• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances April 2013

Striderc8

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hi, I am hoping to walk the Camino in the Spring and want to start during the Easter leave period but I am not sure if the refugios will be open over Easter. Can anyone advise me? Also I would start the first day from SJPP to Orisson/Roncesvalles at the end of March/first day of April 2013 so I have concerns that the weather might be bad. I would appreciate some advice on whether leaving it a week might be better or if it won't make that much difference. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!

Yes, most of the albergues that close over the winter open in Holy Week so you should be fine.

As regards weather, it's impossible to predict really. The Pilgrim Office in SJPP advise on which route to take. I started in Pamplona this year about the same time, and ended up walking with a girl who started in SJPP. She experienced snow, but still made it over the hill rather than through the valley. Whatever advice you get, take it!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino Strider! We might meet. I leave the third of April from Zaragoza and will walk the Camino del Ebro till Logrono and from there I'll get ( hopefully ) on the Camino Frances.
From what I saw last year on the Frances ( also walked during Holy Week ) is that indeed most albergues are open.

Glad I saw this post. I am leaving SJPDP at the same time.
Glad I decided to take sleeping bag and mat.

Maybe see you there.
Terry (Australia)

Hi Terry,

IMHO I think you could leave the mat at home. That early in the year you won't need one . 99 % of the time you will find a bed in an albergue without a problem ( even more when you stop " in between the stages " ). Last year I saw lots of people leaving their mats behind...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am leaving SJPdP on March 27th, so I may run into some of you good folk. Buen Camino to all of you!

SabineP said:
Hi Terry,

IMHO I think you could leave the mat at home. That early in the year you won't need one . 99 % of the time you will find a bed in an albergue without a problem ( even more when you stop " in between the stages " ). Last year I saw lots of people leaving their mats behind...
Hi Sabine,
I am not staying in Albergue's much. I am going for 3 months and doing other "off track" things with a tent, It's 600 grams and my total weight including water and pack is less than 10 kilo(Including poles ..everything) this is less than 10% of my body weight. I am 6ft and used to heavy packs from military. All my training has been with 15Kg packs. mainly using cans of drink and water for ballast.
I noticed most pictures show people with "bits" hanging of the back of their packs. half a kilo at the back of your pack has the same effects as one and a half kilo close to your back.
I wont go into how to pack here as I am getting off topic. :)

I wont go into how to pack here as I am getting off topic.
But it is a great topic that has not been covered in a while. I have seen a lot of packs that were pulling the hiker's shoulders back from too much weight away from the body. If you have some good words on the subject, start a new topic, and share! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
I wont go into how to pack here as I am getting off topic.
But it is a great topic that has not been covered in a while. I have seen a lot of packs that were pulling the hiker's shoulders back from too much weight away from the body. If you have some good words on the subject, start a new topic, and share! :D

I cant really see an appropriate place to put the information. Most seem to be route specific

EDIT:
miscellaneous-topics/topic16514.html

I'm starting the Camino from Leon March 21 and will be walking slowly, very slowly compared to most so when all ya'll catch up with me hope you'll say "hi." I'm that little old grandma from TN named Linda.

I, too, would like to see more posts from experienced hikers about gear as it is imperative that I keep to the 10% body weight rule. My problem is that means only 13 lbs, tops. Although I'm quite willing to wear the same outer clothes everyday with only quick-dry underwear/socks in duplicate, I'm still struggling to keep the weight down. Already have a lightweight backpack and sleeping bag; but even with that am still fighting weight "creep" as it's all those little things that start adding up.

Right now my biggest gear need is something that will give me easy access to things I might need while hiking and not wanting to stop and take my pack off...like sunglasses, energy bars, MP3 player. I've already lost my presciption sunglasses trying to put them in my jacket pocket while walking. I've seen something in pictures that looks like a small bag that is attached to the shoulder strap on the front. What are these things called?

Well, buen Camino, ya'll. :)

Linda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Linda,
I too have to keep weight down in my pack and also need access to important items. Valuables go in a money belt under my clothes, the day's money in a purse in a pocket but clipped to my belt. I wear trekpants with zipped pockets near the knees and put my sunglasses in one, other items in the other side for balance. I find that I can then carry 10% in the pack and some extra in the pockets safely. My style trekpants ar discontinued but I am sure there are others around. They also zip-off below the knee (and pockets) which is very useful too.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the suggestions Tia...Someone has also suggested a small pouch I can attach to my hip belt or shoulder straps...Getting closer to my departure date and I'm in serious training...from couch potato to trekker is simply amazing for me...walked 3 miles today without stopping....well at the top of some pretty steep hills had to rest for a bit...but I'm motivated and determined...again thanks!! Linda

As a 64 year old male I keep my pack to 6 kg. on camino Francis you don't need to bring food except on sjpdep to Roycesvalles, water fonte regular so 1 litre of water, dump the technology, exception mobile phone, starting in sjpdep on 18 th April, Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Striderc8 said:
Hi, I am hoping to walk the Camino in the Spring and want to start during the Easter leave period but I am not sure if the refugios will be open over Easter. Can anyone advise me? Also I would start the first day from SJPP to Orisson/Roncesvalles at the end of March/first day of April 2013 so I have concerns that the weather might be bad. I would appreciate some advice on whether leaving it a week might be better or if it won't make that much difference. Thank you.

*Hi Strider
I walked on the "camino frances" on april 2012. All albergue were open. The weather was not fine but not so bad . If you can't cross the Pyrenes by Orisson refuge because of the bad weather, you can cross by Valcarlos. It's not so amazing but it's safe It's nice but on more sealed road!
If you are not in hurrt,stay in SJPDP 1 or 2 days watching the forecast advices from the managers of the albergue can be a good solution to cross by Orisson.
buen camino

Thanks for all the replies, I am hoping that I'll meet up with some of you.
I am currently training hard. It involves laying out all the gear I'm taking and then removing one item. I do this everyday, removing anything I can manage without and allow myself a rest day now and again :D it's the hardest challenge! Seriously though I am doing as much walking as possible and hope to arrive SJPP Sat 30 March. Let's hope the weather is kind. Cate

Hi!
I'm starting from SJPP April 18th and hope to see you along the way. Right now I'm looking for places to stay the night of April 17 in SJPP. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks!
Kristy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
kunoichiSF said:
Hi!
I'm starting from SJPP April 18th and hope to see you along the way. Right now I'm looking for places to stay the night of April 17 in SJPP. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks!
Kristy
Hi Kristy. L'esprit du Chemin albergue always gets great reviews but needs to be booked. I've never stayed there myself, but it sounds like a good place to introduce yourself to other pilgrims. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.