever white mulberry.
So far an undemanding hike. Minimal elevation. Peace and quiet. Church steeples to guide you. Spanish perfection with that especial inland wonder and welcome to that strange breed ‘the peregrino’ sporting a scallop shell.
Accommodation is an issue. Thanks to Google maps I found a Hostal on the camino outside Sot de Ferrer. No availability online and no response to an email.
However, a canary coloured uniformed postmistress called on my behalf to Hostal Millan and secured a double room for single use at Euros 33. PERFECTO.

IMG_6959.jpegIMG_6961.jpegIMG_6962.jpegIMG_6963.jpegIMG_6965.jpegIMG_6966.jpegIMG_6967.jpegIMG_6968.jpegIMG_6969.jpegIMG_6971.jpeg

Divine late night cheesecake (casera) with a glass of tinto!
Sorry to go off topic. I rarely eat dessert, but a couple of days ago in Muxia after a fabulous fish lunch, The waiter convinced me to try the homemade cheesecake. Cheesecake is a pretty standard and easy to make dessert, I’ve rarely had a bad one, but this one was out of this world delicious. I don’t know what was different about it but if you go to Muxia, give it a try. This is the place, Lonxa de Alvaro.

And sorry to take this post even further off-topic, but this is a favorite conversation between me and filly— there were zamburiñas on the menu. I asked where they were from and learned they were flown in from the Pacific Ocean and were obviously frozen. He told me that the same is true about lobsters, which are on almost every Gallego seafood restaurant menu. But he says they are no longer caught, or very rarely caught, in Galicia. So it pays to ask what’s local. My catch of the day fish was perfecto!

Back to the Sagunto. Wishing you a wonderful Camino and hoping that you’ll be able to post regularly.

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
Lovely Laurie! There were Galician scallops at the Valencia central market, at a price, and no shell in sight so point well taken.
Two grim meals and one fab on Valencia itself.
Great first day. After lunch s delightful disaffected train track made east headway. 30 kms with no sweat and a great Euros 12 lunch inc bebida, postre y café!
Truckers stop is right on the camino is perfect. Clothes washed and bath soak thanks to ‘brought along’ drain plug!! LOL
IMG_6976.jpegIMG_6975.jpegIMG_6974.jpegIMG_6973.jpegIMG_6972.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, filly, what town are you sleeping in tonight? And where are you sleeping? You’re a trailblazer here, so you need to tell us your stages!

And I totally agree about those trucker stops. if you come across a restaurant with a ton of trucks parked outside, you could be pretty sure that it’s decent, no frills, homemade food.

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
I stayed last night at Hostal Millan near Sot de Ferrer minutes off the trail.
Perfect at Euros 33.Big bed, quiet, private bathroom, towels aplenty, air con. Good food. Breakfast bar open at 06.30
Great day.
Good birdsong, scents of figs, went west around the embalse of Jerica on the lovely railway walk.
Slowly getting into rural Spain but the autovia is never far away.
Now in Jerica at 1pm. Found THE place to eat.
Afterwards I will totter to Viver where I have booked a two bed apartment for… Euros 33 from Señorita Pillar via booking.com
To be continued…

Attachments

• IMG_6977.png
    IMG_6977.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 5
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

filly

Veteran Member
Dec 27, 2011
London/Lewes
Jerica would have been a good space to explore. The food was EXEMPLARY. Serious eating. No dish of the day.. à la carte all the way.

Viver is really near but uphill. Quiet.

No idea yet where to stay tomorrow. I am way ahead as booked into Teruel for 21 May.

Walking much easier than anticipated. Way-making very good to passable. Wikiloc is highly recommended especially if you want to take alternatives.

I have not met a single hiker so far…

IMG_7009.pngIMG_7008.jpegIMG_7007.jpegIMG_7006.jpegIMG_7005.jpegIMG_7004.jpegIMG_7003.jpegIMG_7002.jpegIMG_7001.jpegIMG_6999.jpeg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.