• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese 2001

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Yes, you read it right. I urgently need a list of available accommodation on the Camino Portuguese from the year 2001 or perhaps the year before. It doesn't have to be compete or even wide ranging as I will be using it in the next novel "Compostela". If we have any veteran pilgrims out there who could look out their old pilgrim diary I would be mighty appreciative!

Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot

P.S. If anyone is interested in my "State of the Camino Address" after my 4,879 klms marathon drive over the last three weeks along the Portuguese, the Finisterre, the Frances and the Aragon Routes (and a bit of the south west one too) I will be writing every day on the above blog with my comments on the things I saw and the people I met. You are cordially invited.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Johnny Walker, who knows a lot about these things, says that there were no refugios along the Postuguese in the years in questions, but that hospitality was offered by the bomberos, which is how I remember it.
So the mystery is solved.
However,
If anyone has any stories to share about the Way in Portugal/Galicia in 2001, I would be thrilled to hear from you.
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Oi! JW only knows a lot of people who know a lot of things! Eduardo one of the managers in the Pilgrims' Office has been here for more than 10 years and is clear that to his memory there were no albergues. We discussed the fine albergue at Rates but that was more recent.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Here are a few bits from my journal of June 2000, it was part holiday and part walking.
Oporto . Pensao Estoril - cheap but strange bathroom in bedroom partioned off by some sort of double glazed glass.
Lovely train journey to Valenca do Mino and walked over bridge to Tui stayed Hostel Generoso [2600 pesetas]
Bus to Pontevedra and stayed Hotel Ruas.
Walked Pntevedra to Caldas stayed Hotel Davila and ate at Tres Molinas.
Walked Caldas to Padron stayed Hostel Ponderosa.
Walked Padron to Santiago.
Looking back at my CSJ 1998 guide and 2000 supplement it mentions new albergue at Redondela and the new albergue at Pontevedra and planned albergue at Padron.
We only saw one pilgrim, a Dutchman cycling around the coast of Spain and Portugal.
Liz

Liz, thank you VERY much. This is just what I needed. Sorry to be late in replying.
The Davila is great isn´t it? I bet it has barely changed in 50 years.
Tracy

Yes, the Davila was interesting, like going back in time, our room was spotless and I think overlooking the garden and I am not sure if he was the owner or manager but I had a guided tour all round the hotel, spa [full of Spanish people having various treatments] and garden. He was very proud of the hotel and he also recommended the Molinas to eat and drink which was like going ever further back in time.
Liz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I just finished my first Camino. I was on the Portugues route from Porto to Santiago: Coastal till Vila do Conde after that Central till Santiago. I would love to give back some of the...
Hi, I am trying to book at Pilgrims Nest/Ninho and I have a What's App phone number of +351 916 866 372 but no response and I tried calling and it sounds like a bad number. I also had this number...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back