Camino in October

rob_fullnorth

Feb 26, 2019
Gauja, Latvia
www.fullnorth.com
Time of past OR future Camino
planning to make it in a couple of years.
Hello,
I'm Rob and I'm a newbie here in a forum. I'm thrilled about my plan to walk this year Camino de Santiago from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela in October of 2019. Anyone can share their experience what typical climate I can expect during that time of season? How crowded the trail can be during that time?
Thanks,
Rob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: rob_fullnorth

RJM

Veteran Member
May 10, 2017
Camino's Frances, Fisterre, Portuges. Over 180 day
After mid-October many of the albergues in the smaller towns begin closing for the season. As you approach November just as expected it gets colder and rainier. Maybe even experience snow in Galicia.
A lot less pilgrims on the Frances the later into October you get. Fair amount at the beginning of the month, but by the end of the month numbers go down quite a bit. A lot of empty beds in albergues.
To me October is like April on the Camino Frances. You can walk in sunny warm and dry weather one week, and the next week it is rainy and cold. Maybe even snow.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2013
Minnesota, United States
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
In my opinion, October is the perfect time to walk. The early part of the month can be quite warm. By the end of the month, it can be quite cool, with some mornings hovering around the freezing point. To get a feel for the conditions, you could check my photos from my late Sept/Oct CF in 2015. www.tomnorthenscold.com/camino

Rover

Dec 25, 2015
Camino Francis, Fall 2016
Hello,
I'm Rob and I'm a newbie here in a forum. I'm thrilled about my plan to walk this year Camino de Santiago from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela in October of 2019. Anyone can share their experience what typical climate I can expect during that time of season? How crowded the trail can be during that time?
Thanks,
Rob

Rob, Two years ago I completed the CF, starting in SJPP to Santiago. I began my trek on September 19th and completed it November 4th. By and large I had good weather, mostly in the 70 F degree range. I did have some rainy days, primarily in the mountains so a light weight wind breaker/rdain jacket is advised. When planning my trip, I heard that the CF was crowded fduring the high season months, which I wanted too avoid. I am happy to report that I did not experienced that, rather, light pilgrim traffic and no problem in securing a bed at any of the alburgues and pensions along the way. As a side note, I did take a very light weight sleeping bag which I would recommend. The counter argument to that is to take
Hello,
Thanks,
Rob

Rob, Two years ago I completed the CF, starting in SJPPand ending in Santiago. I began my trek on September 19th and completed it November 4th. By and large I had good weather, mostly in the 70 F degree range. I did have some rainy days, primarily in the mountains so a light weight windbreaker/rain jacket is advised. When planning my trip, I heard that the CF was crowded during the high season months, which I wanted too avoid. I am happy to report that had very light foot traffic and no problem in securing a bed at any of the alburgues and pensions along the way. As a side note, I did take a very light weight sleeping bag which I would recommend. The counter argument to that is to save the weight and take a slip cover; alburgues have blankets if needed. Have a wonderful journey

F

Former member 69452

In my opinion, October is the perfect time to walk. The early part of the month can be quite warm. By the end of the month, it can be quite cool, with some mornings hovering around the freezing point. To get a feel for the conditions, you could check my photos from my late Sept/Oct CF in 2015. www.tomnorthenscold.com/camino
Couldn't agree with you more!! Great advice for our newbie!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
F

Former member 69452

Hello,
Thanks,
Rob
Buen Camino!! Hope you have fabulous weather too!!

danielle aird

La vie est belle
Feb 22, 2019
Canada
May 2018; September 2018; May 2019; Sept (2019)
Hello,
Thanks,
Rob
I was on the Camino from mid-September to mid-October and we were blessed with incredible weather. Not a day of rain except for a few drops once or twice. We started walking at 7 am in about 12 degrees and by 11 am sometimes it started getting a bit hot; 1 pm it could be in the high 20's. Nice and cool at night. But, as we all know, weather is "caprichosa". What I loved was stuffing ourselves with wild blackberries and figs along the trail! Yum Yum! And the sunflower fields were so beautiful! Buen Camino.

Reactions: KerrieG

Mr.Smirky

Aug 6, 2013
Indiana, USA
Camino Frances October '14
Primitivo September '16
Del Norte October '19
My experience was October was perfect. Weather was warm during the day, cool at night. I had a week of rain but it wasn't so cold as to be a problem. There were pilgrims but not nearly as many as during the earlier months. I liked it so much I'm doing del Norte this October.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Rowena

Dec 4, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have walked the Camino Frances in April and in October. The weather was certainly changeable, but never too hot or too cold. I did find that I needed gloves early in the morning though, and buying some did pose a challenge. It was not crowded in October, and by time I reached Sarria, that section wasn’t crowded any more either, which wasn’t the case in early May. It rained only three times, all the way from SJPP! And then, of course, it poured in Santiago.

CESAR Ribeiro

Feb 19, 2015
Brasília, Brazil
sites.google.com
Yes, I made the way in August (2015), starting from Pamplona.
Hi Rob!

Welcome to the Forun.

In 2015 I completed the "Camino de Santiago", starting in Pamplona, like you, to Santiago. I began my trek on September 24th and completed it October 24th (30 days). You can walk in sunny warm and dry weather one week, and the next week it is rainy and cold. I think the opinion Mr RJM is the better!!

Have a nice journey, "Buen Camino"

Jackieduda

Nov 28, 2017
CF September (2018)
Hello,
Thanks,
Rob
I walked the Frances beginning in SJPDP in sept last year. By october, weather was still mild but it was colder in the mornings. (It will also be dark for about the first hour or more of your daily hike.). No problem if you bring a lightweight puffy jacket you can scrunch up in your backpack, gloves, a scarf, and lightweight layers. As the day wears on, you will be removing most of these items under the warm autumn sun. I never needed handwarmers (as i do when hiking here in massachusetts) but the jacket, scarf, lightweight gloves will make a big difference in your comfort level.

Buen Camino to you!
(Jacscamino.wordpress.com)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

NanaEL

Apr 25, 2018
Arizona
Frances in 2019, Portuguese 2023?
I love reading all these posts about the Fall as we are preparing to start on September 11th for the first time.
Thank you all for all your golden tidbits. We are on the slow mode most likely and like hearing what to expect late October ...
I love your pictures! Thanks for sharing with us.

Reactions: tomnorth

Jackieduda

Nov 28, 2017
CF September (2018)
Tom, these are moving, beautfulstupendous photos!

Reactions: tomnorth
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Mahuri

Oct 3, 2016
United States
Frances Oct 2016
Oct 2019
Hello,
Thanks,
Rob
Rob, - You should be thrilled! - I did it in 2016, SJPP - Santiago - Oct 6th - Nov 4th. Conditions were perfect, - not too hot or cold, but I you'll need everything from shorts & tee shirt to a fleece jacket. Some stragglers I met that ended up a week behind did experience some snow flurries in early November at higher elevations. Crowding is not a problem - it's just out of season, so you'll have plently of "space", and you'll meet some new friends too.
I'll be on the trail again in October this year to initiate my wife, but just a few days starting in Pamplona Oct 13, so we may cross paths.
All the best!
Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
I wanted to share my experience using the luggage forwarding/storage service offered by Casa Ivar. I flew from Dallas to Paris, arriving in Paris on March 29th. I’d requested DHL shipping from...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Is there a discount card available for seniors' travel in Spain?
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides