Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Sep 13, 2017
Rocky Mountains, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Is it possible to do Camino del Norte in Sept 2023 without reservations?
My previous experience , Irun - Santander, was that tourist or surf towns required some planning ahead unless you have a big budget. I suppose you could avoid reservations by staying in more obscure places or by being first to arrive at a Donativo. So much depends on your comfort level and how you deal with the daily challenges. How far are you willing to walk when cold, wet, or tired? Sleep on a porch?

Hard to give advice on this issue when so much depends on you.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Celi Anatrella

Jan 10, 2019
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
I plan on doing it without reservations!! Perhaps we'll meet along the Way!!
Me three and my friend walking with me four. God willing!!! Three weeks to go!!! That being said, I have a reservation for the night we arrived and just made one in an albergue in San Sebastian as I’m afraid that is a big destination and I don’t want to be stuck at pricey hotels.

Reactions: AlexB and isnardj

PeterBarry

Jun 23, 2006
Dublin Ireland
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi,
I walk the Norte regularly (each summer, or Easter)as I love it so much.
Nowadays I tend to go as far as Santander.
The only real bottle necks are San Sebastian and also Deba.
Deba has 1 albergue only and access is frustrating as you must first go to the tourist office before the Albergue. The tourist office closes during the day and as such you cannot guarantee a bed until it opens they register you and give you a ticket. Opening(or more importantly closing) hours of Tourist need to be checked in advance of arriving. In Deba there is only one Pension, Zumardi, a nice place but regularly booked out.
Having said that if you organize yourself and know the timingsof tourist office
you should be ok as the Albergue has 56 beds.
All other stage ends , Getaria, Markina, Gernika, Bilbao etc , all have options to consider.
Also worth pointing out I mainly travel alone, occasionally, with my wife (Where I book Zumardi,Deba well in advance)

Best of Luck its a beautiful route.

Peter

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

isnardj

Aug 3, 2022
France
Camino Frances
Me three and my friend walking with me four. God willing!!! Three weeks to go!!! That being said, I have a reservation for the night we arrived and just made one in an albergue in San Sebastian as I’m afraid that is a big destination and I don’t want to be stuck at pricey hotels.
I’ll be there too !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oct 14, 2014
Gold Coast - Australia
Camino Frances 21 October 2014
Portugese Way October 2018
What albergue did you use in San Sebastian and would you recommend it please?

Celi Anatrella

Jan 10, 2019
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
What albergue did you use in San Sebastian and would you recommend it please?

We stayed at Albergue La Sirena, which is a youth hostel, but they charge you more if you are not in your young years. It was well located, great hospitality, great price for San Sebastian. I would stay there again and we actually stayed two days cause my knee was in big time pain after doing the whole route from Hondarribia taking the coastal routes so we needed a rest day! :)

Reactions: Lindy Loo

PeterBarry

Jun 23, 2006
Dublin Ireland
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Reactions: Lindy Loo
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

hello Pilgrims this is my 2nd Camino, but first time doing Camino Norte. Flying into San Sebastián Airport on Wednesday would like to start Camino in Pasaje to enter the coastal route . Would...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...
Hi all, I would like to give my poles away to another pilgrim. I will be available 15 May in Bilbao. The poles worked great until I didn't (tendinitis. It is all good, It is going away)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.