Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte and Camino del Salvadore Starting Sept 5

jessica.vthhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Camino Francis
2015 Camino del Norte and San Salvadore
Hi! Well the time has finally come when the number on my Camino countdown is under 40 days. I am very excited to join the class of 2015. After walking the Camino Francis and completing the loop to Muxia and Finisterre last fall, I am happy to be counting down the days to Sept 5th when I start the Camino del Norte. I plan on walking to Oviedo and then taking the San Salvadore route down to Leon ( I know it is not advised to walk north to south on this route) but the views looks stunning, the solitude inviting and I have a guidebook and a good spanish road map. I plan to meet fellow pilgrims in Leon who I walked the CF with last year (Yes, they are walking again this year!) If the weather is bad along the coast or I need the companionship of my friends, I will stay on the CF from Leon to Santiago. If the Norte route is all that I hope the challenge to be, I will take a bus back up to Oviedo and continue on the costal route. I've chatted with a few pilgrims that are sharing my time frame and look forward to meeting more. Jessica :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Well the time has finally come when the number on my Camino countdown is under 40 days. I am very excited to join the class of 2015. After walking the Camino Francis and completing the loop to Muxia and Finisterre last fall, I am happy to be counting down the days to Sept 5th when I start the Camino del Norte. I plan on walking to Oviedo and then taking the San Salvadore route down to Leon ( I know it is not advised to walk north to south on this route) but the views looks stunning, the solitude inviting and I have a guidebook and a good spanish road map. I plan to meet fellow pilgrims in Leon who I walked the CF with last year (Yes, they are walking again this year!) If the weather is bad along the coast or I need the companionship of my friends, I will stay on the CF from Leon to Santiago. If the Norte route is all that I hope the challenge to be, I will take a bus back up to Oviedo and continue on the costal route. I've chatted with a few pilgrims that are sharing my time frame and look forward to meeting more. Jessica :)

Jessica:

Your plans to walk the San Salvador could also be altered based on the new Camino Norte family you will be leaving. The Norte, imo is a beautiful seaside route that offers choices of alternative routes often. It splits in Villaviciosa and creates a decision point for many as to continue on or switch to the Primitivo. The Salvador is a beautiful route about 4-6 days though sparsely traveled, at least when I walked in 2013.

The nice thing is you have lots of options. Stay on the Norte or switch to the Primitivo with new friends. Walk the Salvador in reverse and connect with old friends to walk CF or return to the Norte and make even newer friends.

So many choices and they are all good ones.

Ultreya,
Joe

We stayed in the Norte and did not regret it - a beautiful walk all the way to Santiago. Very glad we stayed on that path. Another year I would like to walk the deviations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ill be starting from Irun Sept 1st ..anyone else for The Norte early sept ? Im interested to see how it compares to The Frances . :D

Jessica:

Your plans to walk the San Salvador could also be altered based on the new Camino Norte family you will be leaving. The Norte, imo is a beautiful seaside route that offers choices of alternative routes often. It splits in Villaviciosa and creates a decision point for many as to continue on or switch to the Primitivo. The Salvador is a beautiful route about 4-6 days though sparsely traveled, at least when I walked in 2013.

The nice thing is you have lots of options. Stay on the Norte or switch to the Primitivo with new friends. Walk the Salvador in reverse and connect with old friends to walk CF or return to the Norte and make even newer friends.

So many choices and they are all good ones.

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe, Yes... lots of choices. That is part of the magic isn't it?

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Camino del Norte, starting in Bilbao in early September. Once I reach Villaviciosa just shy of Gijon, I know that there's a point where you have the option to continue on the...
Greetings forum friends. My fella and I are heading for the CdN in Sept/Oct (7 years after we met walking the CF). We're looking forward to finding our way along the North of Spain, starting from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.