• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances May 2014

Adrian961

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances planned April/May 2014
Hello,

I'm Adrian from Ramsgate, Kent, UK. Thought I'd throw a few things in a bag, hop on a Eurostar/TGV and walk to Santiago in May 2014. Sounds simple enough....Of course it is, isn't it? Actually planning and preparartion mean the trip starts now. I love it. Excellent site and most informative contributors. Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Adrian

I hope your preparation goes well - I found the forum was excellent as I got ready

Buen Camino

Hello Adrian y Buen Camino. Likewise, I will starting in St Jean in May 2014. First beer is on me mate!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. Obviously it's not all about beer but one imagines the end of a hot day on the Camino is like the last scene of 'Ice cold in Alex'....

Hello,

I'm Adrian from Ramsgate, Kent, UK. Thought I'd throw a few things in a bag, hop on a Eurostar/TGV and walk to Santiago in May 2014. Sounds simple enough....Of course it is, isn't it? Actually planning and preparartion mean the trip starts now. I love it. Excellent site and most informative contributors. Thank you.
Great time to begin preparing yourself physically and mentally for the Camino.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll be leaving London on 29th Mayfrom SJPP to Santiago. I'll be walking for charity. Ill be opening a JUST GIVING page in memory of my husband who passed away from throat cancer last year. I'll be walking on ÂŁ52 a week so it will be a real challenge. I can't wait now.
Buen Camino :)

I started the Frances in May 2013 to find it overrun, contrary to popular opinion. Be prepared for lots of people. Looking back at my photos, I can see groups of pilgrims along the trail every 50m stretching to the horizon. If you're looking for contemplative solitude I'd either start earlier or try a different Camino.

I'll be leaving London on 29th Mayfrom SJPP to Santiago. I'll be walking for charity. Ill be opening a JUST GIVING page in memory of my husband who passed away from throat cancer last year. I'll be walking on ÂŁ52 a week so it will be a real challenge. I can't wait now.
Buen Camino :)

I hope you raise lots of money. Always interesting to hear peoples' stories. It will certainly be a challenge to do it on £52 per week. My understanding is that accommodation can be €10, or a donation. Whilst the cost of living is cheaper than UK, I found a recent trip to rural Spain fairly expensive. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started the Frances in May 2013 to find it overrun, contrary to popular opinion. Be prepared for lots of people. Looking back at my photos, I can see groups of pilgrims along the trail every 50m stretching to the horizon. If you're looking for contemplative solitude I'd either start earlier or try a different Camino.

Hmmm....Perhaps an earlier start is more sensible although the weather is a factor. I suppose the Frances attracts so many first timers because it a well trodden path with infrastucture at hand. I wonder if the Norte is a better option...research during the dark winter months is the key and one of the great things about a trip like this.

Hmmm....Perhaps an earlier start is more sensible although the weather is a factor. I suppose the Frances attracts so many first timers because it a well trodden path with infrastucture at hand. I wonder if the Norte is a better option...research during the dark winter months is the key and one of the great things about a trip like this.

The infrastructure on the Frances is very good and the way is very well marked. I haven't done the del Norte, but I've heard its quite rugged in comparison and the Albergues are spaced further apart. I was however in Santander at the end of the last Frances stage. Nice little city on the waterfront. The del Norte runs through it. Another option could be to start late, I.e. October. We did the Meseta from Burgos to Leon in the first week of October which was quite ok and was even warm enough to cause some light sunburn. Plenty of beds and just enough people to make some new friends and strike up some interesting conversations. Take rain gear at all times of the year. I just got back from a 30km training hike in 2.7 degrees. I had thin merino tights under my warm weather roll ups and a vest. The vest has to be taken off as I was too warm. Don't let the cold put you off, you warm up quickly when walking.

Hello,

Love your attitude - my training was to drink red wine and eat tapas - and I made it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Love your attitude - my training was to drink red wine and eat tapas - and I made it!
Hi Margaret,
I read your e-book. I loved it, it made me laugh. I leave in 9 weeks, have a strained groin and lower back, and have done very little training. My attitude is 'I will just walk slower" inspired hopefully by the people I meet along the way and the draw of daily tapas and red wine. I know there are some that think the social side of the Camino is a bit of a negative, but as a solo female traveller I look forward to it. I will leave around May 16th from SJDP (if I can do the climb) and not sure how fast I will be walking.
However, I will certainly be looking for any interest from those wanting a rest day in Logrono, to do a walking Tapas tour - see http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Guide-g187513-i8577-Logrono_La_Rioja.html.

Adios

Viv from Brisbane

Buen camino Adrian! and yes this forum is amazing, I found so much information and sound advice on here when I was planning my camino last year :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.