• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo September 2019

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Primitivo in Sept this year 2019
Hello 👋
I'll be walking my first Camino solo, leaving Oviedo on Sept 15. As I have 20 days in hand, I'm planning to continue on to Finisterre and Muxia if I have the time. Any advice would be great. Feeling excited and apprehensive 😃!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello 👋
I'll be walking my first Camino solo, leaving Oviedo on Sept 15. As I have 20 days in hand, I'm planning to continue on to Finisterre and Muxia if I have the time. Any advice would be great. Feeling excited and apprehensive 😃!!!

Hi, Ruchira,
Welcome to the forum!

I think it should be a great time to walk. Crowds will probably be done, weather should be great. My first Primitivo was in early October and it was perfect weather, nice amounts of peregrinos. Some cold mornings, and some snow in the mountains in higher elevations, but that just made the views more glorious! If you “run cold” I would definitely consider some lambswool gloves and wool ear warmers, because you may have some brisk weather. I know temps are rising, but I found that on several mornings, with the starting temperature around 5-6 degrees Celsius, the gloves were such a delight. They are very lightweight and I was very happy to have them.

Yes, September is a lovely time. We encountered quite a few very warm days in Sept, despite the mountains. But indeed the mornings are cool. I am hearing that one should avoid Grado, as it is a starting place for many pilgrims, and as Sept is still a very popular month to walk, the accommodations may fill up. Consider the shorter first day to Escamplero, combining it with a visit to the Naranco UNESCO churches in the morning. They are worth the visit! Then, you will avoid Grado. Of course, you should stop at the cathedral in Oviedo for your first stamp, and the 9th century UNESCO church there, the San Julián de los Prado. Consider a rest day in Lugo - you have plenty of time!

If you like stories and want to read about ours, and our stages, click here. I have included lots and lots of information to aid you in your journey! Have a most glorious Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Ruchira,
Welcome to the forum!

I think it should be a great time to walk. Crowds will probably be done, weather should be great. My first Primitivo was in early October and it was perfect weather, nice amounts of peregrinos. Some cold mornings, and some snow in the mountains in higher elevations, but that just made the views more glorious! If you “run cold” I would definitely consider some lambswool gloves and wool ear warmers, because you may have some brisk weather. I know temps are rising, but I found that on several mornings, with the starting temperature around 5-6 degrees Celsius, the gloves were such a delight. They are very lightweight and I was very happy to have them.
Thank you for your response and advice - especially about the gloves! I'm also wondering if I should take my sleeping bag? I have a thermal liner and a silk sheet - hoping this will be enough - trying not to exceed 7 kgs in total.

Thank you for your response and advice - especially about the gloves! I'm also wondering if I should take my sleeping bag? I have a thermal liner and a silk sheet - hoping this will be enough - trying not to exceed 7 kgs in total.

A friend and I are leaving Oviedo on September 16 so we may see you along the way. But we are starting off slowly, and if I remember correctly we will take 15 days plus one rest day to get to Santiago. Have a great Camino!

I would say take the sleeping bag not the liner or sheet unless you are someone who can tolerate cold nights,I can't...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A friend and I are leaving Oviedo on September 16 so we may see you along the way. But we are starting off slowly, and if I remember correctly we will take 15 days plus one rest day to get to Santiago. Have a great Camino!
Perhaps we'll bump into one another. I don't have a firm plan, other than a rest day in Lugo. I'll take each day as it comes. Wishing you and your friend a buen Camino 🚶🚶.

Yes, September is a lovely time. We encountered quite a few very warm days in Sept, despite the mountains. But indeed the mornings are cool. I am hearing that one should avoid Grado, as it is a starting place for many pilgrims, and as Sept is still a very popular month to walk, the accommodations may fill up. Consider the shorter first day to Escamplero, combining it with a visit to the Naranco UNESCO churches in the morning. They are worth the visit! Then, you will avoid Grado. Of course, you should stop at the cathedral in Oviedo for your first stamp, and the 9th century UNESCO church there, the San Julián de los Prado. Consider a rest day in Lugo - you have plenty of time!

If you like stories and want to read about ours, and our stages, click here. I have included lots and lots of information to aid you in your journey! Have a most glorious Camino!
Thank you for the links and info. I so enjoyed reading it all and found it very useful. I've purchased your e book and I'm sure I'll be referring to it along the way!

Welcome to the Forum, Ruchira. There is a wealth of knowledge herein, but sometimes it is necessary to separate fact from opinion, but not in the replies to your post.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps we'll bump into one another. I don't have a firm plan, other than a rest day in Lugo. I'll take each day as it comes. Wishing you and your friend a buen Camino 🚶🚶.

Hi there Ruchira,
My friends and I are leaving Oviedo on the 14th but plan to slow down a bit where we can. Perhaps we will cross paths! So glad to see you on the forums - I planned my first Camino using the forums and this group is invaluable and I managed to meet many of the folks I interacted with on the site.

All the best to you and Buen Camino.

PS - I am pro lightweight sleeping bag. A cold terrible sleep makes for a tough day on path the next day. If weight is the issue, perhaps there is something you can swap out. Apologies if you already have this advice, but I read once about not packing our fears and it was very liberating to let go. So my personal guideline is if I don't plan to use it everyday or every other day, then I don't bring it. The only "just in case" items are related to my Rx and even then, I bring a short supply since we can acquire most things in Spain. The rain gear felt like a "just in case" before my first trip, but I used it enough, I was glad to have it. On my second Camino, I used it almost everyday. Planning for the same next month. Happy packing. :)

Hi there Ruchira,
My friends and I are leaving Oviedo on the 14th but plan to slow down a bit where we can. Perhaps we will cross paths! So glad to see you on the forums - I planned my first Camino using the forums and this group is invaluable and I managed to meet many of the folks I interacted with on the site.

All the best to you and Buen Camino.

PS - I am pro lightweight sleeping bag. A cold terrible sleep makes for a tough day on path the next day. If weight is the issue, perhaps there is something you can swap out. Apologies if you already have this advice, but I read once about not packing our fears and it was very liberating to let go. So my personal guideline is if I don't plan to use it everyday or every other day, then I don't bring it. The only "just in case" items are related to my Rx and even then, I bring a short supply since we can acquire most things in Spain. The rain gear felt like a "just in case" before my first trip, but I used it enough, I was glad to have it. On my second Camino, I used it almost everyday. Planning for the same next month. Happy packing. :)
Hi nomadpeah!
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm planning on arriving in Oviedo on the 13th but decided to spend two nights there as I've heard it's lovely. if I don't see you in Oviedo I'm sure we'll meet somewhere en route. Buen Camino to you and your friends!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.