• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Virgin

bribaby

Hi there, I am well into the planning stages of my first Camino. I will be walking from Sarria to Compostela starting on April 17th. Now the New Year has started I feel the first tremors of anticipation (dread?, nah ). Flight from Valencia is booked , training is up to 15k a day, and the pile of necessary equipment is slowly starting to accumulate!.
Today I managed to find a site listing the bus timetables from Compostela to Lugo, from where I am reliably informed connections to Sarria are available. (link at end of posting).
I would dearly have loved to do the whole Camino, but at 72 yrs old I will see how the Sarria trek goes!
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion3a.htm
Look forward to meeting some of you on the Camino,
Bribaby

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will find your bus from Lugo to Sarria here: http://www.monbus.es It takes about 1/2 an hour.
Lugo has one of the best preserved Roman walls in all of Spain built between 265AD and 310AD. Its worth staying for a while - walk around city on the top of the wall - its a favourite running, walking circle for the inhabitants and is just over 2km long.

Attachments

• Lugo 2km wall.JPG
    Lugo 2km wall.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 384
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The walk from Sarria is beautiful!
We stayed in a very nice alburgue in Sarria - they had a lovely reading room with an open fireplace, garden,and free drinks. The name is Alburgue Don Alvaro, CL Mayor 10. Their telephone number is 982.531.592. A very nice place.

Congrats on the decision to walk the Camino. I would not worry much about age - as long as you're training and as long as you go at your own pace, you should be fine! Worth noting - during my own journey, I met a fellow pilgrim who was your age and in way better shape than I was (I was in my late 20s and thought I was in good shape). We walked the same distance most days and saw each other in the refugio. But in the mornings he would always get up earlier than everyone in the refugio and would arrive to the next refugio several hours ahead of me...in fact by the time I arrived, he would usually have already showered, lunched, and napped! He was an inspiration - as I am sure you will be! Anyway, isn't 70 the new 40? :) Good Luck!

Just one thing to bear in mind when planning your daily stages, some of the municipal albergues will not take pilgrims who have walked less than 20km. This should not be a problem as there are other, private albergues to head for that don't have this rule. You can even phone ahead and reserve beds in the private albergues.
Galicia is very pretty - almost like walking through Yorkshire with its dry stone walls, patchwork fields and forests. Its also hilly (no mountains between Sarria and Santiago) but quite undulating so you'll be traipsing up hills and down dales. There are many dairy farms so besides the sweet smell of spring flowers and Eucalyptus, you'll also have the sickly sweet aroma of cow shit most of the way!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are definitely doing the Camino but the usual questions arise. Do you just start the walk a a place of your choosing (I thought Sarria) and head off or is there a registration thing necessary. Do you need to book accomadation or is it OK to turn up.
What about maps and the physical route where will I get that information? any help would be appreciated

Des & Beryl

Des and Beryl

You can start wherever you like.

If you are looking to stay in refugios/albergues or wanting to obtain a compostela you will need to get a credential (generally from the albergue or church where you start) or pilgrim passport (the same thing but issued by the confraternity of your home country). These documents are stamped at the albergues (and many other places) and show the officials in the pilgrim office in Santiago that you have walked the Camino.

If you are staying at albergues you cannot book. If you are staying in hostales or hotels then you can book ahead though whether it is necessary or not depends on when you are walking. Easter and Mid Simmer are the busiest times.

If you are starting from Sarria the route is well signposted so maps are not necessary but there are many guidebooks and all you need to do is search this site for many recommendations.

There is a chain of private albergues where you can book ahead - and have your luggage carried to them - but you still need a 'credencial' to stay there. You can pick up one of their leaflets in most albergues or download one from their website.
http://www.redalberguessantiago.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there.... is it true that you HAVE to walk 20 k a day to stay at the alberques??? I was planning a much slower camino.... will I have trouble finding a cheap place to lay my head????

sillydoll said:
Just one thing to bear in mind when planning your daily stages, some of the municipal albergues will not take pilgrims who have walked less than 20km. This should not be a problem as there are other, private albergues to head for that don't have this rule. You can even phone ahead and reserve beds in the private albergues.
Galicia is very pretty - almost like walking through Yorkshire with its dry stone walls, patchwork fields and forests. Its also hilly (no mountains between Sarria and Santiago) but quite undulating so you'll be traipsing up hills and down dales. There are many dairy farms so besides the sweet smell of spring flowers and Eucalyptus, you'll also have the sickly sweet aroma of cow shit most of the way!

Lorax, the original post was from a member who is planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago.
We had planned on stopping at Ferreiros after 14km but there was a sign on the door advising pilgrims that the albergue was for pilgrims who had walked from at least Triacastela and that those from Sarria should continue on to the next albergue - 10kms further. There was also a sign listing taxi numbers in case you were injured/ill/exhausted.
Generally the minimum 20km rule doesn't seem to apply anywhere else but there are the odd hospitaleros that check your credential and then tell you to move on because you haven't walked far enough. Some albergues only have space for a dozen or so pilgrims and prefer to keep the beds for those who have walked longer distances - especially if the next albergue is another 10km down the line.
Remember, this rule doesn't apply to the private albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.