• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in April/May 2014

eric.whitlock

Hello Everyone.
I've finally decided to get off my rear end and do something about this desire I've had to do the Camino. It's probably been 2 or 3 years since I've heard about the Camino and thought it would be a grand adventure to go do it.
Anyways, I'm a 35 year old guy from South Africa and have purchased some airline tickets which should enable me to head out on the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port on the 18th of April - Good Friday - that should be a good day to start :).
By my calculations I have 37 days before I need to fly back to sunny South Africa. I think it would be great if I can walk all the way to Finisterre the "end of the world" - but I will see what the Camino has in store for me.
And thanks to everyone who posts to this forum - I have found a wealth of knowledge here.
Cheers,
Eric

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Eric

Welcome on the forum. I'm a South African living in the UK, and I plan to start from SJ at around the same time as you, or perhaps a few days later, depending on flights. Hope to see you there.

Gideon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Anniesantiago, and thanks for your welcome, and helpful contributions to the forum.

Hey Annie, I've been having a look at your blog - there's lots of really great info there - so thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.
Gideon, perhaps we'll see each other on the trail.
Cheers,
Eric

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Everyone.
I've finally decided to get off my rear end and do something about this desire I've had to do the Camino. It's probably been 2 or 3 years since I've heard about the Camino and thought it would be a grand adventure to go do it.
Anyways, I'm a 35 year old guy from South Africa and have purchased some airline tickets which should enable me to head out on the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port on the 18th of April - Good Friday - that should be a good day to start :).
By my calculations I have 37 days before I need to fly back to sunny South Africa. I think it would be great if I can walk all the way to Finisterre the "end of the world" - but I will see what the Camino has in store for me.
And thanks to everyone who posts to this forum - I have found a wealth of knowledge here.
Cheers,
Eric
Crazy! That is my expected date of travel as well! Perhaps I'll see you out there :)

Hello Everyone.
Cheers,
Eric

Hi there I will begin my walk from SJPP on April 26th.... My bag is already packed, tickets purchased, hotel booked in SJPP the night before I will start. After that, I have no idea what's going to happen....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there I will begin my walk from SJPP on April 26th....

Hi Britchik, I am heading out of SJPdP on the 26th April as well. Not the original South African who started the thread, but a South African none the less ;) good to know another Forum member will be close by.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Monya and Britchick. I trust you will enjoy the camino. Don't think I'll see you on the trail though.

Tina - I may see u on the trail.

Anyway. I'm off to pick up my new passport - well impressed with our home affairs - just over a week turnaround time for the new passport.
Cheers
Eric

Hi Eric, Gideon, Tina and AnnieSantiago, looks like we are all starting around the same time, look forward to meeting you and others along the way

Buen Camino

Hi everyone!
I'm also doing the camino frances out of SJPP in april/May, continuing to Finisterre and Muxia. I'm Aiming to be around Burgos or Leon for Holy week! Still need to work on my starting date!

I'm from El Salvador, making the camino alone to celebrate the big 50... I'm hoping it will be a journey to remember forever!

Looking forward to meeting a few of you, and other fellow pilgrims to share this experience!

Buen Camino and happy planning!

Geraldina

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone!
I'm also doing the camino frances out of SJPP in april/May, continuing to Finisterre and Muxia. I'm Aiming to be around Burgos or Leon for Holy week! Still need to work on my starting date!

I'm from El Salvador, making the camino alone to celebrate the big 50... I'm hoping it will be a journey to remember forever!

Looking forward to meeting a few of you, and other fellow pilgrims to share this experience!

Buen Camino and happy planning!

Geraldina
I will be celebrating the big 50 on my Camino..... Yeah I think:/

My wife and I are doing the camino starting 16th may from SJPDP we are looking forward to time together as we are celebrating our 30Th in 2014 may all find their own Camino and enjoy each step - the Camino has started it finishes only when you stop walking and living

We (my family) will begin our trek on may 16th from SJPP as well! We will be coming may 12th from erie, pa to madrid and then to SJPP. I am sure we will see you (Larry) on the trail! The detailed planning can now begin since we have purchased our tickets. I have been reading about travel from Madrid, any advice is welcome from anyone that has traveled that path.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We hope to see you - remember there are always buses to SJPDP as well so if there is no direct train check buses or taxis as well

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

We (my family) will begin our trek on may 16th from SJPP as well! We will be coming may 12th from erie, pa to madrid and then to SJPP. I am sure we will see you (Larry) on the trail! The detailed planning can now begin since we have purchased our tickets. I have been reading about travel from Madrid, any advice is welcome from anyone that has traveled that path.
You'll probably be arriving in Pamplona by bus or train from Madrid.
A popular way of handling the journey to SJPdP is to utilise,
http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html
These folks will collect you from Pamps, feed you and put you up for the night then transport you to St Jean.
We are hearing good reports about these folks.

Regds
Gerard

I am going through them! They have been great so far. They are picking me up in Pamplona April 28th- cheers!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will be picked up by Corazon Puro the 25th of April and arriving in SJPdP the 26th, starting out the 27th.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ellen my wife Des and I are leaving SJPDP on the 16th May so we may see you on the walk

Hi Britchik, I am heading out of SJPdP on the 26th April as well. Not the original South African who started the thread, but a South African none the less ;) good to know another Forum member will be close by.
Hi Britchik and Monya we are also starting our camino frances from SJPP on the 26 april, arriving 24 from Puerto Rico. So we should cross paths. Buen Camino! Astrid & Mily

Staying at Corazon Puro on April 24, starting my Camino on the 25th and staying in Orrison that night.....look forward to seeing many of you.
Burn Camino
Brendan (Walkdontrun)

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Walkdontrun

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Howzit?
My SA son-in-law exposed me to your beautiful country......been there 5X!
I think that I would find it hard to leave, even to walk the Camino.

OK....maybe walking the Camino is different!

See you there!

I have a bright red pack with a South African flag on it, as well as in he Forum patch (thanks to Ivor!). 30 days to go!
Nice to hear from you I have a black pack with a Puerto Rico flag and also a forum patch. We will spend 2 nights in SJPDP before taking on the camino on the 26. Looking forward to an amazing experience. Hasta luego!

Eric, I will be doing my first Camino at the same time - April 10th through May. I will be flying into Madrid and bussing to Pamplona then somehow getting to Roncesvalles where I plan to begin. I have been looking forward to this for several years, but now I wonder if I am crazy!!?? I will be traveling solo, but not so much worried about safety as much as worried about whether I can do this. Gee, have I lost my mind?? Maybe our paths will cross, you will recognize me by look of astonishment that I am doing this!

Eric, I will be doing my first Camino at the same time - April 10th through May. I will be flying into Madrid and bussing to Pamplona then somehow getting to Roncesvalles where I plan to begin. I have been looking forward to this for several years, but now I wonder if I am crazy!!?? I will be traveling solo, but not so much worried about safety as much as worried about whether I can do this. Gee, have I lost my mind?? Maybe our paths will cross, you will recognize me by look of astonishment that I am doing this!
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you will be right. Those of us who have walked one of the Caminos will tell you that you can, and it is up to you to start believing it too!

Regards,

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you will be right. Those of us who have walked one of the Caminos will tell you that you can, and it is up to you to start believing it too!

Regards,
" TWENTY YEARS FROM NOW YOU WILL BE MORE DISSAPOINTED BY THE THINGS THAT YOU DIDN'T DO THAN BY THE ONES YOU DID DO.
SO THROW OFF THE BOWLINES. SAIL AWAY FROM THE SAFE HARBOR. CATCH THE TRADE WINDS IN YOUR SAILS. EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER "............................Mark Twain.
I couldn't have put it better myself. IS YOUR GLASS OF BEER HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY. Just get out there and simply DO IT.

I am leaving SJPP on April 8th so I will watch for you along the way!

Great! Look for a short Texan with a Camino Forum patch! Ready or not, here I come.
Hi Ronnie.S,

I've been looking for a short Texan all my life. Will have to continue looking you are on the Camino Frances and I will be on the VDLP.

Story of my life.
Buen Camino.........Keith.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great! Look for a short Texan with a Camino Forum patch! Ready or not, here I come.
Should be at least four of us on this forum leaving Roncevalles that day! I too will have a forum patch on my pack. Green and white Osprey pack with a scraggly beard on the front.

I would be interested to know how many people on the forum are leaving SJPDP on teh 16th May 2014?

You'll probably be arriving in Pamplona by bus or train from Madrid.
A popular way of handling the journey to SJPdP is to utilise,
http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html
These folks will collect you from Pamps, feed you and put you up for the night then transport you to St Jean.
We are hearing good reports about these folks.

Regds
Gerard
We are arriving on the 24th of April and staying here to recouperate from an all night flight. having a private room to begin our journey with some real rest before traveling to SJPdP. Getting very close! Getting very excited! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are arriving on the 24th of April and staying here to recouperate from an all night flight. having a private room to begin our journey with some real rest before traveling to SJPdP. Getting very close! Getting very excited! Buen Camino!
Hi! We are also arriving the 24 of April from Puerto Rico, it will be a long flight for us SJU-JFK(23 April) then a 6hr. layover then JFK -CDG, transferring to Orly for a flight to Biarritz with Air France, then waiting for shuttle to SJPDP. Resting the 25, starting our Camino the 26. I have a black pack with PR flag and forum patch so we will bump into each other. Looking forward to an awesome experience. Buen Camino!!!

Hi! We are also arriving the 24 of April from Puerto Rico, it will be a long flight for us SJU-JFK(23 April) then a 6hr. layover then JFK -CDG, transferring to Orly for a flight to Biarritz with Air France, then waiting for shuttle to SJPDP. Resting the 25, starting our Camino the 26. I have a black pack with PR flag and forum patch so we will bump into each other. Looking forward to an awesome experience. Buen Camino!!!

Can't wait to get started. We'll look for you on the road. Buen Camino.

Hello Everyone.
Cheers,
Eric
Hi Eric,

I'm starting from SJPP on the Saturday 19th. I turned 50 this year and finally decided to take time off work and adventure thru the Camino, it has been in my bucket list for more than 20 years... Looking forward sharing the Camino with you.
Cheers,
AE

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eric,

I'm starting from SJPP on the Saturday 19th. I turned 50 this year and finally decided to take time off work and adventure thru the Camino, it has been in my bucket list for more than 20 years... Looking forward sharing the Camino with you.
Cheers,
AE

Hey AE,
Glad you are gonna do the Camino and maybe we'll see each other on the road. Its getting pretty close now and I'm getting a bit excited (or perhaps I'm nervous :) ).

Trust you will enjoy the experience.

Cheers,
Eric

Hey AE,
Glad you are gonna do the Camino and maybe we'll see each other on the road. Its getting pretty close now and I'm getting a bit excited (or perhaps I'm nervous :) ).

Trust you will enjoy the experience.

Cheers,
Eric
GOOD WEATHER AND PEACE ON YOUR JOURNY *ERIC,I HOPE TO START MY WALK THE 30TH OF THIS MONTH .
BEST REGARDS *DOC HERE IN MUSIC CITY U.S.A

This Forum really is ...somewhere beyond "cool".
A whole lot of "starts" soon or already and the sense of Community and excitement comes through on these pages.
Some trepidation but looking forward to meeting many of you who seem to share the same feelings.
Here we go !
Buen Camino
Brendan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This Forum really is ...somewhere beyond "cool".
A whole lot of "starts" soon or already and the sense of Community and excitement comes through on these pages.
Some trepidation but looking forward to meeting many of you who seem to share the same feelings.
Here we go !
Buen Camino
Brendan

Right with you! Can't wait to meet some of these great people and my plane leaves in 14 hours and 15 minutes, but who is counting? ME! Wish I could leave for the airport right now....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am South African too. But have lived in Scotland for last 14 years. Starting from St Jean 16th April, will be slow, so look for the 65 yr old with a red Deuter backpack, then ons kan n bietjie die taal praat, then you can fly on. Veels geluk

Hey Jackie. I'll keep an eye out for the Red deuter pack. I've got a red karrimor pack, a fair sized boep (which I hope to loose along the way) and not much hair:) Hope to see you on the trail.

Jackie Des and I are also starting from SJPDP on the 16th We are sending our packs to roncesvalles so will only have a small backpack with us we may see you on the way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back