Camino primitovo with child

Elh2o

Jun 7, 2021
Wexford
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Everyone ;)

We are family with 3 year old daughter and we are thinking of doing camino primitivo in the middle of July for 14 days.

we are coming from Ireland to Bilbao by boat and if you know any better short Camino way to Santiago from this side of Spain, please advise.

thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

PadreW

Bearded Member
Jan 1, 2021
USA
Primitivo is tough at the beginning. Lots of significant altitude changes. Though not impossible, maybe 2 weeks back along the Frances would be more enjoyable.

My training here on the flattest earth God ever made wasn't nearly adequate. But, I'll be giving the Primitivo another go in one month.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2016
Various ones.
I have seen lone mums with a baby in a pram do the Camino Frances, and way back there was an American family came on here and talked about their experience of walking with a child being carried by the father in a child carrying hiking backpack, so it's definitely doable, but I would qualify that by adding in my own opinion it's more manageable on a route with a bit more infrastructure and less challenging sections than the Primitivo, which if you are coming in from the North and want to stay up there, this leaves you with the Camino Frances and most likely starting from Leon(300-310km), for which there is a daily train from Bilbao to Leon or take a high speed one to Vitoria and change for San Sebastian to Galicia train(s) and there is most likely busses as well.
The Primitivo is a stunning route, and some of the reasons why that is because it has very remote sections with less interference from the outside world, so that is a positive but in your case because you can't guarantee that you will be allowed in Albergues with a child, some will some won't, and this is what I picked up from previous pilgrims who have walked with children and that's even if there is space. You need more options to take private rooms than maybe the Primitivo offers , you do find them on the Primitivo, but the options to take them is less than the Camino Frances, + on the Frances there is more options to take a taxi to your accommodation if it becomes too much on any day for your daughter and she needs to be in a calm place in a room.
However I'm going to contradict myself here, it might not seem doable until someone actually does it, whatever you do...

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Reactions: LineDenmark
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
its all a bit tricky at the moment to find timetabling & tickets but if you are landing in Bilbao consider using the FEVE narrow gauge railway to Santander, Gijon & Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. Though you might need to find a baggage transfer company to shift most of your kit if you're going to hump a three-year-old. Alternatively you could FEVE all the way to Ferrol and hack the Ingles. It takes 3 days from Bilbao to Ferrol with careful planning on the FEVE but the scenery is great.

The FEVE website is here: https://www.renfe.com/es/es/cercanias/cercanias-feve but its not user friendly. As with RENFE's mainline website you need to know where the train routes run and which stations are the termini but if you have a few afternoons to spare (unlikely with a three-year-old) it is all doable.

Happy planning

Reactions: Tia Valeria
Aug 1, 2020
Hatton, Warwick, England.
Hello Everyone ;)

We are family with 3 year old daughter and we are thinking of doing camino primitivo in the middle of July for 14 days.

we are coming from Ireland to Bilbao by boat and if you know any better short Camino way to Santiago from this side of Spain, please advise.

thank you.
Camino Ingles. Ferrol to Santiago is only 120k and much less strenuous than the Primitivo.

Reactions: Tia Valeria

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
You could start in Porto and do the Coastal Camino. You could stay on the litoral and pretty much be walking on a boardwalk by the beach. It is about 2 weeks from Porto to Santiago. If you have time you can do the Spiritual Variant which adds a day or so but is really beautiful.

Reactions: chinacat
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.