• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino de Sagunto

filly

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Sagunto and aiming to reach Soria
Spurred on by my excellent experience on the Camino de la Lana last year, my aim this year is to hike this trail, specifically to visit Teruel, Albarracín (off trail but ‘cella vaut le détour!) and Soria. I am trying to cover Spain and am gradually moving eastwards.

There is little information and certainly no pilgrim infrastructure. Several of the links posted no longer ‘function’. However, Alan Sykes did post last year but only as far as Calayatud.. Douglas Johnson has the trails on his site but it is ‘theoretical’ in so far as he confirms he has not walked them..

Peregrina2000 speaks so highly of Soria - that was an incentive in itself!

My only option on this hike is to make my own way from Calayatud onwards. The trail is actually marked thanks to some enterprising Spaniards. However, my contact with them has not borne fruit.. They hike ‘backwards’ on occasion and this made me realise that they were driving to locations and making day walks… One day trail record is actually incorrect….

Most importantly, as Alan Sykes correctly stated, there is no accommodation near the trail after Calayatud. (Apparently a hostel in Aniñon but only 14kms further on.)

My solution is to have three very long days, with a fair amount of roadway, and to create my own trail. On the plus side, I have found good accommodation and will be spending two nights on occasion. I plan to post as I go along. Booking.com has been invaluable. Alan Sykes gives fabulous descriptions and historical, geographical background but little in terms of phone numbers and overnight locations.

I am flying to Valencia mid-May. Then beginning at Puerto de Sagunto. From Soria I shall take a bus to Logroño, spend a night there, then onwards by bus to Bilbao for two nights and flight back to the UK. Accommodation prices seem reasonable but certainly for solvent pilgrims only… I have noticed that prices generally in Spain are edging up towards a European norm. Booking early and out of the main season seems advisable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arrived today from a drizzly Gatwick. How times have changed! Valencia positively buzzing and 30 degrees Celsius. Staying in my first (and probably last…) pod hostel. Soulless. Highlight was the university botanical gardens and a graphic art expo at the Ayuntamiento. Also a moving expo with photos of the bombing of Valencia during the Civil War with a visit to a shelter. Spain is coming to terms with this period ( viz film ‘Madres Parallelas’ of Almadovar ).

So pleased to be back! Last time it was the starting point of the Camino de Levante.IMG_6834.jpegIMG_6837.jpegIMG_6838.jpegIMG_6845.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpegIMG_6850.jpegIMG_6858.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpegBB8169CC-7CDE-4395-BB53-9140BBC4E423.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6838.jpeg
    IMG_6838.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6840.jpeg
    IMG_6840.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back at Camaleón Bar. Did not book but told that I had to vacate my table for 10.30 pm!!!
I have walked 18kms each day roaming Valencia. It is much more popular now and rightly so. Quite delightful.
Cooler with some cloud cover and a late afternoon breeze.
The Ayuntamiento is well worth a visit. Grand room and staircase; lovely views from the balcony; even a small
museum.
A fascinating photographic expo near the main food market.
A visit to the Ceramic Museum (free to ‘jubilados’ on presentation of proof of age - so ‘charmant’ to be queried about that!) A building that is as stunning outside as inside.
Followed by a saunter down the ‘rambla’ riverbed to the City of Sciences and the fab Calatrava buildings.
The Museo de Belles Arts is free to all and boasts a great assortment of Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida paintings - one of my favourite Spanish artists. (The stunners are in the Hispanic Museum in NYC). An especially touching portrait of his parents together.
So tomorrow, ready to roll and roam.
Now that I am that much older, I am learning to spend time relishing Spain plus having a reduced bavkpack.
The weather is perfect.
I am on the 08.00 Cercania from the North Station to Sagunt/Sagunto.
OhI forgot… My Capsule Inn Valencia is on Sant Vincert Martir which is also the way out on the Camino de Levante!
My dinner is served… and there are unexpected ‘pimento de Padron’. Delish…IMG_6955.jpegIMG_6954.jpeg02036AF1-2681-457D-8456-FE745B264353.jpegIMG_6862.jpegIMG_6871.jpegIMG_6876.jpeg8002702C-1F47-4707-A15C-578F23F692E6.jpegFCDA19A2-A3CA-4D95-AAD1-41EC628BC061.jpeg6685BFD7-322C-4EBE-A063-7EACE9E73291.jpeg68AB0864-5321-49D4-BF4E-61E4F91A3DC9.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
En route! A perfect day. Blue skies and a breeze - I am pleased to have a chin strap though for those sudden gusts!
Marking much better than I expected.
Lovely baroque churches… market stalls and bars aplenty!
I took a Cercania (suburban) train from Valencia Nord. Bought a Renfe ticket yesterday… bad move as it is only valid for two hours. The rechargeable card is 50 eurocents. Train destination is Castello C6 four stops on the way.
Sagunto tourist office opens at 09.30 and duly stamped.
Lovely oleander and honeysuckle scents; orange trees gradually gave way to lemons, olives and even some tangerines and grapefruit. Spotted my first ever white mulberry.
So far an undemanding hike. Minimal elevation. Peace and quiet. Church steeples to guide you. Spanish perfection with that especial inland wonder and welcome to that strange breed ‘the peregrino’ sporting a scallop shell.
Accommodation is an issue. Thanks to Google maps I found a Hostal on the camino outside Sot de Ferrer. No availability online and no response to an email.
However, a canary coloured uniformed postmistress called on my behalf to Hostal Millan and secured a double room for single use at Euros 33. PERFECTO.

IMG_6959.jpegIMG_6961.jpegIMG_6962.jpegIMG_6963.jpegIMG_6965.jpegIMG_6966.jpegIMG_6967.jpegIMG_6968.jpegIMG_6969.jpegIMG_6971.jpeg

Divine late night cheesecake (casera) with a glass of tinto!
Sorry to go off topic. I rarely eat dessert, but a couple of days ago in Muxia after a fabulous fish lunch, The waiter convinced me to try the homemade cheesecake. Cheesecake is a pretty standard and easy to make dessert, I’ve rarely had a bad one, but this one was out of this world delicious. I don’t know what was different about it but if you go to Muxia, give it a try. This is the place, Lonxa de Alvaro.

And sorry to take this post even further off-topic, but this is a favorite conversation between me and filly— there were zamburiñas on the menu. I asked where they were from and learned they were flown in from the Pacific Ocean and were obviously frozen. He told me that the same is true about lobsters, which are on almost every Gallego seafood restaurant menu. But he says they are no longer caught, or very rarely caught, in Galicia. So it pays to ask what’s local. My catch of the day fish was perfecto!

Back to the Sagunto. Wishing you a wonderful Camino and hoping that you’ll be able to post regularly.

Lovely Laurie! There were Galician scallops at the Valencia central market, at a price, and no shell in sight so point well taken.
Two grim meals and one fab on Valencia itself.
Great first day. After lunch s delightful disaffected train track made east headway. 30 kms with no sweat and a great Euros 12 lunch inc bebida, postre y café!
Truckers stop is right on the camino is perfect. Clothes washed and bath soak thanks to ‘brought along’ drain plug!! LOL
IMG_6976.jpegIMG_6975.jpegIMG_6974.jpegIMG_6973.jpegIMG_6972.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed last night at Hostal Millan near Sot de Ferrer minutes off the trail.
Perfect at Euros 33.Big bed, quiet, private bathroom, towels aplenty, air con. Good food. Breakfast bar open at 06.30
Great day.
Good birdsong, scents of figs, went west around the embalse of Jerica on the lovely railway walk.
Slowly getting into rural Spain but the autovia is never far away.
Now in Jerica at 1pm. Found THE place to eat.
Afterwards I will totter to Viver where I have booked a two bed apartment for… Euros 33 from Señorita Pillar via booking.com
To be continued…

Attachments

• IMG_6977.png
    IMG_6977.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 21
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jerica would have been a good space to explore. The food was EXEMPLARY. Serious eating. No dish of the day.. à la carte all the way.

Viver is really near but uphill. Quiet.

No idea yet where to stay tomorrow. I am way ahead as booked into Teruel for 21 May.

Walking much easier than anticipated. Way-making very good to passable. Wikiloc is highly recommended especially if you want to take alternatives.

I have not met a single hiker so far…

IMG_7009.pngIMG_7008.jpegIMG_7007.jpegIMG_7006.jpegIMG_7005.jpegIMG_7004.jpegIMG_7003.jpegIMG_7002.jpegIMG_7001.jpegIMG_6999.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LOveryL! Actualy two day cumulative effort.
Still not great on Wikiloc… though I did manage to download all the relevant maps this year.
Accommodation issues already apparent.
Sarrion is proving difficult as the Hotel Alantaya is not responding. There is a possible roadside place beforehand used by cyclists but very unencouraging reviews.
As it is tomorrow I have booked off-piste at El Toro so an extra 6kms each way. Will report.
In retrospect Jerica would have been a better place to stay. Much more to explore than Viver.

IMG_7013.jpeg The largest postbox ever! Buying stamps now a serious issue as Tabacos have given up and Correos offices are often hidden away. Allied to this is the dearth of yellow pillar postboxes

IMG_7012.jpeg Viver with Jerica in background

A great day so far. My destination is always LUNCH as that is my main meal.

At the truckers stop in Barracas. THEY NO LONGER DO ACCOMMODATION in spite of the sign. Hence 6 kms after lunch ‘off-piste’ to El Toro. At least it should be open tomorrow Sunday for some croissant and coffee!

Lunch looks great and great value.

First day of agricultural tracks. Total peace. Some uphill cardio work. Then back on the Via Verde. My first cherries! The agriculture has changed from almonds to rich soil and wheat/barley.

Always good to stop and look back - lovely lines of mountains

IMG_7018.jpegIMG_7019.jpegIMG_7020.jpegIMG_7021.jpegIMG_7022.jpegIMG_7025.jpegIMG_7029.jpegIMG_7030.jpegIMG_7028.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7027.jpeg
    IMG_7027.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 17
A selection of Camino Jewellery
To each, his own.

So pleased I was happy to hike 6 kms post luncheon to arrive at a great place. Quiet, comfortable and welcoming. Dinner (for once) will be superb and breakfast also booked.

Sorted accommodation for tomorrow. Way off-track again but the only place on the Camino sounds dire. Feet fine so happy to go the extra (few/many) miles.

I am not a glutton but I appreciate good food based on good local ingredients and prepared with care and pride.

This was the case with lunch. A truckers worthy of an ‘estrella’. Wood fired parillada. Good honest nutritious ingredients; good balance. A steal at Euros 17.50 plus coffee. Made the 6 kms easy…

image.jpg In Barracas

IMG_7034.jpeg In El Toro - Hotel Rural Los Abriles (booking.com at Euros 45 room only for single)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You know, probably, that if you want to break this up into separate tracks day by day, all you have to do is hit “finish” and then give a name to the trail and save it. And it will go onto the list of “your trails” on your wikiloc profile page. And then the next day just start over with “record trail.” But you may have a reason to want it to be one long continuous track.

Thanks for all the updates, filly!

You know, probably, that if you want to break this up into separate tracks day by day, all you have to do is hit “finish” and then give a name to the trail and save it. And it will go onto the list of “your trails” on your wikiloc profile page. And then the next day just start over with “record trail.” But you may have a reason to want it to be one long continuous track.

Bless! I need training!! Feel just happy that I managed to download the relevant maps.

Stop press! No water en route today. The embalse the other day was dangerously low.

ps are you back in Champaign?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes, about that….

When I posted this:
Wow, that's a heck of a day - respect!
I thought that this:
Was your day’s mileage!! Well, you did say you didn’t mind doing a few extra kms (for a comfy bed)🤣😂

Hotel Atalaya in Sarrion (where Alan Sykes stayed last autumn) finally answered my call… the hotel is ‘en reforma’ hence closed. This will obviously be the logical place to stay in future.

On another tack, I do recommend a very good read for hikers. I read it in French but have already bought several copies in English for hiker friends.

IMG_7045.png

IMG_7047.png IMG_7046.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Safely in Manzarena. A few drops of rain and not the thunderous deluge forecast (though necessary). The next few days are due to be turbulent.

I am off-piste but delightfully so. What a fab place to stay! Amazing room with lift! I have the handicapped room - delighted. Lunch as from 14.00, cena at 21.00, breakfast arranged for 07.30

Dwarf oaks, euphorbia and some rosemary. Encountered the GR231 and even a ‘flecha amarilla’.

A short day with a long one tomorrow.

I met some Dutch cyclists who recommended their stay at Albentosa.

Sunday is always a difficult day for shops/restaurants/bars so here is ideal.

Thanks to Wililoc I will head off tomorrow off-piste on agricultural tracks to avoid Sarrion and the autovia altogether.

The traditional olde worlde hotel here is firmly closed..

IMG_7071.jpegIMG_7070.jpegIMG_7069.jpegIMG_7068.pngIMG_7067.jpegIMG_7066.jpegIMG_7064.jpegIMG_7063.jpegIMG_7065.jpeg

Interesting dinner last night - large tapas style. This is the land of jamon and cheese laced with truffle.

First sighting of poppies.

Some elevation and scree on the GR.

Just a lovely Spanish Sunday hike with minimal traffic and some cyclists.

IMG_7062.jpegIMG_7061.jpegIMG_7060.jpegIMG_7059.jpegIMG_7058.jpegIMG_7057.jpegIMG_7056.jpegIMG_7054.jpegIMG_7053.jpegIMG_7055.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having been egged on by Molly Cassidy (for which I am most grateful) about accommodation later on, I am pleased to say that research shows that there is municipal tourist possibility in Almenar de Soria after all. I will call later to confirm and check whether a reservation can be made.

This will cut a long day measurably!

IMG_7085.pngIMG_7086.png

€83,-
Arrived at La Puebla de Valverde about 45 minutes ago.

A great lunch. Comedor full of workers = generous, good and wholesome fare.

Could have stayed here..

Otherwise, a dry day but rain forecast. Some thyme and rosemary; scented Spanish broom; yellow and purple snapdragons. The first 2 1/2 hours on an agricultural track through oak forests. Delightful.

Reached Sarrion and no bar to be spotted. A cervesa from the supermercado! Then rather a dreary up and down walk not far from the motorway.

The husbandry in the hillsides is remarkable. Fabulous terracing of yore. Wondrous workings with precious water. Interesting references to the Guerra Civil.

This is a lively, lovely camino which needs enthusiasts…

IMG_7102.pngIMG_7100.jpegIMG_7101.jpegIMG_7099.jpegIMG_7098.pngIMG_7095.jpegIMG_7093.jpegIMG_7090.jpegIMG_7092.jpegIMG_7091.jpeg

…. I forgot!

Of possible interest to @peregrino2000 is the fact that the architect of the Ronda bridge hailed from Manzanera.

I am very pleased to have stayed there. Great sleep; great host. The best Calle Mayor with rose trees all the way.

IMG_7079.jpegIMG_7082.jpegIMG_7081.jpegIMG_7084.jpegIMG_7080.jpegIMG_7078.jpegIMG_7077.jpegIMG_7075.jpeg

This is a lively, lovely camino which needs enthusiasts…
Ears perking up.
There is a small matter of too many caminos on my list and an aging body. But those photos of yours sure are enticing...then of course Soria and beyond...

I cannot tell you how MUCH feedback means to a fairly weary soul!!
In which case those of us like myself who really enjoy following you should perhaps respond more often. Whilst I may never walk the particular camino's that you have, I really enjoy your daily reports and the photos that accompany them. I loved your 'Lana' post's last year too.

Actually, perhaps I shouldn't have said 'never'.....

Reached my goal via lots of roundabouts and dodging huge lorries! Fonda de la Estacion.

Luxe hotel courtesy of booking.com (others sites are available!) at Euros 52 with linen to die for, chic and quiet and less than the Euros 60 displayed in the room. Dinner at Euros 20. Breakfast from 7amin the cafeteria.

There is a truckers restaurant just over the motorway; a service station Carrefour; a Big Shoe shop and another restaurant… in case the El Horno in town has closed down. I asked mine host about accommodation - it was full but he was happy to ring round for a room. The Comedor was heaving with working boys… and they were likely to be overnighting (railway and motorway maintenance).

Imagine my dismay when leaving to spot the sign indicating the current tenants/owners were due to retire. Hence need to be flexible/inventive/forward looking on this Camino.

I have only been greeted with one ‘Buen Camino’ so far. It is generally ‘Buen viaje’.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Filly, you have now put the Sagunto on my 2025 list, never too early to start thinking about the next camino! And Valencia to Burgos (or Soria) seems like a do-able camino for me.

So, do I understand right that you went to the Hotel El Horno, learned it was full, and got sent to the Fonda de la Estación? Looks like an upgrade to me!

I hot-footed it to Hotel El Horno as my luncheon destination. I need not have hurried - other hardy workers were entering as I was leaving!

I had already booked at La Fonda de la Estacion.

I enquired about rooms at El Horno for YOU LOT who plan to follow in my footsteps!!

Intriguing thing about the Luxe establishment I am staying in… it has UNDERFLOOR AIR CONDITIONING! Well that’s a new one on me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Intriguing thing about the Luxe establishment I am staying in… it has UNDERFLOOR AIR CONDITIONING!
We had it in a rental back in 2015, personally I found that whilst it was brilliant in winter it didn't work as well in summer. Logical, being that hot air rises. Although I have to say it was really nice coming in on a hot day and putting your feet on the lovely cool tiles....

Made it to Teruel! 4 1/2 hours. Nothing en route..
Fab hotel on the route… avenida de Sagunto no less. Booked ages ago. Thank goodness - full last night and only one room free today. I have now booked almost all the way due to number of cyclists heading southwards…

A museum of the Guerra Civil is planned to open in three years.

Lovely calm quiet Via Verde morning, on the level. Tunnels and cuttings.

Then the skies looked ominous and I was looking forward to a café con leche or cerveza. Saw there was a logical short cut! Only a fence to clamber over. No sooner said than done.

Fab resto 2 mins from hotel. So all VERY well!

IMG_7121.jpegIMG_7122.jpegIMG_7123.jpegIMG_7124.jpegIMG_7126.jpeg
View attachment IMG_7130.movIMG_7131.jpegIMG_7137.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7120.jpeg
    IMG_7120.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7100.jpeg
    IMG_7100.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A museum of the Guerra Civil is planned to open in three years.
This almost makes me want to wait for three years to walk this route. Teruel has a lot of civil war history. There was a huge fosa (pit) where many Republicans were executed, both during and after the war. And a pretty infamous prison (well, I guess that doesn’t distinguish it from the others).

Filly, it looks to me like the N-420a is actually the Avenida de Sagunto in town. I see tons of hotels, which one is yours? And name of restaurant please. :p The picture you have put up is from El Horno, which I think was on an earlier stage, but I may be confused.

Thanks for the update!

The video attached before was for the sound of multiple cow bells - almost church-like!

The landscape has changed totally. Wide open spaces, huge viaducts, deer, birds of prey…

Disturbed by a UK call about ‘housing degradation problems’. They got short shrift! Latterday ‘ambulance chasers’ - such a belligerent and blame culture age we live in.

IMG_7146.pngTook a short cut and thus missed the downpour

IMG_7144.pngIMG_7143.jpegIMG_7142.jpegIMG_7141.jpegIMG_7140.jpeg Fab ‘old timers’ as in Malta and HavanaIMG_7139.jpegIMG_7138.jpeg Typical ‘closed’ hotel due to A23 autovia

Attachments

• BA46DA27-3BD4-4E3B-861F-C0390C556840.jpeg
    BA46DA27-3BD4-4E3B-861F-C0390C556840.jpeg
    864.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7145.jpeg
    IMG_7145.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
This almost makes me want to wait for three years to walk this route. Teruel has a lot of civil war history. There was a huge fosa (pit) where many Republicans were executed, both during and after the war. And a pretty infamous prison (well, I guess that doesn’t distinguish it from the others).

Filly, it looks to me like the N-420a is actually the Avenida de Sagunto in town. I see tons of hotels, which one is yours? And name of restaurant please. :p The picture you have put up is from El Horno, which I think was on an earlier stage, but I may be confused.

Thanks for the update!
Thanks Laurie! I am confused.com when it comes to technology.

Lunch is at Restaurante Los Amantes. Fabulosa. Lively. Copious. Healthy. Fresh. Balanced.

ps Would you like a copy of the Sagunto book. Happy to go to the Libreria and get/send a copy to you? If so please DM address in Illinois.

pps VERY moved by your two posts - one post Serrana/Invierno and t’other about just hiking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My hotel is just perfect! Hotel Civera. I follow booking.com point valuation and generally will not stay in less than ‘fabulous’…. because ‘I’m worth it after hiking kms!’ One bed to spread my stuff on. A fridge, fab bathroom with dental kit, Kleenex (panuelos), soap and the less frequent Shower Cap!!

I shall post my booking.com confirmations in due course.

THE book is ‘Port de Sagunt a Burgos’ by Luis M. Bona Trigo

… the ONLY book …,

Thanks for the update!
Laurie - could you kindly remove twi two ‘errant’ photos of El Horno and food. No idea how they were inserted. Gracias.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Found some more interesting sites in my downtime…

Heading to the Cathedral with my Credencial. See that Daroca is also a ‘stamp’ destination.

IMG_7153.pngIMG_7152.pngIMG_7151.pngIMG_7150.pngIMG_7149.jpegThis gives the hotel site for ‘preferred’ direct booking experience

Went to ‘town’ in the rain to have a luxe dinner. The resto relented and agreed to grant me the tasting menu rather than lose a customer. I would NOT have wanted to eat this at lunchtime…

IMG_7232.jpegIMG_7181.jpegIMG_7182.jpegIMG_7183.jpegIMG_7184.jpegIMG_7185.jpegIMG_7186.jpegIMG_7187.jpeg

It included two glasses of wine at Euros 45.

A bargain for a Londoner. Perfect portions.

Teruel is a delight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have now booked all the way for accommodation.

Almenar de Soria has been an issue because there APPEARS to be a municipal hostel… none of the phone numbers answer! So I am stuck with somewhere, granted, very nice but 12 kms off-piste.

However for Spanish speakers I add a photo of a casa rural phone number. (I prefer a bed and dinner…)

ps my screenshots are NOT in order….

IMG_7215.jpegIMG_7199.pngIMG_7198.pngIMG_7196.pngIMG_7195.pngIMG_7194.pngIMG_7204.pngIMG_7203.pngIMG_7200.pngIMG_7197.png

Also… the tourist was difficult to find but a treasure trove of maps, information and enthusiasm.

- daily bus on ‘laborales’ (Monday to Friday - working days) from Teruel to Albarracin from bus station at 14.10

- bus FROM Albarracin to Teruel, as above, at 08.50

So grateful to @jungleboy for spoiler alert. I have no idea what I am heading for but I know I will be amazed!

Plan to hike to BEZAS and then follow the GR10 to Albarracin. About 500 metres of elevation but apparently a fab hike.

!!image.jpgimage.jpg

There was one place I really wanted to stay at… but either closed on that day or full. They only allowed reservations on booking.com

Will locate screenshot in due course…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Went to ‘town’ in the rain to have a luxe dinner. The resto relented and agreed to grant me the tasting menu rather than lose a customer. I would NOT have wanted to eat this at lunchtime…

View attachment 171046View attachment 171047View attachment 171048View attachment 171049View attachment 171050View attachment 171051View attachment 171052View attachment 171053

It included two glasses of wine at Euros 45.

A bargain for a Londoner. Perfect portions.

Teruel is a delight.
We need a ' Oh my goodness that looks incredible / I am jealous' Emoji....

There was one place I really wanted to stay at… but either closed on that day or full. They only allowed reservations on booking.com

Will locate screenshot in due course…
Thank you for the clarification… priceline.com and agoda.es and other sites show this well-reviewed property. Howevet, there is no lodging available for 27 May. Alternative found on yet another site.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Made it to Gea de Albarracin in 5 1/2 hours. A long lunch break is in order as the Comedor only opens at 13.45

Fab trail found on Wikiloc - Teruel to Albarracin.

Part gorge and river walk. Lovely birdsong and perfectly peaceful.

As I am off-piste, there will be radio silence until I hit Cella and the Camino.

I recommend this detour and have yet to experience the delights of Albarrcin.

Thank you @jungleboy

IMG_7253.jpegIMG_7255.jpegIMG_7256.jpegIMG_7257.jpegIMG_7258.jpegIMG_7259.jpegIMG_7261.jpegIMG_7262.jpegIMG_7263.jpegIMG_7265.png

For some tech reason, today I can't do more than give your posts a thumbs up👍 . A pity because a number of them are ❤️ 😍😮 material.

And....ummmmm....5.6kms per hour? Envy. That's waaay out of my league at this point.

Fab trail found on Wikiloc - Teruel to Albarracin.
Can you give us the name of the person whose trail you followed? I'm just seeing lots of bike trails, and maybe you followed one of them? Looks like you were on one of the natural routes -- Camino Natural del Guadalquivir?

Made it to Gea de Albarracin in 5 1/2 hours.
Tell us the name of your hotel, please!

As I am off-piste, there will be radio silence until I hit Cella and the Camino.
WHAT????? You're not going to let us follow along to Albarracin and then back to the Camino?

Sorry to be so high maintenance, Filly. But having you there on the ground makes you the Reconnaissance team for those of us in the Sagunto Dreaming Phase. :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh dahlinks you’ve made my day!!

Fab lunch. Worth waiting for. Shocked Spanish couple by insisting on buying them pre-lunch drinks. Then stunned them by demanding nicely, nicely for acietunas/olivas.

Will give details of wikiloc. This trail makes a Camino a lesson in Spanish lifestyle. I absolutely stagger people in so
much as Camino hiking makes me know Spain better than Spaniards! Gracias Señor Ivar.

IMG_7266.jpegDD9B5EA7-305B-4761-8C8D-29F6E45CD69F.jpeg90AC39B6-7F93-4CD7-AD21-22B1F4928737.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie - hole in one! Have already imparted all my bookings.

I am staying in a hostel for once in Albarracin. Great reviews. However… from a glitzy magazine I sourced ‘La Casona del Ajimez’ which is fancy, fancy and great value!

Am learning that google.maps shows great options…

To summarise your stay so far, here's how it looks like.
------
21/5-23/5 Teruel (Hotel Civera)
23/5-25/5 Albarracín (Albergue Albarracín)
25/5-26/5 Cella (Albergue Municipal=Albergue El Río)
26/5-27/5 Monreal del Campo(Hostal Brin)
27/5-28/5 Calamocha (Hotel Lázaro)
28/5-29/5 Daroca (Hotel Cienbalcones)
29/5-30/5 Villafeliche (Hostal Sara)

3/6-5/6 Soria (Hosteria Solar de Tejada)
------
There are no stays info. here from 31 May to 2 June.

€83,-
To summarise your stay so far, here's how it looks like.
------
26/5-27/5 Monreal del Campo(Hostal Brin)

------
There are no stays info. here from 31 May to 2 June.

Add listings from before 21 May.
------
16/5-17/5 Sot de Ferrer (Hostal Millán)
17/5-18/5 Viver (Apartamento Rural La Plaza Vieja)
18/5-19/5 El Toro (Hotel Rural Los Abriles)
19/5-20/5 Manzanera (Hotel Duque de Calabria)
20/5-21/5 La Puebla de Valverde (Hotel La Fonda de la Estación)
26/5-27/5 Monreal del Campo (Hostal Brin)

------

Add listings from before 21 May.
------

------

IMG_7291.pngIMG_7290.pngIMG_7289.png

€83,-
Filly's Hotel Lists on this Camino

------
30/5-31/5 Calatayud (Hotel Monasterio Benedictino)
31/5-02/6 Malanquilla (Hostal Boutique Malanquilla Inedita)
02/6-03/6 Tejado (Hotel Rural El Vielp Entejado)
03/6-05/6 Soria (Hosteria Solar de Tejada)
------

Albarracin to Cella via Gea de Albarracin

About 22 kms following the Camino del Cid. I would recommend taking this path on the way TO Albarracin as the views and approach are superior to what I experienced.

Well worth the detour but I would recommend avoiding weekends. It is popular and there are a lot of bus groups.

Sensational walk. Heady perfume of heated rosemary. Weather perfect and hotting up. A cerveza at Gea but too early for lunch.

Confirmation (Communion) day in Cella is on a Saturday so my favoured hostelry was full for comedor and habitacion. Pleased I had booked at Albergue El Rio.

Very interesting Roman aqueducts en route.

At restaurante Centro de Dia. A menu on a Saturday. Voilà.

Will post photos later.

Long day tomorrow.. 40 kms.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I was googling around trying to find out how I could buy the book Filly has mentioned, I came across a list of services on this camino, published by the Amigos of L’Hospitalet de Llobregat (a Catalán amigos group). This group similar listings for some untraveled caminos, though I have never been able to find a list of all that they offer. I just come across them one at a time in a random way. But this listing might be helpful for anyone who is planning or dreaming about this camino (like me!).

The listing is dated 2017, but it is a good place to start, IMHO.

Stayed in Albergue Albarracin. Bunk in six bedder. One Aussie biker one night; solo the next. No facilities. Unexpected GREAT brekkie included at 08.30 Euros25 per night.

However, mega group on second night who cavorted v. late.

IMG_7327.jpegIMG_7317.jpeg Tourist info website

IMG_7348.jpeg Good non touristy place to eat. Disco music + telly = white non decor but good food and fab views. BOOK for dinner.IMG_7352.jpeg Markers for Canino del Cid and GR from Albarracin to Gea IMG_7353.jpeg No sticks.. one demanding descend with screeIMG_7358.jpegIMG_7363.jpeg Roman acqua duct interestIMG_7361.jpegIMG_7367.png

Attachments

• IMG_7347.jpeg
    IMG_7347.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
IMG_7371.jpeg Resto El Dia - I recommendIMG_7372.jpegIMG_7373.jpegIMG_7374.jpeg Albergue El Rio. Municipal so you could just show up at 17.00 and stay in the dormitorio. I booked room with bathroom and sheets (towel extra!) for Euros 40 on booking.com
IMG_7370.jpeg Plaza Mayor in Cella

Attachments

• IMG_7374.jpeg
    IMG_7374.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
As I was googling around trying to find out how I could buy the book Filly has mentioned, I came across a list of services on this camino, published by the Amigos of L’Hospitalet de Llobregat (a Catalán amigos group). This group similar listings for some untraveled caminos, though I have never been able to find a list of all that they offer. I just come across them one at a time in a random way. But this listing might be helpful for anyone who is planning or dreaming about this camino (like me!).

… and I did offer to buy AND send … case of looking a gift horse in the mouth I guess!! LOL

… and I did offer to buy AND send … case of looking a gift horse in the mouth I guess!! LOL
Well, I totally missed that. But it’s ok, with this listing of towns from the Llobregat amigos, along with your thread and Alan’s, I can start piecing things together. Just like you did!

Filly, I see the book is from 2012, are you finding that it is helpful anyway?

€149,-
Well, I totally missed that. But it’s ok, with this listing of towns from the Llobregat amigos, along with your thread and Alan’s, I can start piecing things together. Just like you did!

Filly, I see the book is from 2012, are you finding that it is helpful anyway?

IMG_7376.png You would appreciate it as a fluent Spanish speaker..

Laurie… this listing is A WASTE OF SPACE!

Totally useless and out of date ( or am I totally wasting MY time with this blog, I seriously wonder….)

Laurie… this listing is A WASTE OF SPACE!

Totally useless and out of date ( or am I totally wasting MY time with this blog, I seriously wonder….)
That’s very helpful. No, of course you’re not wasting your time. I thought it was a useful document to at least lay out the towns and distances along the route, and from there to start inputting your and Alan’s information. I assume that the towns and distances have remained the same. Or are you saying that the camino has been re-routed?

Anyway, thanks for whatever info you post, it’s fun following along.

€149,-
That’s very helpful. No, of course you’re not wasting your time. I thought it was a useful document to at least lay out the towns and distances along the route, and from there to start inputting your and Alan’s information. I assume that the towns and distances have remained the same. Or are you saying that the camino has been re-routed?

Anyway, thanks for whatever info you post, it’s fun following along.
Ditto 🙏

€46,-
Made it to Villafranca del Campo.

Hot, gruelling, no shades but shades of the ‘meseta’!

Bar open, telly blaring. Limited food… There is the option, further on, halfway to Monreal del Campo, at the autovia service station.

Watch this space.

nb NO WAYMARKING OF ANY KIND

IMG_7400.jpegIMG_7397.jpegIMG_7398.jpegIMG_7399.jpegIMG_7401.jpegIMG_7402.jpegIMG_7403.jpegIMG_7404.jpeg

I try and watch La Ruleta de la Suerta daily.. at lunchtime. The leggy lady is fab!!

IMG_7405.jpeg

I am at the only place in ‘puebla’. There is food.. on a limited menu.

Served my cerveza by a señorita ‘openly’ breastfeeding her divine baby. How Soain has changed…

IMG_7408.jpeg

Dear One,

Can I do more? I photographed the BOOK, the BILL and the display of Guerra Civil books ESPECIALLY for You. I offered to buy a copy and send it if you DM’ed me your address.. I now falter!

IMG_7160.jpegIMG_7161.jpegIMG_7159.jpegIMG_7156.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the N234 at Hostal Brin. Was difficult to access from the agricultural camino. Out on a limb on an industrial estate (poligono). Cheap… not very cheerful but clean and quiet.

There is a sort of bar and rumoured food as from 20.30

Hostal Brin
IMG_7416.jpegIMG_7418.png

Non-functioning fuente…

IMG_7415.jpeg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.