• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

tvhorn said:
Hi Arlene! The photos on your blog make your training walks look beautiful. As a 58 year old woman who trained and ran a couple of marathons last year, one thing that I learned about is the importance of rest days. As we age our bodies can still do amazing things like marathons and caminos of 500 miles BUT they are slower to rebuild and recover than that of your endurance athlete son (who is probably in his twenties or thirties). Listen to your body and when it keeps nagging about fatigue or aches that don't go away, give it a day off. Cross training is good also whether biking, swimming or the elliptical machine. Jeff Galloway, who is in his 60ies and was an Olympian runner has written helpful books on training for marathons and walking. Good luck with the training. I will follow your blog eagerly.

Also, if the hiking boots don't suit you, consider that many folks walk the camino with suitable shoes such as good trail running shoes. I bought good hiking boots for an 80 mile walk in Scotland two years ago and they were comfortable BUT I ended up using my trail runners instead and never regretted the choice.

Buen camino, Teresa

Hi Teresa,
This will be my first Camino, in fact my first long hike anywhere, but I am a walker. I've been walking every day for about 5 years now, of course my walks only took me about 3.5 miles before - now they are much longer. But, yes I do agree with you about taking a day off if the body is aching. Thanks for recommending the book by Jeff Galloway, I'll definitely check it out. I do like my trail runners, thanks for the tip on that also.

I'm glad you will be following my blog, it's nice to have a fellow pilgrim interested. Yes right now the walks are beautiful. In a few months I will have to be training at 5:30 am because of the heat here in Arizona. I'm open to any comments or tips you may have. Again, thanks for the input.
Arlene

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just booked my flight from Melbourne to Leon. Arriving in Leon on 23rd May, hoping to finish the Camino before 5th of June when I am due to fly back via Toronto to visit my Mam and share my experience with her. I tried to coerce her to meet me at Santiago but she declined. Am starting at Leon as I do not have enough leave but hopefully will be able to do a complete one sometime. I need some advice about ' What next when I get to leon airport ? ' How do I get to the city Centre and finding a proper accomodation. And I am polishing my own walking stick (a sturdy branch from my Cherry Tree). I have read and spoken to a few people who did the Camino and actively reading the forum to get every tip I can get my hands on. I have watched "The Way" a few times as well. I so glad to be part of Class 2012.

lfnglcy said:
Just booked my flight from Melbourne to Leon. Arriving in Leon on 23rd May, hoping to finish the Camino before 5th of June when I am due to fly back via Toronto to visit my Mam and share my experience with her. I tried to coerce her to meet me at Santiago but she declined. Am starting at Leon as I do not have enough leave but hopefully will be able to do a complete one sometime. I need some advice about ' What next when I get to leon airport ? ' How do I get to the city Centre and finding a proper accomodation. And I am polishing my own walking stick (a sturdy branch from my Cherry Tree). I have read and spoken to a few people who did the Camino and actively reading the forum to get every tip I can get my hands on. I have watched "The Way" a few times as well. I so glad to be part of Class 2012.

The camino crosses the village "Virgen del Camino (24198) - 7km after Leon but only one mile from the airport. You can call "Tourime Office", Calle Concejo 1,
987 302 213, or send a mail "oficinadelavirgen@hotmail.com"
An another public service Municipality of Valverde de la Virgen (24391)
Camino de Santiago 110, 987,303,431,
http://www.aytovalverdedelavirgen.es,
info@aytovalverdedelavirgen.es
Shops, services
There is an Albergue with 20 beds and mattresses, night 3 € / p., Kitchen, bike storage, accessible from 12h-23h, it is open May to September. tel 676 472 125, or mail alberguevirgen@gmail.com.
There are many hotels around the airport.
But if you arrive early, you can even start the road as you exit plane. You have two choices to begin your camino :
- south by the Calzada de los Pergrinos (Causeway pilgrims), Fresno del Camino (Valverde de la Virgen); Oncina of Valdoncina (Valverde de la Virgen); Chozas de Abajo; Villar de Mazarife (Chozas de Abajo); Villavante (Santa Marina del Rey);
- My wife and I have walked in the north direction by Camino Real (Royal Road):
Valverde de la Virgen; San Miguel del Camino ; Urbanización Camino de Santiago (Villadangos del Páramo); Villadangos del Páramo;
From the airport to Villadangos del Páramo, the distance is less than 10 miles
http://maps.google.fr/maps?hl=fr&rl...a=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAg
Just at the entrance of Villadangos del Páramo, there is an albergue near the national road number 120
80 places. night 3 € Kitchen, open all year, acc. 11h-23h, carretera Leon Astorga (in a old schools), 987 390 003

good trip

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings from Los Angeles, California.
My name is Nicci, I've just hit my 40th year. Where did the time go? The first time I heard of the Camino I was 18 and backpacking through Europe for my third time. The French trains had gone on strike and I was stuck somewhere between Paris, where I had left some friends, and Vienna, where I was meeting my mom. In the dining car I met up with some rather dusty looking Danish women who had just finished their Camino and a couple of Italian guys who were on their way. By the time the train started moving again I had accepted an invitation to join the Italians. My mother had other plans.
Five years later some friends and I had purchased our tickets and were four months out from leaving. Six days later I folded my knee back 180 degrees and spent the next year and a half relearning how to walk.
Ten years later the Camino bug bit again and I was on my way. Five days before leaving I discovered the cold I had wasn't a cold it was mono, and again I was unable to go.
Over the years I thought about the Camino, but didn't plan again. I was under the impression the Camino might be telling me it wasn't interested in meeting me.

In 2011 I became a member of the Directors Guild of America and as such had the fortunate pleasure of seeing an early screening of The Way and afterwards being treated to a Q&A with Emilio Estevez. Who knew the Camino was still the lurking in my psyche?

So, here I go again. I'm planning on leaving LA around the 12th of April,spending a few days in Paris with friends to get over my jet lag, and then hitting the Camino on or around the 16th of April. Due to the knee injury I'm planning on taking 2 months to do it. I'm hoping to finish, but if the knee says no, I'll finish another year.

[quot

I alsoimportance of rest days. As we age our bodies can still do amazing things like marathons and caminos of 500 miles BUT they are slower to rebuild and recover than that of your endurance athlete son (who is probably in his twenties or thirties). Listen to your body and when it keeps nagging about fatigue or aches that don't go away, give it a day off.

Buen camino, Teresa[/quote]

Hi everybody,

From experience I can say that if you get exhausted,or before you reach that stage, a day of rest to allow you muscles to regenerate themselveswill put new life into you. like 'a tiger in your tank'

Buen Camino to you all,

Lydia

Arlene,

Thanks for the kind words. There are many people out here who are real veterans of the camino, having walked it several times and they are the ones who can give the best advice. What I have heard them say time and time again is that different things work for different people. Some swear by hiking boots, others swear by running shoes. The trick is that you have to find out what works best for you. For me, I have not quite made up my mind yet but with all of the snow and mud up here in Canada right now, the boots have taken over for now.

The strongest argument for boots in August/September would be for the extra support that they would provide over rocky terrain. But running shoes are lighter and more comfortable. So you need to experiment. It sounds like your training is going well. I would suggest that you get a backpack, put a bit of weight in it, and start getting used to carrying it - then gradually increase the weight. (By the way, I still call them backpacks - not rucksacks).

My reason for going in September is that the temperatures are a bit cooler (although still in the 80's and above most days), the biggest crowds are gone (so less of a getting up and walking in the dark in order to secure a bed for the next day), and the crops are beginning to ripen and be harvested.

I checked your blog and the pictures from where you live are amazing. I think we all take for granted the areas that we live in.

Tim
http://www.timscamino@blogspot.com

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a Kiwi living in Hong Kong and will be joining a friend from NZ at St Jean at the end of August. It will be my first Camino and I'm very excited about it!

I have 2 young children (4 & 2) so don't want to be away from them for too long, hence I'll only be walking for 7 days this time, but plan to come back in stages and do what I can when the time is right.

The tips about footwear that I've read so far are excellent and I'm planning on getting a pair of trail runners to try out now. I do a lot of hiking in Hong Kong so am no stranger to trails and hopefully my experience here will help along the way.

I understand the weather in September is starting to cool down, but just wondering how prepared I need to be in terms of carrying layers of clothing. I'm a big advocate for 'Icebreaker' merino wear and I'm figuring that as long as I include some different thickness layers I should have the weather front covered. Appreciate any advise from past pilgrams on keeping clothing to a minimum, whilst ensuring you're well prepared.

Also if anyone from Hong Kong can recommend where to buy gear. I've found a store called Racing The Planet which I think might be the best equipped here.

I'm very eager to learn from those that have already travelled the great road!

Pauleen

hongkie said:
I'm a big advocate for 'Icebreaker' merino wear and I'm figuring that as long as I include some different thickness layers I should have the weather front covered. Pauleen

Me too! In September I'd take a base layer (which is generally always with me anyway) one mid layer and a fleece for the evening and also for swapping layers. That's it.

Buen Camino

John

Hi Anacasha! "then hitting the Camino on or around the 16th of April. Due to the knee injury I'm planning on taking 2 months to do it. I'm hoping to finish, but if the knee says no, I'll finish another year."
That's the spirit! Take your time and enjoy the wonderful experience. Enjoy the scenery and, most important, the fellowship of fellow pilgrims! It doesn't matter how long it takes. I'm walking Salamanca to SdC in May on the Via de la Plata. Practise walking is difficult at the moment due to heavy snow, but I'll get there eventually. And I've put on 14 lbs. since I walked from Porto last year.
If your knee plays up, you can maybe use public transport for a bit of the trip. Don't worry - just enjoy!
Buen camino!
Stephen.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi anakasha/nicci

wow, with a history like that you absolutely have to take on the camino! good on you for persevering. you asked my dates in another thread - I will be well behind you leaving on 26 april but if you are aiming to take two months, then I may catch you up somewhere along the trail. I will look out for you.
good luck with your training - not long to go now so take care of that knee.

karen

By the way, I still call them backpacks - not rucksacks
Ruck comes from the German "ruchen" for back, so they mean the same thing. "Rucksack" just sounds a bit more rugged and Alpine. You could try for a common vocabulary with "knapsack" - a bag (as of canvas or nylon) strapped on the back and used for carrying supplies or personal belongings. (Merriam Webster) :wink:

Hi Everybody,

I am hoping to walk from Caceres to Santiago via the VDLP at the end of April. I completed the first bit of this journey from Seville to Caceres a couple of years ago and intend to do the remainder this year shortly after my 60th Birthday. I completed the nothern route from St John in 2005 and it was wonderful but I also love this route but for different reasons. I'm not sure if it is the same for everybody but I really enjoy the planning and training for the walk - for me it is an intregal part of the whole experience.

Buen Camin

Kim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kim, nicci, Pauleen...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

It's sometimes remarkable to me how folks learn of the Camino and, even though they can't begin right away, they come full circle and there they are...walking the Way.

Speaking of the movie "The Way"...it's clear that the movie has become a beacon for many folks making the decision to walk the Camino. I've mentioned before that this movie will have a similar effect on Americans (and others) that Hape Kerkeling's book Ich bin dann mal weg (I'm off for a bit, then)on the Camino did for the German population.

Please keep us informed of your plans and happenings as you walk the Way.

Buen Camino

Arn

Hi.

Jan here of the Philippines, residing in Singapore..and attending the class of 2012.

Leaving for the Camino on April Fools day.

I'm the clueless, probably under-dressed Asian 40 year old diabetic clyde on a touring folding bicycle you'll see on the Leon-Santiago stretch. I was a mountaineer when I was younger but in my present condition, a 20km bicycle ride makes me hypoglycemic. I do not take any medication, I just watch what I eat and do daily moderate walks.

I've been wanting to do the Camino since the advent of the internet in my country (it came late, around '98) but never really gave it serious thought.

I'm not particularly religious but I was in Lourdes last November 2011 and I felt...different. You can imagine the frustration when I was at the hotel room and playing around with Google earth when I realized that I was just at the other side of the Pyrenees. I told myself then to just let winter pass then do it. Not getting any younger.

Jan...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

Yes, when the Camino bug bites...you wonder where it came from and how long till the itch goes away.

However you travel along the Way it will be a journey filled with new experiences, new friends and, possibly, a better appreciation for things around you and how they interact.

Enjoy yourself and remain open to whatever the Camino brings.

Buen Camino

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone!

I will be starting my journey from St Jean in mid-April this year (2012). Can't wait to begin and meet my fellow pilgrims. It will be one heck of an adventure :D

I'm leaving Canada April 22 and will start my Camino April 24th, leaving SJPP and stay at Orisson that night!
I've been planning this for about a year and I can hardly believe it almost here :)
Thank you for this Forum it's been a wealth of information. Even though this is my first post I've found most of my questions answered just by reading.

Wizardbabs and FrancesK...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

As you've already found out, by reading other entries. we in the Forum have a special bond with both the Camino and each other.

There are plenty of other fine sources for solid and informative information on "all things" camino, but I believe we here on the Forum pass on our thoughts and experience in way that's both personable and, at times, very direct. We are a family, with all the emotions, foibles and opinions resident in any large family. The key difference is we don't have to cringe when we find out that "ol Uncle Arn" will make it to this year's reunion, after all.

Buen Camino

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Appropriate words for camino initiates from the frontispiece of Annie Proulx's novel Accordion Crimes, which I have just started:

Caminante, no hay camino,
Se hace camino al andar.

Traveler, there is no path,
Paths are made by walking.

Antonio Machado, from "Proverbios y cantares" in Campos de Castilla. 1912

Buen camino

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
Arlene,

Thanks for the kind words. There are many people out here who are real veterans of the camino, having walked it several times and they are the ones who can give the best advice. What I have heard them say time and time again is that different things work for different people. Some swear by hiking boots, others swear by running shoes. The trick is that you have to find out what works best for you. For me, I have not quite made up my mind yet but with all of the snow and mud up here in Canada right now, the boots have taken over for now.

The strongest argument for boots in August/September would be for the extra support that they would provide over rocky terrain. But running shoes are lighter and more comfortable. So you need to experiment. It sounds like your training is going well. I would suggest that you get a backpack, put a bit of weight in it, and start getting used to carrying it - then gradually increase the weight. (By the way, I still call them backpacks - not rucksacks).

My reason for going in September is that the temperatures are a bit cooler (although still in the 80's and above most days), the biggest crowds are gone (so less of a getting up and walking in the dark in order to secure a bed for the next day), and the crops are beginning to ripen and be harvested.

I checked your blog and the pictures from where you live are amazing. I think we all take for granted the areas that we live in.

Tim

Hi Tim,
After talking with the local hiking store guru, I've decided on my Salomon trail runners. They are very comfortable and sturdy. Anything over my ankles that is binding is not comfortable at all for me. So for me, footwear is set, I'll continue to train in the trail runners and before I go on the Camino I will purchase a new pair. Thankfully, they don't require any breaking in!

The hiking store is having a sale on March 17th and the guy told me to come back then for my backpack. He suggested bringing a list of items I will be carrying. After that I will be training with the backpack.

Now for the time of year........I will be walking alone and your recommendations for September seem very wise to me. I'm able to begin whenever, I just don't want to be in too much inclement weather. I guess I am spoiled by the desert southwest, the sun shines most of the time. All I have read so far seems to indicate that fall is pretty good weather.

Are you walking with a group or alone? Originally a friend had planned to walk with me, but has since gotten cold feet.

Hello,

I am planning to walk the Camino this year, 2012, beginning in late April. This will be my second time. In 1996 I walked from St Jean Pied de Port and expect to repeat the same route this year.

I am from the United States but have lived in Guadalajara, Mexico for the past four years. I am really looking forward to the trip. From the statistics, it looks like there are many more people on the Camino now than there were 15 years ago. The other big difference for me will be that in 1996 I knew only a few words of tourist Spanish. Now though still far from fluent, I am quite comfortable in Spanish. That is, if the Spanish speakers will tolerate my Mexican accent and vocabulary. :)

Best wishes,
Will

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Rita -
I'm starting from St Jean on May 11. Do let me know if you'll be there then:)
RitaRed said:
Planning to walk the camino frances in may 2012, anyone care to join me?
I'll be starting in St. Jean-Pied-du-Port.
Could use tips, I've never done anything like this before.

amourier said:
Are you walking with a group or alone? Originally a friend had planned to walk with me, but has since gotten cold feet.
I might see you as I'm setting out from SJPdP on 8th Sep but only going as far as Orisson that day. At 67 I don't want to rush the critical 1st day over the Pyrenees.

BlackDog said:
amourier said:
I might see you as I'm setting out from SJPdP on 8th Sep but only going as far as Orisson that day. At 67 I don't want to rush the critical 1st day over the Pyrenees.

Hi, don't know how far I will make it my first day either - I agree with you on not rushing the Pyrenees days, I'll be 64 by the time September rolls around. The fact that I'll be alone makes it easier for me to start and stop when I wish.

Are you walking alone or with someone? I ask because I am curious if most walk the Camino with a companion or alone. Actually my thought is that it probably will be a spiritual experience in once sense or another.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and haven't been a lurker for too long, as I only heard about Santiago Compostela on the 30th Jan, since then I have thought of nothing else... but I do feel I need to introduce myself quickly so I don't get cold feet...This thread has made me feel a little out of my depth, there are so many experienced camino walkers/travellers/bi-linguists on here, it puts me to shame... I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience, why oh why do I feel so driven to do this, I've never felt so sure about something in my whole life???

I plan to walk the Camino France in July 2012. The aim is to get a ferry from Portsmouth in the UK to St. Malo then a train to Bayonne then on to SJPP by train / bus where i start my walk, depending on timings/ days left I may go on to Finisterre. I have no idea where I am going to stay yet, I'm on a limited budget and the return journey from Santiago to St. Malo hasn't been looked into yet...

I have managed to book 42 days from work. July/August will be the hottest and busiest months, but it will have the least inpact at home & work and the crowds may be to my advantage as I've never travelled alone before. My Brierley arrived today and I broke the news to my family my plans... hubby is not so lucky with getting time off work and may meet up with me to do the last week, can anyone recommend a good place to meet up? I know he has to walk at least 100km but we will need a prominent place on the camino France path that doesn't take me out of my way but puts him within the 100km and within his weeks time frame any ideas???

I'm not very fit, but I have done two sponsored walks a few years ago, (11 mile and 13 mile and only stopped because I had small children with me) I coast walk on holiday, can regularly ( and will frequently now) walk an hour to work, so am not a complete novice... i know this is no way like having to walk 17 miles a day every day but its a start....still don't know why I have to do it... just know I have to!!!

If anyone can see a flaw in the plans so far, please let me know.... if you are going at that time, I'd love to meet up, I need all the company I can get and if you have any advice, I'll listen to it all... thanks for reading!!!
:D

JAMC said:
there are so many experienced camino walkers/travellers/bi-linguists on here, it puts me to shame... I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience...

I'm not very fit... :D
Hi JAMC!

You will be in very, very good company! Not many people I met were regular walkers. Conversation in the evening is unlikely to be around the technicalities of walking poles and boots etc, believe me!

OK, I had the advantage of speaking a bit of Spanish, but also the disadvantage of smoking 20 a day and coughing like a hag. :shock: We all bring something to the groups that we form. Nobody starves. Nobody sleeps in the gutter. Everybody laughs and experiences something amazing... Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
JAMC said:
there are so many experienced camino walkers/travellers/bi-linguists on here, it puts me to shame... I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience...

I'm not very fit... :D
Hi JAMC!

You will be in very, very good company! Not many people I met were regular walkers. Conversation in the evening is unlikely to be around the technicalities of walking poles and boots etc, believe me!

OK, I had the advantage of speaking a bit of Spanish, but also the disadvantage of smoking 20 a day and coughing like a hag. :shock: We all bring something to the groups that we form. Nobody starves. Nobody sleeps in the gutter. Everybody laughs and experiences something amazing... Buen Camino!

Well I don't smoke, I do laugh a lot but not when I have an empty tummy and its good to know I won't have to sleep in the gutter... its looking better and better! Every time I have a few doubts I just jump back on here and read something positive... if I don't do it now I will put it off and never do it... I'm so looking forward to it and the freezing temperatures of the UK at the moment is making me long for the August heat too ... although I may regret that last sentence :roll:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
JAMC said:
..the freezing temperatures of the UK at the moment is making me long for the August heat too ... although I may regret that last sentence :roll:
The siesta exists for a reason. :D
Buen Camino!

Amourier,

I am going alone as well. There will be lots of people there and as you continue along the trail, more and more people will join in. Although there are no guarentees, a lady from London, Ontario, walked the Camino this past September and had 33 days without any rain! I am sure that is extremely rare but September is typically not a rainly month. Although I do not have my flight booked yet, I am leaning not to start on a Sunday.

Tim

Hi RegNatarajan,
April/May nice time to walk whatever time you have.
Have you decided what section you are thinking of?
Buen Camino.
Col

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Class of 2012 . . . From chicago!

Dan from Chicago. I plan to start my camino grom SJPP on September 15. Hope to also go all the way to Finisterre. I have a flight home on October 24 from Paris. Can't wait.

My name is Donna and I just learned about the Camino de Santiago in the last week. Yes from watching the movie. I have never been to Europe. I certainly enjoy a 5 star hotel for the comfort. However what I really want to do is meet people from around the world. I found as a typical tourist in places I have gone to that I haven't experienced those connections. I would like to walk with my family and my kids range from 11 to 25. My oldest is very excited about the trip as he has traveled abroad several times. My youngest would like to meet me near the end of the journey. I do have a disability so I am going to work out in the pool and build up from short to long hikes with a backpack. I look forward to spending time with my children and seeing France and Spain from a different view than most Americans see it from.

Hi Donna!

That sounds like an amazing trip and a wonderful shared memory. Good luck with your preparations! Buen Camino!

Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all. My name is Douglas. I am from Boston (USA) and I will be making my second attempt at the Camino starting in late May. In 2009 I set out on the Tunnel Route from Irun, but was poorly prepared and injured myself, making it only as far as Tolosa. This year I'll be setting out on the Camino Frances starting in St Jean Pied de Port, and taking it a bit easier on myself than last time.
Looking forward to meeting you along the way.

Douglas, Donna, Dan, Reg, JAMC, Arlene, Renaissancerebecca, TundraGreen...Welcome to The Forum and the Class of 2012!

As you have already found out...the Forum has many resident experts on all things Camino...Tyrrek, Col and Tim among that number. As you read and reread their comments and those of others...you will, no doubt, find that while they have solid info on how to have both a successful, or not so successful first attempt on Camino...it's from their experience we benefit. In the final analysis the Way leaves it's own lasting mark.

Please continue to ask questions, share new, or different information you come across and keep us in the picture as you approach, complete and return home from your Camino.

Buen Camino

Arn

Well, If all goes well, I will be walking the camino in May. I do not have a travel partner, but hopefully I will meet people along the way. I saw a picture of a rolling tote/cart that some people use instead of a backpack...i need this due to I am a nurse and I do not want to re-injure my back after finally getting it back to normal from physical therapy a few years back. If anyone knows where to buy one...front rolling would be best...please let me know.

I am funny, I love adventure and cannot wait to walk this. I have been looking into supplies. This will be my first walk on the camino...though i have hiked when I was in the Army with 60 lbs of gear for miles and miles several times , so im guessing I can do this also...lol.

Attachments

• me1.jpg
    me1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,098
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would suggest that you use a baggage service to transport your backpack from each lodging place. I think you will find the carts expensive and inconvenient. Many pilgrims use a baggage service, so it is readily available at about 5E per stage.

Hi friends,

Right now I am in a process of hibernation with the winter in my native land, Bulgaria.

25th I will take the train or the bus to Bratislava, Slovakia (bought my ticket from there by chance),and wait for a flight to Stansted the 27th,and from there to France the following day.

I am landing in Biarritz, the 28th of March around 15:00. I guess I can make it to St Jean with the train from Bayonne, and be there for the evening of the 28th.
Obtain the credential the following morning from the little office, not that this document is crucially important for the whole mental and spiritual experience, but I suppose it would be a nice thing and memory to keep.

So I hope I can enter the magical and mysterious paths of the Camino the morning of 29th of march. I have a ticket for the 6th of May from Compostela. But I think will be heading to Cape Finisterre and the ocean,I see it as somehting that should be done and experienced. It will fulfil the long walk completely.

Why I am doin' it? well in fact I lived in Spain one year until 2 months ago, but didnt think for the Camino. I mean I knew it, I liked it but it looked as sometin quite distant and romantic, a real dream, but in its reality an almost utopian dream, the ones you sometimes dont see how they could happen...

I knew it from articles, i saw the movie as well, i think it was a good job as it showed the camino from a different perspective as any example should be.

at the end i read the book of paolo Coelho "The Pilgrimage" and to tell you the truth i enjoyed it. And I see the beauty of this mistic way exactly in the uniqness of the experience of any soul.

in the 3rd of january,2012 i just had an instant thought , that now is the time to do it.

And dear friends this whole thing feels like a purification and entering different universe, almost medieval! it feels good.

I wish you good luck and buen camino,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Obtain the credential the following morning from the little office, not that this document is crucially important
It is crucially important if you want to stay in most albergues! If you are staying in hostales and hotels, you don't need it.

Hello all.

My name is Mark and I'm from Cork in Ireland. Like so many others, I was made aware of the Camino by the movie The Way. I saw it in a cinema here last summer, and was utterly seduced by it. I know it was a fictional account and therefore shouldn't be treated as 100% faithful to the experience, but I'm willing to believe the spirit is true and that's the important part for me. If I could have, I would have jumped on a flight the next day and started walking the day after, but life is seldom that simple!

So, I made do with doing some online research, satisfied myself that the Camino was indeed for me, and pledged that if my life circumstances were compatible that I would do it this summer. With my life just about co-operating, I booked my flights last week and got my pilgrim passport in the post this very day from The Irish Society of the Friends of St James, so it's official - I will definitely be doing the Camino this summer, and I can't wait!

My plan is to do the full Camino Frances, starting from St Jean, and I'll be flying out a few days after my 38th birthday, on May 20. I'll be flying in to Biarritz on that Sunday afternoon, and while I would ideally get a taxi to Bayonne and a train to St Jean from there, the train timetable looks quite limited, with a 9pm-ish train the only option for me on that day. I'd like to get to St Jean earlier, so I may end up biting the bullet and getting a taxi there from Biarritz Airport. I'd rather not go to that expense, but I kinda feel like I'll be getting to St Jean a bit on the late side if I wait for the train from Bayonne.

My original plan was to start around May 28/29 and walk on into early July, but a family circumstance demands I be back in Ireland before the end of June, so I booked my departure for a week earlier and my flight back home from Compostela for June 28, which gives me 38 days, excluding arrival and departure. Ideally, I would've wanted to walk on to Finisterre, but I suspect I'll run out of days on this occasion.

I hope 38 days will be enough for me to get to Compostela without having to skip any stages. I know it can be done in a month, but my fitness levels remain to be seen. I'm carrying a few pounds more than nature intended, but fingers crossed will drop a stone or so before flying out. I've been steering clear of alcohol since January 1, which, some of you may understand, is a significant sacrifice for an Irishman! It's a temporary measure, but it gives me a nice jumpstart to the 2012 health/fitness drive.

I haven't really been much of a hill-walker or hiker, but one advantage I think I have is that I am definitely one of life's walkers. On any given day, I likely walk for at least two hours or so, not all in one stretch, but I still think that offers me a solid base to work with.

With a little bit of Camino training in mind, I did a hike on New Year's Eve, up Mount Brandon in County Kerry. It was quite steep, and probably gave me a taste (no more than that, I'd guess) of what to expect on the first day in the Pyrenees. The weather in Kerry was absolutely filthy on the day, freezing and wet, so I doubt that will be replicated! I did that hike with a group of experienced walkers and took a lot of reassurance from the fact that most of them seemed to find the going tougher than I did. That said, I know it'll be in my interests to improve my fitness over the next few months.

I will be starting the Camino on my own, but look forward to meeting many interesting people on the way. I'm also learning Spanish, and am reasonably confident that by May I'll be both able to understand and make myself understood. I think having as much Spanish as possible will add to the experience. I may or may not use it much while walking, but I'm guessing it will come in very handy in the villages and towns en route.

Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.
Mark2012 said:
...but I'm willing to believe the spirit is true...
Yes it is.
I think you should find 38 days OK if you haven't done so you can visit http://www.godesalco.com/plan and do some stage planning to give you a idea of your options.
Buen Camino.
Col

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
colinPeter said:
Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.
Mark2012 said:
...but I'm willing to believe the spirit is true...
Yes it is.
I think you should find 38 days OK if you haven't done so you can visit http://www.godesalco.com/plan and do some stage planning to give you a idea of your options.
Buen Camino.
Col

Hi Col. Thanks very much for the welcome and that link. That will come in handy!

Planning my first Camino around May 1st. 63-year old female. Concerned about weather, terrain, and carrying too much weight. American. Must re-learn Spanish. Obsessed, determined, frightened. Excited!

Toobizy said:
Planning my first Camino around May 1st. 63-year old female. Concerned about weather, terrain, and carrying too much weight. American. Must re-learn Spanish. Obsessed, determined, frightened. Excited!

Yup, sounds about right. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Toobizy said:

Hi Toobizy, I am also 63 years old. I am planning my Camino for the month of September. My research has shown that September tends to be a good month - the summer heat and crowds are gone and the weather is not too terribly rainy (at least that is what statistics show). May is also a great month for the Camino, not too hot or rainy either.

Every emotion you write of, I am experiencing also! Check out the packing lists here on the forum for advice on what to carry, I have found it very helpful.

Good luck with your Camino.

Toobizy said:
Hi Tina.

It's great, isn't it? What can we do about the weather and the terrain? Nada! So the only thing that you have to worry about is the packing! You even speak Spanish, and can re-learn along the Way. You know what a 'cafe con leche' is, don't you? If so, you're ready to go! :D

Buen Camino!

Keith

Hi, my name is CatherineAnn and I have wanted to walk the Camino for the past six years after reading Shirley Maclaine's book. I had a friend walk part of the Camino two years ago, invite me to go, and the timing wasn't right. In December I started feeling a magnetic pull that can no longer be ignored! My sister and I are starting in Leon around the middle of June and because we are overweight and rather old (not by camino standards though :D ) we will be taking our time to Santiago.

I started training in January and have increased from 4 miles being difficult, to now walking around 20 miles a week easily. After trying on six different brands, I have a pair of Merrill boots that fit really well. I had a regular pair of SmartWool socks that were working well but I really was cinching up my boots too tightly. I got new SmartWool socks that on the label say to prevent blisters and they work so well. I have walked in snow, wind, and sun. I am blessed to have a perfect place to train with miles of barked paths at the base of the Rocky Mountains only a half mile from where I live.

I got my patch and will sew it on my pack and look for forum members along the way. I want to thank everyone for all the information they pass on and I love the videos you all have shared.

CatherineAnn :arrow:

Attachments

• DimpleDellSmall.jpg
    DimpleDellSmall.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 1,830
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi CatherineAnn!

You sound very well organised and preparing well. You'll love it!

Buen Camino!

Hi Mark,

You will not meet anything worse than Brandon on the Camino. I did it the last Sunday of April 1971, having done Carrauntoohill the previous day. I will never forget it.! We walked along the top of a long shoulder to another peak, just to think about it still gives me nightmares !! I had joined Án Oige the previous week. It was a baptism of fire.

You are very wise to be learning Spanish. I have found it so useful and also it enriches the whole experience being able to chat to Spanish pilgrims and local people.

Buen Camino.

Lydia

Hello all. My grandson and I will be starting the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port on Sunday May 13th. After three days in Paris. I have walked the Camino Frances in 1999 and 2006. This Camino Walk we are celebrating my Grandson's HS graduation and my turing 70. I have a question about shipping luggage. Does any one know the most economical way to ship a piece of luggage between St Jean Pied de Port, France and to your hotel in Santiago de Compostela? Thanks for the help. John from Kentucky

CatherineAnn said:
My sister and I are starting in Leon around the middle of June and because we are overweight and rather old (not by camino standards though :D ) we will be taking our time to Santiago.

I got my patch and will sew it on my pack and look for forum members along the way.

CatherineAnn :arrow:

Hi CatherineAnn,
I am planning to walk the Camino in September - since both you and I are from the Southwest, can you share your flight plans? I've been looking at many possibilities and still am confused. It was suggested that I fly into to London, then get a one way flight via Ryanair to Biarritz. Walk the Camino then get another one way flight from Santiago, again on Ryanair back to London to catch my return flight to Tucson, Arizona. I'm interested to hear your "getting there" plans.
Thanks for your input.

Hi All!

I'm off for a relatively short walk on 8th March from Pamplona to Burgos. I ordered my forum badge at the weekend so I hope to meet some of you!

Buen Camino!

Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Mark,

You will not meet anything worse than Brandon on the Camino. I did it the last Sunday of April 1971, having done Carrauntoohill the previous day. I will never forget it.! We walked along the top of a long shoulder to another peak, just to think about it still gives me nightmares !! I had joined Án Oige the previous week. It was a baptism of fire.

You are very wise to be learning Spanish. I have found it so useful and also it enriches the whole experience being able to chat to Spanish pilgrims and local people.

Buen Camino.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I was delighted to read your post. It is very reassuring to hear that hiking up Brandon was good training. The prospect of taking on the uphill stretch from St Jean to Roncesvalles has been making me a little nervous, but less so after reading what you wrote. That said, I've been thinking it might be wise split that into two days, despite my relatively narrow time window. I feel it could be foolhardy to take on 28kms on the first day, particularly given the incline. I'm thinking of looking to stay in Orisson that first night, but part of me want to take the whole thing on in one go!

And yes, I really think it's important to cultivate a reasonable level of Spanish. I really feel like it will do exactly as you said, add to the experience. It's funny. I haven't actively tried to learn a language since my schooldays. It feels like much less of a chore now than it did back in those days!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, My name is Virginia. I walked the Camino Frances May/ June 2012 with a friend. At the time I started the longest I had walked was about 5 miles. Took 54 days and loved every rainy, hot, foggy,dusty one of them. This time I'm walking alone, and starting in SJPP, on April 27, instead of Roncesvalles. I will be meeting my son in Ponferrada on May 27 and we will then walk to Santiago.Somehow as many of you know it all works out. For those of you from the southwest, I'm from El Paso, Tx , hope to see someone from this forum on the WAY.

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I plan to start the camino in early June. I have all summer to walk. I am extremely excited and glad to be on the adventure. Planning and thinking about a trip is half the fun for me. I look forward to meeting fellow travelers along the way. Leslie

Hi,
I'm arriving by air to Biarritz on 07 May to cycle to Santiago. I've walked twice from Sarria. Should I leave the bike boxed and get to Saint Jean by train, or assemble the bike and cycle from the Airport. Also, I'd like to know what kind of weather I can expect along the route in early May. Keep an eye out for me... I'll be on a black Surly Long Haul Trucker and expect to camp out from time to time... I've used all my money on the airfare.

Buen Camino

Mick

emilene said:
Hi Debby! I will also celebrate my 50th birthday in 2012 and plan to walk either in June or July of that year. The Camino truly casts a spell on one and I can't wait either! Good luck with all your planning!

:)

Hi Emilene and Debby!

I'm also planning to walk the camino to celebrate my 50th birthday. I'm hoping to do part of el camino Norte and then the camino primitive, starting May 1 or May 2, 2012. Is anyone else in this forum interested in walking the Norte or or primitivo?

Thanks,
Justine

Hi everyone

I will be walking the Camino at the end of June 2012. Will be starting in St Jean, can't wait to get started. Good luck everyone.....

Mark

Hello, fellow pilgrims! My husband (Chuck) and I are planning to start the Camino Frances in September 2012. We have not decided on a specific start date yet, and may backtrack from when we can book a spot (or two) at Orisson. We hope to visit some of my French cousins first, in Nantes and then in the Lourdes vicinity, then make our way to St. Jean. Fortunately, we are reasonably experienced backpackers ;-) (although one can never get enough experience, so we try to keep practicing), so perhaps we'll be able to contribute positively to the equipment discussion...it helps that we live in California, close to many, many wild places to walk.

He is 62, I'm 55; we'll celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary this April, and we need to get out on a long walk together. We have seen The Way and loved it, but our initial inspiration for walking El Camino was a guidebook handed to us by our parish priest who'd used it on his 1980s-era Camino. The Camino feels like a different experience, more intentional, somehow, than do our long trails in the States. We have hiked about 1600 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail, a few miles on the Appalachian Trail, and many more miles elsewhere dispersed through many weekend trips.

I look forward to meeting you in this forum and along the Camino!

Christine K

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
amourier said:
've been looking at many possibilities and still am confused. It was suggested that I fly into to London, then get a one way flight via Ryanair to Biarritz. Walk the Camino then get another one way flight from Santiago, again on Ryanair back to London to catch my return flight to Tucson, Arizona.
For information there are regular coach shuttles between Heathrow and Stansted airports. Cost is about £25 each way and takes between 1hr 20min and 1hr 45min.

Hello...John, Christine & Chuck, Mark, Mark2012, Justine, Mick, Leslie, Virginia and Amourier...Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

As many of you know, the Forum is experiencing a record number of "hits" these last few months and you are now on the crest of the wave that is coming to the Camino this year. There are many influences as to the "why" pilgrims walk the Way: some religious, spiritual or travel. If you are included among any of those broad categories I, and I'm sure others on the Forum, would be interested in how Your Camino changed that original focus.

If the original reason was religious...did the Camino deepen your belief?

If spiritual...did you feel uplifted and more in touch with yourself and/or your surroundings?

If travel, did you get what you expected...or more?

Please keep us informed as you walk along the Way.

If you are starting out and looking forward to meeting other Forum members...check out the Camino De Santiago Calendar at the bottom of the page, or if within three days...consider entering a short note at the "1...2...3...Camino!" thread.

Buen Camino

Arn

Greetings from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. I am planning to walk the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela and hopefully on to Finisterre. I hope to start in early October. My original plans were to start in late March and be on the way during Holy Week, but, alas, work has not cooperated. My gear is all ready to go and my heart is yearning, so it will be a difficult wait for Fall.

The seed for my Camino was planted during a night train ride from Madrid to Paris five summers ago. I shared a sleeper car with a Dutchman who had just come off Camino and he shared a little of his experience. Clearly the Camino had moved him. The seed had been dormant for quite a while until I reached this year of my 50th birthday. I was trying to think of something suitably adventurous and spiritual and the Camino desire sprang back into life. Since then so many things have been pointing the way for me to go.

It has been a real pleasure to find the online Camino community to be so vibrant and helpful. I hope to use this time of waiting to better prepare now. My 20 year old "Southern California Street Spanish" could really use some help!

Tjz,

Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I would offer that, when we think back, there's a specific moment when we're struck with an unquenchable "need" to get on line and buy our tickets and solidify our plan to either walk the Way the first time, or return to the Camino.

As with many of us, that first tug by the Camino, although strong, is put aside until outside considerations are weighed in...then, we buy our tickets.

Please continue to keep the Forum apprised of your movement toward Santiago.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi! I am walking the walk from SJPP to Santiago and maybe beyond by myself :shock: May 9th, or with a friend in early September. Excited is an understatement !!! I just can't wait. I am finding it hard to drag myself away from this forum......... thanks to everyone for posting! I am from B.C. and have never even been to Europe in my 51 years !!! Not sure if I am going to want to come home ! ................anyways, a huge happy hello to everyone ........... Heather :)

Things are coming together quickly...

I leave Connecticut on May 10 , get to Paris on May 11, train to Bayonne that same day, stay in Bayonne the night of the 11th and walk to Orisson on the 12th. From there it is all up to the Camino and my feet.

I will be 63 in May 2012. I've been asked why I am doing this. I can't answer except to say that I know I want to...

Hope to see many of you then.

Buen Camino

Alan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
icjustine said:
Is anyone else in this forum interested in walking the Norte or or primitivo?

Justine: I'm going to be walking the Camino Primitivo, and on to Santiago, at the start of April. I'll try to report back on anything that it might be useful to know before you set off.

breakintheclouds said:
Justine: I'm going to be walking the Camino Primitivo, and on to Santiago, at the start of April. I'll try to report back on anything that it might be useful to know before you set off.
We'd be interested in you report back too, especially the area around Lastres (which was very wet over stones uphill due to a broken watercourse in 2009). Also any new bars/cafes or recent closures, especially if you are using the CSJ guide, as we'll be on the Primitivo too but some time after you.

Justine:- The Norte and Primitivo are a great combination, Terry walked it in 2009. You'll find quite a bit of info if you search his posts (TerryB) and blog
Buen Camino Primitivo to you both
TerryB (Tio Tel) and Tia Valeria

Toobizy said:
I wish you all the best! I am 63, arrive Paris 6.30 pm.Junenb 3rd....to walk from St Jean.....Margaret(Irish)

€46,-
adesmar123 said:

I leave Connecticut on May 10 , get to Paris on May 11, train to Bayonne that same day, stay in Bayonne the night of the 11th and walk to Orisson on the 12th. From there it is all up to the Camino and my feet.

I will be 63 in May 2012. I've been asked why I am doing this. I can't answer except to say that I know I want to...

Buen Camino

Alan
good for you.......I am 63 and will walk in June! Margaret(Irish)

Hi Heather and Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

I start from St.Jean on May 8th. I stopping in Orisson. I am a slow walker so you will catch up with me somewhere before Pamplona. Hope we do get saying hello.

Buen Camino

Lydia

margaretxyz said:
adesmar123 said:

Buen Camino

Alan
good for you.......I am 63 and will walk in June! Margaret(Irish)

Good for all of us - I, too am 63 and plan to walk beginning September this year - By the way, I'll be 64 by then. Being in the 60's rocks!!!! Walk on!

Hello to all of you,

A Finn planning to walk from Le Puy to Santiago, starting in October.

Have had dreams of doing a long haul bike tour/walking long distances and somehow everything started driving the energy towards the Camino, really looking forward to it as the most important experience in life so far and one the most important in all those years to come.

Happy days to all you of you, be it on the road or at home, raining or sunny - just remember to smile.

Nicodemus

[quote="Arn" There are many influences as to the "why" pilgrims walk the Way: some religious, spiritual or travel. If you are included among any of those broad categories I, and I'm sure others on the Forum, would be interested in how Your Camino changed that original focus.

If spiritual...did you feel uplifted and more in touch with yourself and/or your surroundings?

Buen Camino

Arn[/quote]

I leave two weeks from tomorrow to go to Spain for my Camino. Feeling stressed now for the first time. Seems like so many things still to do. I have my shoes, socks, back-pack, sleeping bag. Still working on clothes and other details. So much good info on this forum.

I honestly feel like I don't know what to expect. I do know why I made the choice to walk, and how the final decision came about. I think I fall into your spiritual category, as that is a core reason for me, and I am not religious and I travel constantly in my normal life already.

I'm curious to see how it all goes. Feel open. What I do know is regardless of how the rest of my planning goes, I will be in a seat on a plane two weeks from tomorrow. Heading for something I have not experienced yet.

Dear Colleagues,

At last I’ve bought my flight from Helsinki, Finland to Madrid, Spain and back I supposed to arrive to Madrid on April 29 and I plan to get Saint Jean Pied De Port on the next day. That means I shall be able to start my Camino on May 1 early morning marching from Rue de Citadel of SJPD to Roncesvalles. So, see somebody of you in May.

Buen Camino! Oleg

sandygale said:
Dear Oleg
We will be starting in SJPP on 1st May so we may run in to you - take care
Sandy and Paul

Dear Sandy and Paul,

I’m already marching in my sleep. It will be nice to meet you.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Hi all!

I booked my flights for the camino about 3 months ago, I'm from Ireland and this is my first time doing something abroad, completely alone. I'm leaving behind my boyfriend as he needs to work to pay for college. I'm arriving in SJPP on the 14th of May so I can't wait to get started, it's going to be great! I was wondering if there was anyone else starting their camino the 15th? Also, keeping in touch with loved ones on the camino, is it difficult?

Thanks! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm 64 and live in Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

I had previously planned to visit my daughter and son-in-law in Bologna this year. I love northern Italy and was looking forward to the visit. However, after seeing the movie, "The Way", I was inspired to ask them if they wanted to join me in a pilgrim walk. They both jumped upon the idea.

This will be my first Camino. We plan to walk from Leon to Santiago the first couple of weeks in May, 2012.

Hi, I'm Beth from the Pacific Northwest, heading back to the Camino Portugues in April after having walked the Camino Frances last October from Roncesvalles to Leon. I plan to start from Porto around the 13th (yes, Friday the 13th!). Fingers crossed for good weather, but I do have an Altus somewhere--I lent it to another pilgrim when I left Leon. I hope it makes its way back to me before I hit Galicia :D

I am going alone this time with the intention to do walking meditation. On my first camino I fell in with a group of lovely, but very raucous peregrinos. I remember bean feasts, jolly wine-induced laughter, and torrents of evening tears, like in "The Way" but more so. This camino I intend to take time to speak with some quieter pilgrims and see what blessings that brings my way (and skip the 3rd glass of wine). I find that I have more trepidation this time for a variety of reasons, but I also find that I have more faith in those who have gone before me and those who await me.

Hello past pilgrims , i am looking for some advise , i am thinking of taking my son for a dad son trip on the comino , we have 16 days and we would be flying intp paris from south africa. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should start the walk from , or any other information that could help ,many thanks
lee cape town :

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
My name is Lauren, twenty-one years old from Dublin, Ireland.
I've long harboured hopes to walk the Camino and have decided come May 2012 I will start my journey. I've decided to extend my walk over three months with a hope to finding temporary voluntary work along the way - helping out in albuergues, farmwork etc anything I can put my hands to really in exchange for a bed, some food and a couple of days stay.
I was wondering if anyone had any information regards voluntary work along the Camino at any place between St Jean and Santiago? To those walking the Camino Frances around this time, I am doing the walk alone but would love to meet with many pilgrims along the way!

Pilgrimage in SEPT ~woooo hooooo~

Hi everyone!

My name is Becca. My boyfriend, Ed (59 y/o) and I (56 y/o) are going on pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago beginning the hike in St Jean Pied de Port ending in Santiago. I'm a lifelong outdoors person from the mountains - he's a streets of NY person and we both live in FL now. I've been teaching him how to hike, camp etc. He's absolutely fabulous. He will do anything and go anywhere.

We saw the movie The Way and he said - let's do that. So we are! I'm SO excited! Our plan is to fly to Madrid,take the train to San Sebastian (I've read it is supposed to be beautiful to take the train over the mountains) and the direct train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port! We leave 30 August. To my boyfriend, it is a hike with a goal of traveling x-miles/day. I'm a very spiritual being and being outdoors has always been the way with which I commune with God so to me it will definitely be a pilgrimage. Plus I have the southern "slow down" thing going on ~smile~ We will arrive Madrid 30 / 31 AUG and travel the Camino de Santiago through the entire month of September and early October. Returning home around 4 / 5 October.

I ordered credentials and patches for both of us so we have something at which to look whilst we plan!

Now if I can only teach my boyfriend how to be an ultralight packer ...

Re: Pilgrimage in SEPT ~woooo hooooo~

meanderingby said:
Hi everyone!
We will arrive Madrid 30 / 31 AUG and travel the Camino de Santiago through the entire month of September and early October. Returning home around 4 / 5 October.

Hi Becca and Ed,
Maybe we'll meet along the way - I'm a New Yorker who is now living in Tucson, Arizona - I'm planning on starting my Camino on or around September 1st.

reading as fast as I can ....

I've been going back and reading older posts trying to catch up and learn from everyone's experiences here.

Thank you everyone for being such a font of information and support. I note that at least one or two of you will be on the trail in September so perhaps we will have a chance to run across someone.

Re: Pilgrimage in SEPT ~woooo hooooo~

Hi Becca and Ed,
Maybe we'll meet along the way - I'm a New Yorker who is now living in Tucson, Arizona - I'm planning on starting my Camino on or around September 1st.

Hello Arlene!

That is fabulous! Ed will be thrilled to see a fellow New Yorker out there - we too are planning to begin on September 1st. We will definitely look for you.

Arn said:
It's sometimes remarkable to me how folks learn of the Camino and, even though they can't begin right away, they come full circle and there they are...walking the Way.

Speaking of the movie "The Way"...it's clear that the movie has become a beacon for many folks making the decision to walk the Camino. I've mentioned before that this movie will have a similar effect on Americans (and others) that Hape Kerkeling's book Ich bin dann mal weg (I'm off for a bit, then)on the Camino did for the German population.

Arn - When first we heard of The Way via the movie, we ordered books. Ed ordered the guidebook. I ordered the guidebook, a minibook with just the maps, and Hape Kerkling's book "I'm off then"

The movie, the book and now all of you are such an inspiration to me for doing this pilgrimage! I am so excited.
Becca

€83,-
Becca, Ed and everyone else on the 2012 road. I am thrilled you are able to begin now. I, unfortunately, have to wait a couple more years it seems.

Becca, though it was an enjoyable read, I wasn't captivated by Hape's book. I was more inspired by Joyce Rupp's book "Walk in a relaxed manner" but the most inspired by the many many blogs and stories found on the Web.

Like some, I plan on taking a few more days/weeks than most. I have a thirst to visit places I haven't been before and a hobby that seems to engulf me beginning each spring. I love to do nothing more than identify butterflies I've never seen before and photograph all manner of insect life and other nature subjects. I figure I will be delayed many times even if I don't take any camera gear with me.

Tony - also living in Florida.

Sent using Tapatalk.

JoanfromComox

Hi Joan. I am also from Comox and planning my first Camino. Unfortunately my journey will not happen until the spring of 2014 (or maybe the fall of 2013) Nice to know I am not the only one from here crazy enough to want to do this :)

I plan to go with my husband who will be retiring from the military next summer. I'm dragging him along on my quest but he doesn't mind ... this is right up his alley even if he isn't as bonkers as me :)

oh my gosh - I cannot make myself stop reading about the Camino! It is nearly 0345 and I'm still up surfing hither and yon reading!

After spending this night (and now much of this morning) reading, I might have to join forces with Lauren and become an permanent pilgrim along the various pathways.

Tony, you are absolutely correct - there is so much interesting information on the internet - my eyeballs are brittle they are so dry from lack of closing them - HA! The way you are planning your journey sounds positively divine.

~must tear fingers off keyboard and eyes away from the forum~

Hi Becca!
You're obviously in for a wonderful experience. Remember September will be very hot in northern Spain though possibly cool in the mountains. Take a few layers and you'll be fine. If you walk the camino at different speeds - no problem, just arrange to meet up somewhere ahead. Don't try to keep together all the time if is becomes tiresome for Ed. Have a happy reunion at the end of the day!
I travel alone, because I am sooooo slow - I take hundreds of photographs, and like to pause and say a prayer at each wayside cross or chapel. It would drive other folk nuts!
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Meanderingby I so totally understand your problem! I have been reading about the Camino non stop for over a week and I am many many pages in on multiple different google searches ... in fact I am running OUT of things to read and having trouble finding new info hehe ...

Now that I have the bug I can't seem to let it go which could be a real problem since I can't go til 2014 and will have to manage my real life affairs better than I have been in the last week ... my family's eyes are already glazing over when I start to mention the Camino and my preparations ... I think maybe I've gone off the deep end ...lol... It's ok though, they understand, they just let me rant and nod their heads a few times to make it look like they're listening ;)

Good thing is I know something that will fix it ... a nice LONG walk!

Mysticl said:
Now that I have the bug I can't seem to let it go
... my family's eyes are already glazing over when I start to mention the Camino and my preparations ... I think maybe I've gone off the deep end

Good thing is I know something that will fix it ... a nice LONG walk!

Hi Mysticl, I know what you are speaking of......my oldest son was just here for three weeks visiting and had the glazed over, rolling up eyes every time I spoke of the Camino.

I'm convinced that when the Camino bug bites, the only way to calm the itch is a good long walk. I was bitten in the fall of last year and will be finally walking in September of this year :arrow:

€149,-
greetings all,
you can add me to the Class of 2012 as i will be setting off from SJPP in late April. after many months planning for the camino and collecting endless advice, i can hardly believe it is a month away! for me, i first heard about the camino from fellow travelers while in Central America but only in the 6 months did it become a constant thought...and i knew it would be my next adventure when at almost every turn i met people who had experience on the camino or had some connection to it!
glad to have found this site and all the fabulous information. looking forward to meeting some of you very soon.

Hi, my name is Sue and I am planning to walk the Camino in September. I have just booked my ticket, arriving in Biarritz on 29th August 2012! So that's the first step taken! :D

Hi, my name is Rhonda and I am planning to walk the Camino in May with my boyfriend, Jim. We will be arriving in Barcelona late April and will probably take the Aragon route. Any packing suggestions for tent and sleeping gear?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, my name is Karel. I am 60 and recently retired - hence time to realize an old dream: on Eastern Monday I will start walking the camino. I start from Ghent, Belgium and will first walk to Vezelay, then to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port and Irun and via the Camino del Norte and the Camino Primitivo to Santiago. I hope to arrive in August.
I have set up a little blog at http://2012compostela.wordpress.com (bi-lingual in Dutch and English as my family is Dutch speaking but many of my friends are not). Hope to meet some of you on my way down.

kdvgent said:
Hi, my name is Karel. I am 60 and recently retired - hence time to realize an old dream: on Eastern Monday I will start walking the camino. I start from Ghent, Belgium and will first walk to Vezelay, then to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port and Irun and via the Camino del Norte and the Camino Primitivo to Santiago. I hope to arrive in August.
I have set up a little blog at http://2012compostela.wordpress.com (bi-lingual in Dutch and English as my family is Dutch speaking but many of my friends are not). Hope to meet some of you on my way down.

Welcome to the Forum Karel!

I am certain that you will find much information here to help you plan your many upcoming caminos.

What a wonderful program you have set out for yourself!

You may be interested in this thread frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html which some of us 'older pilgrims' have set up.

I look forward to reading of your new adventures.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hi everyone!

My name is Fanny, I'm 18 and from Sweden. I'm planning to the French this summer, starting end of June or beginning of July. I'm so terrified, but also determined to it this summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JAMC said:
...I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience, why oh why do I feel so driven to do this, I've never felt so sure about something in my whole life???

JAMC, I feel much the same way as you. I plan to go in September, have bought my shoes, expect my backpack to arrive in a couple of days, and then will start training -- and hope that my training doesn't reveal any problems.

Buen camino to us both!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.