Camino Ingles

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Does anyone have any information on this walk?
There is a great deal of information in the Gronze guide to the route. Lists of accommodation, elevation profiles, route descriptions and so on. Could you be more specific about the information you are looking for?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
The Xunta albergues are open all year round. Gronze lists the opening periods for some other accommodation - others you may have to contact directly. Most pilgrim accommodation reopens at Easter. The Camino Ingles is a much quieter route than the Camino Frances but there is also less accommodation available. At peak times there can be pressure on accommodation. If you are walking around Easter - a busy time - then you might consider reserving beds in advance. That is not possible in the Xunta albergues.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
Yes.

There is sufficient accommodation generally but not an excess. The route is not so ‘touristy’ as the Frances. Whilst some basic Spanish would improve your experience it’s not ‘necessary’ just advisable.

Although I’d say it’s my favourite route - and much preferred to the Frances - the period around Easter might see difficulties with accommodation.

May 5, 2021
My kitchen table (CT,USA)
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
Also i know its not busy but how would it be doing it alone? I'm 71 years and don't speak spanish!?
It was my first Camino experience, I went alone and I love it. I listened to a learning Spanish book on Audible so I had a few phrases down. I found that for the most part that if you try Spanish most people will work with you ( this is true for most countries and their languages based on my limited experience). On my trip I only met Spaniards with one exception, someone from Rome. And there are a couple of fellow pilgrims I still keep in touch with. Try and make reservations for meals. But if you don't most restaurants will squeeze you in if you arrive early (before dinner service) and have a glass of wine. And when you are going to Bruma or Meson de Vento make sure you stop at Casa Avelina.

Andresin

Mar 3, 2017
Camino francés May 2017, Camino del Norte October 2017
It was my first Camino experience, I went alone and I love it. I listened to a learning Spanish book on Audible so I had a few phrases down. I found that for the most part that if you try Spanish most people will work with you ( this is true for most countries and their languages based on my limited experience). On my trip I only met Spaniards with one exception, someone from Rome. And there are a couple of fellow pilgrims I still keep in touch with. Try and make reservations for meals. But if you don't most restaurants will squeeze you in if you arrive early (before dinner service) and have a glass of wine. And when you are going to Bruma or Meson de Vento make sure you stop at Casa Avelina.
Bill, when are you walking el ingles? I am 73 and planing for a May walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nov 21, 2011
Astorga, León, España
TheOtherJew.blogspot.com
SJPdP > Santiago - 2016
Porto > Santiago - 2018
Also i know its not busy but how would it be doing it alone? I'm 71 years and don't speak spanish!?
Go for it. Look for Susan Jagannath’s book on Amazon that has details of the trip. I did some it last week using hostels instead of albergues and it was interesting. I’m 73 years old.

Reactions: dougfitz

JZA

Jun 8, 2021
England
2018, 2019, 2022
I'm thinking of doing it around Easter...so wondering how busy and also as it would be my first time if the accomadation is available at that time? But thanks I'll check out the website. GD.
I walked from Ferrol, the only problem I had was because I was following a group of 16 who soaked up some of the accommodation options. But I always found an alternative.

Reactions: dougfitz
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dec 12, 2022
Ireland
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
Dec 12, 2022
Ireland
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
I walked from Ferrol, the only problem I had was because I was following a group of 16 who soaked up some of the accommodation options. But I always found an alternative.
For that precise reason, and also because I am slow i booked every night, a new experience for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

brianne fitzgerald

Jan 15, 2018
Boston, Ma
The French Way (2016, 22)Portuguese Camino (2018),
Loved casa Avelina

Reactions: Bill's_Walking

Turga

Camino tortuga
Jul 10, 2017
Copenhagen
🐢. . . . . . . . .
Is the Camino Ingles a pleasant walk in mid-October-early November? Or is this route too cold and rainy? Thank you.

Hard to say if it is too cold and rainy, it may be for some and for others maybe not? It is located in the far north-west which generally is the more chilly and moist corner of Spain.

I walked it in August last year and I did run into some wet and chilly days. Personally, I would not walk it in October/November, but that’s just me - I like warm weather :)

Reactions: sebastian606
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Susan6

Jun 15, 2014
Plan to walk from Sarria to Santiago in September 2014. First timer
Hi I'm doing this walk this week from A Coruna. II travel on Tuesday, have one day to explore A Coruna and start walking on Wednesday to be in Santiago on Sunday. What do you need to know?

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Bill's_Walking
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

jcat

Dec 9, 2015
California
2016-2023
And from Pontdeume on, are the hills walkable for older slow pilgrim?
The hills leaving the towns of Pontedeume & Betanzos are fairly steep, but not very long. They really get the heart and lungs pumping first thing in the morning, but they are very doable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

suirtean62

Feb 13, 2023
Manchester
April 2023
I am at Hospital de Bruma after 3 day tomorrow Siguero and on to Santiago Thursday. I am not a hiker the hills have challenged since Pontedeume are tough but leave early head down plenty of water it can be done. My next camino will not be the Ingles. Not many English people at present. One thing is blister prevention and care terrain is rough between Betanzos and Bruma

Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
I posted last week (Live- On the Camino Ingles) it was super busy because of Easter, I’m told it’s already quitening down. Definitely ease into it, stop first day in Neda, and even consider stopping off stage - I.e, shorter days if you are concerned. Although I think if you do as suggested above and listen to your body, take it easy with plenty of breaks - and water!! - you’ll be fine. If you have accommodation booked, you have no real deadlines. And no, you won’t be alone! I’m a Kiwi, speak just a couple of words of Spanish and had no issues. Made German, Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish, Palestinian and Danish friends - because they All spoke English as a second language. (Although I also speak German, it wasn’t necessary)Also met many other lovely people. If you look for other Camino Ingles threads, there are several with people leaving soon. Oh, I’m 59, the oldest person I met was 83…..
Buen Camino 🇳🇿

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
They say that Ferrol to Pontedueme is 30km but Brierly’s book describes shorter optional routes of about 20km. What to people think of that?
It is - a bit over with the variant shortly before Neda, which I recommend- and definitely viable - I’m not overly fit and I comfortably did it in one day ( because of time constraints - but I have to say I didn’t feel ready to stop at Neda). But others I met spent the morning exploring Ferrol, then strolled to Neda in the afternoon as a gentle intro to the week. Seemed imminently sensible to me, hence why I recommended it ( above). And as David says above, why make a short Camino shorter? 🇳🇿

Jan 22, 2014
Virginia US
It is - a bit over with the variant shortly before Neda, which I recommend- and definitely viable - I’m not overly fit and I comfortably did it in one day ( because of time constraints - but I have to say I didn’t feel ready to stop at Neda). But others I met spent the morning exploring Ferrol, then strolled to Neda in the afternoon as a gentle intro to the week. Seemed imminently sensible to me, hence why I recommended it ( above). And as David says above, why make a short Camino shorter? 🇳🇿
Then stroll to Miño, a short easy walk, and go to the beach, or eat lunch at a beachside restaurant. Miño was my “easing in after Covid” stop after Neda, halfway to Pontedeume, after which the walking gets real very quickly.
All the best,
Paul

Reactions: JZA

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! Excited first time pilgrim here, flying into A Coruña and starting in Ferrol end of May. I have a lot of questions, so any thoughts from recent experiences are welcome! - Not sure my...
I fly to A Coruña this Wednesday to start walking from Ferrol on Thursday (yes I've packed all the waterproofs 🫣)... I was planning on using the same pilgrim passport that I used on the St James'...
Hi everyone, Planning for our first Camino is going well, we've booked flights, most of the accommodation to suit our Camino but I'm getting a little stuck when it comes to Presedo. As most of...
I'll be flying into A Coruña this Monday along with my mother and husband, and I haven't quite figured out how to catch the bus from A Coruña to Ferrol. From what I gather, one must take a bus...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.