• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in winter: which route is warmer?

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Primitivo, Inglés+Fisterra/Muxía
Hi everyone,

My friend and I are thinking about going the Camino, but here's one serious limitation: we work together, and getting a vacation at the same time is very problematic.

However, here in Russia we have long NY/Christmas holidays, so we might make use of it.

We were thinking about the Portugues, but, as mentioned in this thread, it can be very rainy and cold. So, here's the question: which route(s) is/are the best for a winter Camino? The Camino de Invierno is, naturally, the first to spring to mind, but maybe there are other options :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding the Portugues route, I walked between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct, then visited my friend near Porto in late Nov-mid Dec. Rains didn't happen for me on this Camino apart just for one day of drizzle. Dec was a bit rainy, but it didn't stay for long and it didn't rain heavily. It was cool but not cold during the day, only early mornings and late evenings were chilly. I think the biggest trouble for me was not the weather but the heating inside. As in Portugal (and as far as I know Spain as well) central heating is almost nonexistant the temperatures inside could be rather unpleasant, especially in combo with humidity. Could be diffucult to get your washing dry overnight, unless you put it in a dryer. Make sure you have smth warm to wear in the albergue after the walk. As Russians we are really spoiled by central heating and we tend to get cold easily inside as our comfort zone is usually in the 20s. I have longish hair and if I decide to walk the way in winter I'd consider taking a small hairdrier with me - handy to dry clothes and boots as well. Seing that you'll be walking in a group it's even easier. Via de la Plata could be warmer if you start from Cadiz or Seville, you can walk it in chunks. I'd walk the Portugues way from Lisbon as well. Or even from Faro/Lagos - that's my goal for the future. It is supposed to rain in Southern Europe in winter anyway, so test your rain gear beforehand if possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As Russians we are really spoiled by central heating and we tend to get cold easily inside as our comfort zone is usually in the 20s. I have longish hair and if I decide to walk the way in winter I'd consider taking a small hairdrier with me - handy to dry clothes and boots as well.
Yes, I almost always miss central heating when travelling in Europe :)
Thanks for the advice, I never carry a hairdryer and probably wouldn't think of taking it for the Camino, but this makes sense!

Via de la Plata could be warmer if you start from Cadiz or Seville, you can walk it in chunks. I'd walk the Portugues way from Lisbon as well. Or even from Faro/Lagos - that's my goal for the future. It is supposed to rain in Southern Europe in winter anyway, so test your rain gear beforehand if possible.
I live in St Petersburg, so water is my native element :)

I was thinking about starting in the south of Spain or Portugal, but in this case, we won't reach Santiago by the end of our holidays :(

I would say Portugues or Via de la Plata (starting in Sevilla).

On despite of its name, the Camino de invierno is not so warm ;) It just give you an alternative to areas in which you might find lots of snow.

You don´t need to start at the very beginning of any Camino. Just calculate in reverse, in order to arrive Santiago on ..... I can start in ......

If you are not interested in obtaining the Compostela, you can also do the opposite I will start in .... I have these many days, I will finish in .... and not to reach Santiago. Anyhow I would reach Santiago, most even taking into consideration that this will be your first camino.

For calculating the stages you can go to gronze: https://www.gronze.com/

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Last edited:
Just finished the Camino Frances. 13 Nov to 17 Dec 2017. SJPP to Compostela. I know every year is different but it wasn’t as cold as I thought it might be. Daytime temps 2-10 degrees, most days sunny (or at least not raining) and coldest morning minus 6 degrees coming out of Burgos. Snow in O’Cebriero 11 Dec. Weather, in the main, fantastic and wonderful for walking. Great time of year to do the Camino Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I almost always miss central heating when travelling in Europe :)
Thanks for the advice, I never carry a hairdryer and probably wouldn't think of taking it for the Camino, but this makes sense!

I live in St Petersburg, so water is my native element :)

I was thinking about starting in the south of Spain or Portugal, but in this case, we won't reach Santiago by the end of our holidays :(
Santiago is not the aim, but the way/the journey is :) I did have enough time to walk from Lisbon all the way to Santiago on my second Camino but as I'd covered the Portugues way between Porto and Santiago before that wasn't an issue and was optional. You could do it in bits and next time you just start from where you finished last. I've found that Camino fulfilled it's purpose for me when I walked from Lisbon to Porto, even before reaching Porto. Of course I'd have wanted to walk all the way, and especially with the same Camino family but that wasn't necessary. As people say here Camino gives you what you need, not necessarily what you want :) So be flexible :)

I have walked in winter. On a lot of routes everything maybe closed including albergues and other accomodations. The Camino Frances is the most travelled in winter and therefore has more albergues open. Might be something to think about. There is a winter list of accomodation for the Frances also. But I can say the Frances is truly beautiful in winter too!

If I were going to walk alone, the choice would have been easier (or not?), but my friend isn't a great lover of winter, snow, and so on, and this is why we are looking for a relatively warm route :)

Turns out she, too, doesn't mind walking just a portion of the way this time and then continuing to Santiago sometime in the future, so we're now thinking of the Camino Mozárabe (Granada and Cordoba are two Spanish cities we're greatly interested in, so it was a rather easy choice). Thanks all (especially @surya8) for pointing us in this direction!:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thinking of the Camino Mozárabe (Granada and Cordoba are two Spanish cities we're greatly interested in, so it was a rather easy choice
Take a look at some climate graphs before you finalise your plans. Granada may be colder than you expect.

Before Granada - The Camino Mozarabe from Almeria is a lovely route. From Alquife to Granada (via Guadix, La Peza, Quentar) it is especially beautiful but up to 1,400m altitude and cold. You will find snow up there. There might be some alternative routes to follow in the winter months.

Granada itself - The city is a shining jewel with incredible cultural heritage from the Moorish era. The city is at around 800m altitude with mountains all around, so it is relatively cold for its latitude.

After Granada - The first stage after Granada is rather dull (industrial and semi-urban). If you aren't worried about walking every step of the way, you might prefer to take a bus to Pinos Puente. After that, you climb to relatively high altitudes again. I think it could be quite cold. (Moclin - 1,000m altitude).

I don't know how this compares with conditions on the Via de la Plata. Perhaps you should also consider starting in Seville (or Cadiz) and walking as far as Merida? Seville and Merida are also awesome cities with fabulous historical monuments.

Thank you, @Raggy! I thought about Cadiz before I looked a bit to the east and found a route going via Granada and Cordoba.

I looked at a map (sadly, I don't remember where I found it), and it seems that the Via Augusta between Cadiz and Seville runs across a plain. Looks good!

Attachments

• photo_2018-01-14_22-33-36.jpg
    photo_2018-01-14_22-33-36.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 18
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
You could look at the Rota Vicentina:

http://en.rotavicentina.com/

Jill
Hi Jill,

I'm a bit wary of the Portuguese routes because they run parallel to the ocean shore, and the winds can be strong and cold. I've been in Porto twice, in March and September, and it wasn't particularly hot there, even in the sun. Are things better in the south of the country?

There is also a camino route from Faro in the south of Portugal. From there you can walk to Lisbon. Temperatures might be warmer than the same latitudes on the Via de la Plata. Rainfall perhaps greater. But I have a feeling that it is much less developed so it might be less well marked, with fewer places to stay.
http://www.caminhosantiagoportuguessul.pt/caminho-de-santiago-portugues-central-do-sul

And ... how about the Lycean Way in Turkey. I know, it's not a Camino at all. But it is supposed to be ideal for the winter months:
http://www.lycianturkey.com/lycian-way.htm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked 8 days from Valencia on the Camino de Levante over New Year's Eve a few years ago. Lovely weather, lots and lots of orange groves - but you have to speak Spanish and plan a lot in advance, since accommodation can be problematic.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Regarding the south of Portugal in winter: it's much warmer then Porto and more pleasant. We traveled for a week between Faro and Lagos in mid Feb, hiked around Sagres, loved walking along the ocean. It rained a bit, but overall was sunny and warm enough to walk in just a thin jacket. The cliffs near Lagos are breathtaking! I'd go back there just for that! The went to Lisbon after that and noticed a difference in weather stright away, as it was colder then Algarve but still pleasant. Also some years ago stayed around Lisbon betwen X-mas and New Year: it was cool but sunny and only in Sintra was a bit gloomy, but Sintra has it's own microclimate. Yes, there are different Caminos from down there, one starting from Lagos/Sagres/Cabo da Roca, and another one from Faro, inland one. I'd still give Portugal a go in winter. Plenty of orange groves there :) but don't expect albergues, so it'd definitely be more expensive and will need some planning and flexibility.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back