Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Verde from Primitivo ..

sunflowers

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo
CF
Hello, I am having trouble finding any information regarding the stages on the Verde. Is there a current thread, please?

Where would I cross over to the Verde from the Primitivo and is there adequate pilgrim accommodation (dorm rooms)...

thank you very much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@sunflowers, I walked the Verde on July last year, beautiful. I simply followed the excellent information provided by @Telelama , ( post 14) and the green arrows. Post in thread 'Camino Verde trail conditions?' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-verde-trail-conditions.80616/post-1140509

I'll send you a pm with a YouTube link.
It splits from the Primitivo immediately after Lugo. Be aware there are zero services in between stops: no water, no service stations, no cafes, nothing. So you need to carry everything with you.
There are no albergues because this is not an official Camino. If you book directly with Casa Benigno - email, DON'T use Booking.com. €30 for pilgrims if you email/phone directly.

Incidentally, whilst I didn’t use any apps on the Camino, you’ll find the Verde on Mapy.cz . Probably worth downloading Mapy if you don’t already have it.
If you do decide to do this, you might also want to continue onto the Norte variant. Again, no services after the first couple of hours, and only one reasonable place to stay, Twin Pines

I absolutely loved the first day of the Verde, the second half was also nice, but the best ends partway though the day when you hit the Norte. It’s all on here, I think posts 38 and 39

or my videos.

Last edited:
oh, thank you, Peter. No services! hmmm...ok...that is a game changer for me as I am not keen on carrying everything with me (I will be walking in Summer with a small pack)...but I will look at the thread and video and perhaps then decide! the remote aspect appeals. gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
oh, thank you, Peter. No services! hmmm...ok...that is a game changer for me as I am not keen on carrying everything with me (I will be walking in Summer with a small pack)...but I will look at the thread and video and perhaps then decide! the remote aspect appeals. gracias.
Yes, both days I carried a full three litres of water and needed it, plus food for the day. Many have said it's 25 kilometers, myself and a Dutch mother and daughter both measured it at over 28 to Friol. Beautiful. I saw a total of four other pilgrims, not on the Camino itself but at dinner in Friol. We do tend to stand out amongst the well-dressed locals!

Day 2 is somewhat different as you join the Norte after 15? kilometers (I'm not sure), no more than an hour later there's a bar.

Sounds wonderful. Three litres minimum is a lot to carry (for me). I very much wish to stay at the monastery in Sobrado

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It really depends on how much water you drink of course but it was July and I go through a moderate amount of water in a day. Had I thought about it I would have carried my water filter with me, that would have worked well on the first part of day one. It would easily have saved me carrying a litre if not more. I don't recall any streams after the first couple of hours, I'd have to check my video

I don't know if the below can help. But it is possible to walk from Lugo to Friol without carrying all food. If you at the beginning of the day follow the yellow arrows out Lugo towards Melide, you can get refreshments at San Vincente de Burgo, then turn to the right towards the Templo Romano (Santalla de Boveda) and the green arrows. The first kilometers are NOT marked, but you just walk towards the Museum, pass it, after which the green arrows come. You can find a description of the route in Danish and perhaps google translate it on my Danish pilgrim website: jakobsvejen.dk. http://www.jakobsvejen.dk/2023/06/ruta-verde-fra-lugo-til-sobrado-dos.html and her: http://www.jakobsvejen.dk/2018/10/dagbog-fra-bjerg-caminoen.html

Buen Camino

Poul Erik

Nothing important to add.
Casa Benigno in Friol is the only accomodation I found last summer. Friol is a nice town.
Nice camino, especially on the first day.
Be careful that dogs met on this camino are not used to pilgrims as they are on main caminos.
Buen Camino !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know if the below can help. But it is possible to walk from Lugo to Friol without carrying all food. If you at the beginning of the day follow the yellow arrows out Lugo towards Melide, you can get refreshments at San Vincente de Burgo, then turn to the right towards the Templo Romano (Santalla de Boveda) and the green arrows. The first kilometers are NOT marked, but you just walk towards the Museum, pass it, after which the green arrows come. You can find a description of the route in Danish and perhaps google translate it on my Danish pilgrim website: jakobsvejen.dk. http://www.jakobsvejen.dk/2023/06/ruta-verde-fra-lugo-til-sobrado-dos.html and her: http://www.jakobsvejen.dk/2018/10/dagbog-fra-bjerg-caminoen.html

Buen Camino

Poul Erik
Doesn't that then miss the section through the woods? That's the best part of the walk! Mind you, if all the OP wants to do is get to Sobrado it would work. Still a fair way without water....

Nice camino, especially on the first day.
Be careful that dogs met on this camino are not used to pilgrims as they are on main caminos.
Buen Camino !
Very true, as detailed in my thread I was actually attacked by a German shepherd on day two. It was a one-off incident however, and the Dutch pair that I mentioned above passed the same Farm less than an hour later and had no issue.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Peterexpatkiwi - just to check, if we take the Verde it would be Lugo - Friol - Sobradelo - Santiago?

I’m having limited internet and cannot check your YT videos atm. I'm struggling a lot on the Primitivo and the Verde might be a good option to get away from here for a couple of days.

@sun is shining, exactly as @Pafayac has posted, or take the Norte variant after Sobrado. As I posted above the only reasonably priced accommodation on the Variant Is at Twin Pines (booking.com). So for me it was Lugo, Friol, Sobrado, Twin Pines and Santiago, although I stopped at the dreaded Monte de Gozo rather than walk in to the square that afternoon, simply because my hotel reservation was for the following day! (I'd meant to stop earlier but had accidentally walked right past everything without realising.)

In Sobrado I stayed at the excellent Pension Sobrado, directly on the square because after over an hour of waiting it was still unsure if I would get a bed. A tad expensive at 48 euros for a single but as a double it doesn't cost much more, and it was very comfortable!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@sun is shining , here's the contact details for Casa Beningo, hopefully they're still current. Phone: +34 982 375 028. mobile: +34 666 274 344. Email: casabenignofriol@gmail.com.

I didn't look to see if they are on WhatsApp, just used Google translate and sent an email (although the bloke that checked me in speaks some English) Had a response within 24 hours. Specified in my email that I was a pilgrim walking the Verde because they are active supporters of the route, hence the pilgrim discount.

I loved the route, especially the first day - it was one of the highlights of my Camino. Whilst I survived just fine by simply following the arrows (Green, in nature you really have to keep your head on swivel - especially as some of the arrows are on the trees/path/road) the Dutch ladies got lost in the woods and walked many kilometers more than necessary. So it might be worthwhile downloading mapy.cz if you don't have it already. I didn't have it at the time but used the Verde to check mapy's accuracy when I first downloaded it for the Jakobsweg here in Germany, it was absolutely spot on.

I booked Casa Begnigo just last week for June via WhatsApp- with prompt response
On +34 666 27 43 44

I too said I was a pilgrim. Used a short message translated on Google Translate with date I wanted to stay.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the ruta verde 8&9 May and I almost had to swim a few sections. No bathing suit available I opted for scrambling through the woods. Another person did not fancy that and simply walked on the roads. Very handy if indeed you have Mapy.cz so you can check out your options. I loved it by the way!! The first day I kept to the left of the river at the bridge (I think you can also cross the bridge), and it was magical. (I don’t mean the big river crossing walking out of Lugo, but a smallish bridge after a few km’s in the forest.)

@Peterexpatkiwi - just to check, if we take the Verde it would be Lugo - Friol - Sobradelo - Santiago?

I’m having limited internet and cannot check your YT videos atm. I'm struggling a lot on the Primitivo and the Verde might be a good option to get away from here for a couple of days.
Can you say why you are struggling? I've just finished and had been going to go to the Camino Verde but for various reasons decided to stay put. I was walking on my own for much of the time (joy) and can say I didn't get too bothered by the Day pilgrims. And the path seemed to have changed for the better since I walked in many years ago. The only part I struggled with was the long walk into Melide.

Can you say why you are struggling?
I’m not even sure - maybe it’s just the stark contrast between the quiet Invierno / San Salvador and now the very busy Primitivo. There’s a party atmosphere here that I’m not getting along with (definitely a me problem). So I thought the Verde might be a nice escape but given the constant rain this might not be a smart choice.

How was your Primitivo?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I am having trouble finding any information regarding the stages on the Verde. Is there a current thread, please?

Where would I cross over to the Verde from the Primitivo and is there adequate pilgrim accommodation (dorm rooms)...

thank you very much!
I would not advise the use of thread while doing a Camino, best keep it to a decent rope as the thread could break at any time and send you tumbling down the hill/mountain side. Chuck

Most read last week in this forum

Hola peregrinos, A friend and I are embarking on the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo, setting off from the cathedral on June 4th. Can anyone give an indication as to how busy we should expect it to...
I am doing the Primitivo route late August /Sept '24. I have three weeks, I would like to keep daily distances less than 25k. Would anybody have an itinerary with suggested stages &...
I am helping someone figure out Primitivo stages and could use some help on the Camiño Verde option. I have walked the Camiño Verde from Santa Eulalia to Friol and on to Sobrado, but I missed...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.