• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francés - A Wise Pilgrim Guide

Camino Francés - A Wise Pilgrim Guide 2014-01-22

No permission to download

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
jirit submitted a new resource:

Camino Francés - A Wise Pilgrim Guide - Smart guides for smart phones for wise pilgrims!

Smart guides for smart phones for wise pilgrims!

At long last the piles of journals that built wisepilgrim.com have been returned to their original handheld form.

Designed, written, and developed with pilgrims in mind (and by a pilgrim himself), the smart guides published by Wise Pilgrim are the most up to date guide available. It receives updates regularly (from within the app) and pilgrims can contribute their own observations of unexpected changes along the way.

There are 6 guides in the...

Read more about this resource...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jirit:

I loaded this app for my Camino last year. I am willing to take another look at it. However, I have two constructive criticisms:

1. My biggest "criticism" of it is that it does not have a global update capability. So, you have to update all the segments separately, one at a time. This takes extra time to monitor and is just annoying. It would be much easier if it either updated automatically if a Wi-Fi connection was present when the app was started, OR if it had an "Update All" button. Preferably, both functions would be possible and configurable on a "settings" button.

2. My second constructive suggestion is that more data should be available offline. As you know, Wi-Fi coverage can be spotty along the Camino. I happen to use the app on my iPod Touch. So, I have Wi-Fi capability (when available) but no cellular / mobile phone signal capability. This would apply to those using Wi-Fi only tablets / iPads as well.

This app has the makings of a really, REALLY good guide. I would like it to be as functional as the Eroski Guide - presently only available in Spanish. married to the content of a Michelin or Miam Miam Dodo Guide.

But, I suppose that is a good goal. Personally, I would not mind paying for the app if it had more utility.

One of the lingering problems for most of the better Camino Guides is either; that they are not available in electronic format, or in an interactive format such as this one. You have the skeleton, or outline of a really good product. It just needs some refinement.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

Hello t2andreo

Personally I have not used this app. I just discovered it a couple of days ago while looking another camino app that is "in the works" that is due out later in March, as I have been told. One based on John Brierley's book.

I thought I should add this app to the Camino Resources section so other members of the forum could at least know about it.

However I agree there is nothing much in the way of electronic apps or guidebook. After publishing my interactive book called The Camino I thought I should do an eGuide for the camino Frances route but this might prove to a bigger task I am prepared to take on.

Your comments however will help other members decide on the merits of this app, so much appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Smart guides for smart phones for wise pilgrims! I only wish that it was! It's a smart guide for Apple smart phone/tablet users, not for Android smart phone/tablet users. It would be useful if the description to be modified to reflect the limitation as it will save time for the Android or even Windows smart phone users.

Android is now available!

Also I should mention that the app no longer needs to update stage by stage, as updates are automatically pushed the the user as they are needed.
As well, nearly everything has been moved offline The only exceptions are the comments and maps, which for obvious reasons still need a connection.

Buen Camino!

Downloaded the android app today and it looks great. Question: are the maps available with gps or does wifi or 3G have to be on?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like the app. A few thoughts on growing out its functions . . .

I think it would be great as a pilgrim to be able to submit information and pics as I go along, such as new albergues and other points of interest not in the current database, provide reviews etc. It would also allow for rapid expansion of the database into other pilgrimage routes (translation: additional revenue streams). With geotagged pics and corresponding entries, it would be relatively easy to grow and maintain currency for your database using us pilgrims and our diverse interests (e.g. architecture, churches, restaurants, stores, etc.).

It would be nice to be able to provide actual ratings on key items (hospitality, cleanliness, ambience, etc.), as opposed to just a comment section. Then, it would be nice to filter or sort based on ratings.

Ability to download section maps or town maps with POIs for upcoming stages would be a big plus. I think Google Maps supports programmatic downloading of maps.

Most read last week in this forum

caminka submitted a new resource: via gebennensis - gebenennsis, geneva, le puy Read more about this resource...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.