• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hola Silvia,

Welcome to the Forum!

What a a wonderful way the Camino will be to commemorate several changes in your life!

These Forum threads hold a wealth of information to help your prepare. Ask lots of questions if you like; past pilgrims enjoy sharing advice and tips with others. Such sharing helps keep our memories fresh. Like yourself many of us are also "hooked by the atmosphere".

For specific information regarding pilgrims and knee injuries scan this Forum thread >> medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/ Remember also that there are baggage services along the way so that you need not carry all your load. For more info see this blog written by a fellow Forum member, >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2013/01/sl ... ances.html

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Silvia--I have next to no experience long distance walking, so pardon if this is a dumb question, but isn't eight km in ninety minutes awfully fast?

Hi Sylvia,
First - congratulations for sticking with your goals - even in the face of the difficulties with your knee.
In connection with your training, I would recommend that you focus on endurance and distance rather than speed. You will develop a rhythm and pace that works best for your body if you allow yourself to. You definitely will not walk 4 or more kilometers per hour on some parts of the camino, although you certainly may on other parts. But it's the distance that can get you in the end and that your body needs to adjust to. Almost anyone can do short spurts, but sticking with the longer days over and over is more difficult for many very fit people of all ages.
Just my point of view having just gotten back from about 80 days of walking.
Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, although I'm a pilgrim since 2003 and although I'm an Internet nerd, this is my first active connection with this forum. I started in 2003 in Arles, and after several stages on the Via Tolosana, the Way from Le Puy, and since 2008 on the Camino Francès I'm going to arrive at the Cathedral of Santiago July 25th this year. One of my initial motivation to start the way was the memory on my mother who died in 1999. But only somehow last year I realized, that the anniversary of her death which is actually July 25th drove me to my timing for the walk this year and share the same goal with many other pilgrims to arrive for the anniversery of St. James. Normally my walking season was May / June, except last year from Astorga to Sarria, when I walked during La Semana Santa in April. So am I crazy to walk in July in Spain? Perhaps, but this feels good for me! So see some of you perhaps End of July for this year's pilgrim peak in Santiago? I hope so.

Hi,

Many thanks for your support and the hints about the training!

Indeed my goal is to train long distances and time.
Yesterday's training was more like a test (I just got home at 10pm, downloaded an app, and went for a long walk with our dog). I just wanted to understand what speed means to me, to better relate to information about distances and pace that I find on the websites.

Now I know that 6km/h is far too much for me, but I was very happy to see that I could reach it, and also that I could wake up this morning and go again - without hurting everywhere and without a swollen knee. But possibly even 4km/h is too high aim for me. I am here under sea level, and the highest point on my path was a bridge ;-)

I'll also check the medical info - many thanks!
To be continued, hopefully soon.

Gr, S.

Dear all

I'm Sysilia from Indonesia...after few years dream about Camino de Santiago, finally I decided to plan the walk :) First I must prepare for the visa which is not an easy thing for me as an Indonesian. Few weeks prepared for all the documents needed and today I got my visa, more than I expect though.

Right now, I can't stop smiling and also can't think, still way to happy and excited :D Surely there are lot of things to do for my September walk and I so can't wait.

See you all along the way, this forum never fails to make me smile during hard days at office :))

xx

Sysilia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sysilia,
I hope you have a wonderful time and are made very welcome on the Camino. I don't think I've come across another Indonesian person on the walk before.
Buen Camino!

Kanga said:
Sysilia,
I hope you have a wonderful time and are made very welcome on the Camino. I don't think I've come across another Indonesian person on the walk before.
Buen Camino!

Thank you Kanga, sure I'll have great time :) Can't wait

Buen Camino

Hi my name is Trish. I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia. I will be starting my first Camino walk from SJPDP on the 1st August. Looking forward to taking that first step and meeting others on the journey. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kentucky3 said:
Hi my name is Trish. I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia. I will be starting my first Camino walk from SJPDP on the 1st August. Looking forward to taking that first step and meeting others on the journey. Buen Camino

Hi Trish, congratulations, you have already taken the first step. :) Hope you have a wonderfully inspiring first Camino. Looking forward to my first Camino also in Sept!
Buen Camino
Aidan :)

Hello Everybody,

I'm Tom from Kailua, Hawaii. I am planning to hike el Camino Frances with my wife Karen and my friend Ted starting in late September from St. Jean Pied de Port. We're all retired finally with more time now to pursue our dreams and adventures. Karen and I have done some trekking in the past, including treks in Bhutan, Patagonia, and the Dolomites, but this is the longest walk any of us has attempted. Two years ago I bicycled across the United States, on the bike for just under three months. That gave me a taste for the longer adventure. Now I can see if it is as much fun on foot! We're looking forward to meeting people on the way and experiencing whatever comes up. Aloha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All,
My first post...my first Camino...starting in September 12th or 13th. Still unclear about where to start! 52 year old woman in no particular hurry, yet limited to 40 days and 40 nights.
Will be shopping for my backpack today in Toronto.
Are Blundstones a popular boot on the route?

Hola! I start my first Camino at the end of August. Since I only have 3 weeks off from work, I plan to start in Leon. From the US, I will fly to Madrid on the 27th. Is it easier/more advisable to take the train or bus to Leon? Do I need to book my ticket in advance? On the return to Madrid, I'll probably opt for the train.....again is it best to pre-book? Appreciate everyone's help!

AtlantaPilgrim.

You must be VERY excited as the time for your departure draws near!

The easier route to Leon would depend on what time your plane arrives.

By train the route would be Aeropuerto T4 to Madrid-Chamartin station and then a RENFE train to Leon. See this RENFE web for times and prices . >> http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

For Alsa bus times and prices see >> http://www.alsa.es/en/

For other helpful Forum discussions on this Madrid to Leon route check el-camino-frances/topic13083.html and traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic17431.html

Last but not least see earlier posts regarding walking west from Leon in this Forum thread >> el-camino-frances/topic18990.html

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

If you fly into Leon, you can start the camino directly from the airport. Walk up the hill from the terminal, and turn right!

If you want to visit Leon, there is an hourly bus from the terminal to downtown Leon, a long block from the cathedral. You can take that same bus the next morning to eliminate the soul-sucking walk out of town.

If you fly to Madrid, I have found the bus from the airport to be the most convenient and least stressful way to get to Leon. The bus terminal is across the river from the city center, so you will have a 15-minute walk to the cathedral or the albergue. The best I can say of the albergue is that the reception is friendly, and it is cheap.

The bus from Santiago to Madrid is a nightmare. The train is a delight. Even better is to fly home from Santiago. You might want to check fares to Leon and returning from Santiago.

Buen camino!

Thank you Margaret & Falcon! Flights have been booked, so in/out of Madrid is pretty fixed. Regarding the train/bus, is it advisable to pre-book the transportation? Yes, getting very excited!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Booking is a good idea. ALSA will take only PayPal, and Renfe works with just credit cards.

Hi dear friends... I'm Natalija, 38, from Split, Croatia. I heard for the Camino for more than 10 years and it grows slowely in my heart...I hope that this years is that right time to go at least a "little" Camino in August, starting from Astorga to Santiago because I have some 14 days free to do it. I'm walking alone.
I'm opened for all advice you can give me.
Thanks for everything :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino!

My wife, Donghee, and I are planning to start the Camino Frances in September, 2013.
We appreciate all the valuable information posted on this forum.

Thank you all.

Hi All,

I am a 52 year old mother of 4 from Toronto beginning the Camino from SJPP on Sept 5 on my own.I just booked my ticket today and reality is sinking in.Have my knapsack, hiking shoes, rain gear...need some advice on whether or not to bring a sleeping bag or rather make do with a liner?Want to travel as light as possible.I have never done anything as adventerous as this but I am so excited.I have alot to get done in the next 7 weeks before departure including getting my third son off to university!!Hope to meet some of you on my pilgrimage!

My husband and I are part of the class of 2013. We are from Vacaville, California. Vacaville is inbetween Sacramento and San Francisco, Ca. We will begin our pilgrimage on the Camino Frances on August 19, 2013, in SJPP. We are 66 and 74, but still in fairly good shape. We are excited and looking forward to the challenge ahead. We won't be running, but with Gods help, we will be looking to finish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! My name is Susan. I heard about the Camino over ten years ago, but with young children and elderly parents, I have not been able to do it. I have lurked around this forum for a couple of years, and as I logged on to post this, my eyes filled with tears. Finally. I booked my flight and will be flying into Marseille on September 12th, heading to Lourdes then on to St. Jean. I hope to start walking on either September 15 and 16th. I am officially part of the Class of 2013.

Hi Susan,
Similar responsibilities have kept me from the Camino, but I will be in Lourdes on 9/16 and then walking out of St. Jean on 9/18. Best to you and Buen Camino.
Jim

vgen5122 said:
My husband and I are part of the class of 2013. We will begin our pilgrimage on the Camino Frances on August 19, 2013, in SJPP. We are 66 and 74, but still in fairly good shape. We are excited and looking forward to the challenge ahead. We won't be running, but we will be looking to finish.

vgen5122,

Welcome to the Forum!

Browsing these Forum topics and threads will help you plan your future Camino. Feel free to ask lots of questions. Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Be sure to check out in particular these two helpful topics for those of us who are 60 and over >>
frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html
and
el-camino-frances/topic18706.html

On my first Camino at 65 I learned the hard way that this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!
Thus for all the my other Caminos I started walking slowly and very easy for the first week.
Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. All is a daily juggle between the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Remember this is your camino! Your path is made by your feet; there is no single way. We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a 52 year old mother of 4 from Toronto beginning the Camino from SJPP on Sept 5 on my own.I just booked my ticket today and reality is sinking in.Have my knapsack, hiking shoes, rain gear...need some advice on whether or not to bring a sleeping bag or rather make do with a liner?Want to travel as light as possible.I have never done anything as adventerous as this but I am so excited.I have alot to get done in the next 7 weeks before departure including getting my third son off to university!!Hope to meet some of you on my pilgrimage!

Others may disagree with me, but I say forget the sleeping bag and just go with the liner. I did the Camino (started in SJPP) and ditched my sleeping bag early on, as the albergues were all heated and I wanted the extra space in my bag. All the albergues, save one, provided blankets and, in the case of the one that did not supply blankets, we spied, through an open door to a store room, stacks of blankets. If you are still cold, you can wear your long underwear, and your jacket. BTW, we never had any problems with bedbugs, ever; and eventually stopped even thinking about them.
Buen Camino. Charleen

Hi Everybody,

We just booked our plane tickets and will be arriving in Madrid mid-morning of September 21. I picture us making our way to Ronce de Valle (two of the three of us are having doubts about starting weeks on the trail with a very difficult Pyrenees first day), and then resting another day to recover from our 27 hour flight from Hawaii. So our plan is to set out on the Camino Frances on September 23 from Ronce de Valle.

I've been trying to find the right walking shoe for me without coming up with a satisfactory solution. My latest attempt has been a Salomon trail runner shoe, but two weeks of trying it out has raised concerns related to the insole pushing up on my arch, particularly pushing against the back of my arch. I've used Superfeet insoles in the past, buying larger insoles than my shoe size and trimming the toes to essentially move my arch support forward in the boot, and I may try that again. My old Superfeet insoles were very painful when I put them in the Salomons. I've really got tender feet, and it seems as though nothing is ever just right. I wonder whether I can just adjust over time, or whether pains I feel now in my feet are forerunners of eventual chronic problems. I might end up using my Asolo mid-hikers, a relatively heavy hiking boot, but one that has done me well on a number of trails. It does seem like overkill, and I would like to avoid the extra weight on my feet if I could. Actually this all reminds me of the pre-trip anxieties I always go through before getting on the airplane, with various aches and pains intensifying in the middle of the night! Each of our party of three is going through his own unique anxieties as well. Maybe that's just a normal amping up of the mind's attentiveness, prior to undertaking a grand undertaking! I must say I'm really getting excited about this journey! I'm excited enough that I find myself using exclamation marks, relatively rare for me.

One thing that strikes me about hiking the Camino de Santiago is how the logistics seem to just take care of themselves once people begin hiking. I'm hoping I can take the minute to minute experience in front of me as it comes, trusting that it will work out well, and even the misadventures and missteps will all add to the experience. I'm trying not to overplan or overthink what is to come, and my impression is that the Camino de Santiago is very amenable to that approach. It does take some willpower for me not to jump into anxiety-driven planning and to remind myself it will all work out without that. My experience browsing the forum is that there are answers to many questions that never occurred to me to ask. In some cases I should be asking them, so it has been very helpful and interesting.

I can hardly wait for September 23 to be here and to take my first steps on the Camino de Santiago. When we're there, I'm looking forward to meeting posters on this forum.

Tom Loomis

I bought some merrill ventilator shoes with vibram soles , so far so good but still wearing them in.

I am also going with silk liner bag only starting late August.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
christer1 said:
I bought some merrill ventilator shoes with vibram soles , so far so good but still wearing them in.

I am also going with silk liner bag only starting late August.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Some people love Merrills. I've owned two pair of them but never could adjust to either. That is probably more of a statement about me than it is a criticism of the Merrills. One pair is still in my closet and might be worth a second look.

tploomis said:
Hi Everybody,

We just booked our plane tickets and will be arriving in Madrid mid-morning of September 21. I picture us making our way to Ronce de Valle (two of the three of us are having doubts about starting weeks on the trail with a very difficult Pyrenees first day), and then resting another day to recover from our 27 hour flight from Hawaii. So our plan is to set out on the Camino Frances on September 23 from Ronce de Valle.

I've been trying to find the right walking shoe for me without coming up with a satisfactory solution. My latest attempt has been a Salomon trail runner shoe, but two weeks of trying it out has raised concerns related to the insole pushing up on my arch, particularly pushing against the back of my arch. I've used Superfeet insoles in the past, buying larger insoles than my shoe size and trimming the toes to essentially move my arch support forward in the boot, and I may try that again. My old Superfeet insoles were very painful when I put them in the Salomons. I've really got tender feet, and it seems as though nothing is ever just right. I wonder whether I can just adjust over time, or whether pains I feel now in my feet are forerunners of eventual chronic problems. I might end up using my Asolo mid-hikers, a relatively heavy hiking boot, but one that has done me well on a number of trails. It does seem like overkill, and I would like to avoid the extra weight on my feet if I could. Actually this all reminds me of the pre-trip anxieties I always go through before getting on the airplane, with various aches and pains intensifying in the middle of the night! Each of our party of three is going through his own unique anxieties as well. Maybe that's just a normal amping up of the mind's attentiveness, prior to undertaking a grand undertaking! I must say I'm really getting excited about this journey! I'm excited enough that I find myself using exclamation marks, relatively rare for me.

One thing that strikes me about hiking the Camino de Santiago is how the logistics seem to just take care of themselves once people begin hiking. I'm hoping I can take the minute to minute experience in front of me as it comes, trusting that it will work out well, and even the misadventures and missteps will all add to the experience. I'm trying not to overplan or overthink what is to come, and my impression is that the Camino de Santiago is very amenable to that approach. It does take some willpower for me not to jump into anxiety-driven planning and to remind myself it will all work out without that. My experience browsing the forum is that there are answers to many questions that never occurred to me to ask. In some cases I should be asking them, so it has been very helpful and interesting.

I can hardly wait for September 23 to be here and to take my first steps on the Camino de Santiago. When we're there, I'm looking forward to meeting posters on this forum.

Tom Loomis

Hey Tom,

I will be on the Camino a few days before ye, starting in St Jean. Regarding your insoles I have also found Superfeet to be very hard on my feet, recently I have found Sorbathane insoles....they are really comfortable, not as solid as superfeet, but still provide excellent arch support.
http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/

Hope this helps, Buen Camino
Aidan :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Tom,

I will be on the Camino a few days before ye, starting in St Jean. Regarding your insoles I have also found Superfeet to be very hard on my feet, recently I have found Sorbathane insoles....they are really comfortable, not as solid as superfeet, but still provide excellent arch support.
http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/

Hope this helps, Buen Camino
Aidan :)[/quote]

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give Sorbathane insoles a try.

Tom

charlesx said:

Others may disagree with me, but I say forget the sleeping bag and just go with the liner. I did the Camino (started in SJPP) and ditched my sleeping bag early on, as the albergues were all heated and I wanted the extra space in my bag. All the albergues, save one, provided blankets and, in the case of the one that did not supply blankets, we spied, through an open door to a store room, stacks of blankets. If you are still cold, you can wear your long underwear, and your jacket. BTW, we never had any problems with bedbugs, ever; and eventually stopped even thinking about them.
Buen Camino. Charleen

Thanks Charleen, i am going to go with silk liner and bring long johns!!!!Booked into Auberge du Pelerin for 2 nights Sept 3 and 4!

Hi Tom,

I will be starting my Camino from SJPP on the 23 Sept, stopping first nite in Orisson, then arriving in Roncesvalles on the 24th. I also have Salomons - 2 pair - one a mid boot, the other a running shoe - and am using Superfeet. I'm a 68 yo woman have a high arch, arthritis in my feet, and a bunion. The Superfeet started out feeling "funny" - the arch seemed rather far back vis-a-vis MY arch, but Superfeet states that this is normal and the arch will conform to your feet as you wear them -- that certainly was true for me! It took about 6 or 7 wearings, and now they are WONDERFUL. I have NO foot pain when I'm wearing either the shoe or the boot with these supports.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Terry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I am Espy from New Mexico, USA. Three friends and I will start our pilgrimage in St Jean on September 1 and hope to arrive in Santiago on or a little before October 5. We have been planning this trip for a year and are now on a count-down mode. :D :eek:)) I am so excited, I can't hardly wait to get started. So, please count me in as one of the members of the Class of 2013.

Wow, this posting thing is strange to me since I usually run away from this type of forums......so, just like the Camino, this is a first! Like it will be a first for me to take it easy and just take one day at a time. When I first made the decision to walk the Camino, I dove right in and commenced walking many many miles a week with the wrong shoes and with a pack that was about 15 pounds too heavy. Needles to say, I lost a few toenails and each time I returned home from my training walks something left the pack. I have now the right set of shoes, the right size pack and a totally different attitude or so I think--my friends think otherwise LOL :lol: . Looking forward to many more "firsts" and to meeting some of you along the way.

Deaseandoles a todos un buen Camino!

Espy

Hi Espy...great that you are preparing so well for your Camino. It is a great feeling :smile:
If everything is going to be alright I will start my first Camino in August but I have just about 12-14 days so I am starting in Leon or in Astorga. I have some doubts with the size of my backpack and so I'm interested for which size did you go at least? I don't want to overpack and doubt if a deuter 38+5 will be enough. Your opinion? Greetings and Buen Camino :)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Espy I am also starting my first Camino from St Jean on 31st Aug. Like you it has been a long time in planning and I am also counting down now, so exciting:) I too am not usually a forum person but have found such useful info here:) Buen Camino! Perhaps we may meet along the way!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Saint Francesco,

It is nice to communicate, is it not? :) About the size of pack...what I think is that what one needs to do first before deciding on what pack to take is to think really hard on what it is important to you, what you can live with or without, and more importantly what you think you will really need for the time you will spend in the Camino. What I found is that initially a pack does not seem to weight a lot, but as you walk day in and day out for a while, it seems to get heavier and heavier--reason why I was removing things from my pack, removing labels from shirts, transferring deodorant to tiny little containers, cutting handles from my tooth brush.....gosh, you will think it is hilarious if I was to post here all the crazy things I have done just to reduce the weight of the things I decided I could not live with out. :lol: In the end, I settled for a women's Gregory 55 because of the way it can be loaded, not only from the top but like a small suitcase---silly what becomes important! I am sorry for being so wordy but I have enjoyed so very much comparing notes with my friends on what they are taking or not...it has been a really nice way to get to know them. The wonders for being different; it is what makes the world so wonderful. Right? A side, one of my friends settled for Osprey 50 and another for a 60 lit. I am uncertain as to what my other friend finally decided. In any case, she is a search and rescue EMT who is used to carrying around a pack which weights 40 lbs so I think she is invincible. :lol: . Did this help? Espy

Hi Diwalker,

Perhaps we will meet. We will be in St. Jean on the 31 of August, if that is where you are starting. I am certain that the Universe will make us gravitate towards one another if we are indeed to exchange ideas. Are you walking the entire way to Santiago? are you walking alone?

Buen Camino!

Hi Espy I will miss you by 1 day in St J, but perhaps we will cross paths along the way! All the way to Finisterre, I hope:) and yes I am walking alone:) I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time.... Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi to all members of this forum. My name is Maurice and I am from Cape Town. Will be starting my Camino on the 4Sept 13 from SJPP together with my sister Irene who resides in Barcelona. She will be walking with for the first couple of days. Will be meeting my wife in Sarria to do the last 100 km together. Did the Camino 2 yrs ago from Leon which was a unreal experience. Hope to meet some of the members. Buen Camino

Will do the last 100km starting 7/18/13. I have wanted to do the Camino for years and never seem to find the time, so jumped at the opportunity to do the last segment this year. Can't wait to be there.

Hi all

and thank you very much for the many, many ideas and the inspiration I have gained from reading these threads the last few months. I just checked the calendar and it is now official, I am one of the Class of 2013, leaving SJPDP on 21 August. I don't have anyone else from Thailand who is on the French Way as far as I know so am hoping that chance will give me the opportunity to meet some of you along the way.

By the way, I recall hearing of a hostel only the Camino which is supported by an order in Austria. Does anyone know of this place and the group which supports it? I will be in Vienna for two weeks before travelling to SJPDP and would like to make the connection. Thank you if you can help.

Buen Camino
Gray.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm starting this coming weekend, from new zealand... :) ..the Camino Frances

I'll be walking by myself but knowing i am in good company along the way. I only decided to do this about a month ago, it felt right. I'm trying to travel light yet prepared and only time will tell!!!
I have no expectations but hopefully i will grow as a person,,,infact i think that is a given as any experience gives opportunity for growth.
I'm also ever so slightly nervous...but know i will be fine and have it in me!

Buen Camino everybody else on their journey this year also

syreeta

Peachy said:
I'm starting this coming weekend, from new zealand... :) ..the Camino Frances

I'll be walking by myself but knowing i am in good company along the way. I only decided to do this about a month ago, it felt right. I'm trying to travel light yet prepared and only time will tell!!!
I have no expectations but hopefully i will grow as a person,,,infact i think that is a given as any experience gives opportunity for growth.
I'm also ever so slightly nervous...but know i will be fine and have it in me!

Buen Camino everybody else on their journey this year also

syreeta

Buen Camino Syreeta, have a wonderful inspiring journey. :) Aidan

Leaving Oklahoma on 12 Sept to Dublin. Then to Biarritz on 15 Sept and start my camino from SJPP on 16 Sept. Have already met two people who are starting with me. I have read these posts, walked what seems like a thousand miles, and now it is almost time to go. I will celebrate my 67th birthday in Santiago on Oct 23 if all goes well. What better gift could I possibly want? Buen Camino to all of you and Vaya con Dios.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Everyone, I am walking the Camino Frances starting this September, 2013. I have MS and plan on using a pack carrying service if anyone can give me information about that it would be much appreciated. I am a retired woman and am doing the walk alone but hoping to meet many friends along the way. I am allowing two months for the journey.

davidc1946 said:
Leaving Oklahoma on 12 Sept to Dublin. Then to Biarritz on 15 Sept and start my camino from SJPP on 16 Sept. Have already met two people who are starting with me. I have read these posts, walked what seems like a thousand miles, and now it is almost time to go. I will celebrate my 67th birthday in Santiago on Oct 23 if all goes well. What better gift could I possibly want? Buen Camino to all of you and Vaya con Dios.

Where in Oklahoma do you live? I'm in Tulsa & planning a trip in May '14

Hola everyone, I've finalized my travel plans - leaving Saint Jean 20-Sept-2013 and staying in Orisson for the night, then on to Santiago, Finesterra and Muxia. In the meantime I'm whittling down my packing list and building up my walking kilometers. Excited, scared and every emotion in between. Looking forward to meeting people along the way. Cheers, Maggie

Hi All,
I would like to introduce myself I'm LarryDav, 52y0 from Cambridge, MA. I Just brought my plane ticket to Madrid. I'll be leaving Cambridge, MA on Sept 6th arriving in Madrid during the morning hours of Sept. 7th. I will be taking the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, then to St. Jean. I'll spend a day in St. Jean to get any last minute items before starting my pilgrimage on Sept. 9th. I don't have a planned arrival date for Santiago, I figure I'll get there when ever I get there. I'm in no hurry and I didn't really plan in detail my daily stops. I'm just going to start walking and enjoy my pilgrimage. I'll most likely continue on to Finisterre/Muxia before going back to Madrid. Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims during my travels,
LarryDav

ForestChilde said:
I have MS and plan on using a pack carrying service if anyone can give me information about that it would be much appreciated.
Due to the popularity of the service all accommodation will be able to organise bag transport to your next destination. It won't be a problem.
Here is one such supplier.
http://www.jacotrans.com/

Buen Camino
Gerard

Hi all,

I'm starting my first camino on 4th of September from Astorga. I would loooove to go all the way from france but since I only have 3 weeks of vacation and limited funds I will have to settle for less :) And during my research I found that the most important thing for me was to be able to walk into Santiago and getting my Compostela - therefore I start in Astorga, where I will be able to reach Santiago in the time I have...

I first heard of the camino a few years ago and have been reading everything I could about the camino ever since. And now is the time for doing it for real. I'm looking so much forward to my trip and have been preparing/planning for the last 6 months. And all of the sudden there's less than 2 months to go before I set foot on the camino for the first time :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all

I have lurked on the forum for more than a year, and found it so useful when I was planning for my camino in April from Leon to Santiago. I'm 31 & from Ireland.
karinotzen - it may seem 'less' to walk from Astorga but I found my spring one from Leon absolutely incredible! And there will always be people who have walked further (even if you started from SJPdP) but it was what I made of it that was so important.
But I've now become addicted so I am going back at the very end of October to walk from SJPdP probably just for a week or so, to Logrono. But will have to buy and break in new boots as the last pair gave me a nasty blister at my heel as the fit wasn't right (I have stupidly narrow ankles)

Hi to all past ,present and future Peregrinos.

My name is Ron, age 55 and starting from SJPDP on Sept. 14 2013, hoping to make it
to Finnestera and Muxia and back to Santiago de Compostela by Nov. 1st.

Really looking forward to this, hope to see you out there.

Buen Camino :)

venturing2 said:
Hi to all past ,present and future Peregrinos.

My name is Ron, age 55 and starting from SJPDP on Sept. 14 2013, hoping to make it
to Finnestera and Muxia and back to Santiago de Compostela by Nov. 1st.

Really looking forward to this, hope to see you out there.

Hi Ron and welcome

My friend and i leave SJPdP on the 13th Sept and are staying at Orisson that night, see you along the way perhaps.

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currently in Beaune in France for a concert this evening and then I fly to Madrid tomorrow and take a coach on to Ponferrada. I have only 9 free days to walk. I desperately wish I could start in SJPP but that will have to be for another time. For now I can't believe I have already left home and start my smaller pilgrimage tomorrow. I am still repacking my rucksack and sending things home with a colleague tomorrow.
Nervous and excited and can't wait to see what I learn about myself.

Hello,
Stepping away from the fringes and declaring myself a member of the class of 2013. Thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge you post on this forum. Collectively you have managed to answer every question I could think of about the Camino and then ...so much more. My husband Dave and I will leave from SJPP on Tuesday, August 20th, 2013.
Lisa
(P.S. for Ivar....Go Cougs!)

I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago de Compostela this year, from 24 April to 29 May. Perhaps I met some of you. If I did perhaps you would re-introduce yourself to me so we can re-connect. I met dozens of wonderful, interesting people form all over the world, and provided my contact information to several. However, there are many people who, in retrospect, I should have obtained contact information for - perfect hindsight.

During this, my first Camino, I had serious problems with my feet (infected heel calluses) that eventually required a minor operation in a podiatrist's office in Brugos. Unfortunately, accommodating my feet compelled me to use ALSA buses to "leap-frog a couple of bits of the Camino that I was unable to walk. So, I intend to return in April 2014 to do it again. I promised myself I would keep at it until I got it right. For me this means walking the entire distance.

My wife thinks I am being silly. But for me it is a matter of principle. Besides, I've become a "Camino Junkie." Part of me is on a perpetual Camino and I think of it every day. My life is now broken into two segments "Before Camino," and "After Camino." My wife is very understand and is rolling with this, even though she remains at home.

So, I am posting this for two reasons:

1. If you were on the Camino from 24 April to 29 May and remember me, please PM me and provide contact information if you would like to reconnect. My name is Tom. I am from Virginia in the U.S.

I wore a green/grey Osprey Talon 48 rucksack. When it rained I wore "Zippy" the full body condom - my name for the red Ferrino trekking raincoat I bought in St. Jean. I used two trekking poles and I also wore two plain Vittel water bottles clipped to my sternum harness.

If this does not make the connection perhaps my giving fleece gaitor hats to people who had none, or fixing broken trekking poles and rucksack straps, among other things might jog one's memory.

2. As I am getting ready to do the Camino Frances again, starting in mid-to-late April 2014 from St. Jean, I am reaching out to anyone who might be interested in forming a loose association or informal group. Everyone brings something special and unique to a group and to the shared experience of a Camino. Forming a "Camino Family" is something that one remembers for their lifetime. I am merely reaching out to form mine early...for the next Camino. Again, as above, please PM me on this forum and I will respond.

Completed the entire length of the Camino de Santiago Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago on Friday, 14 June 2013. I began with my partner and girlfriend on 20 April. We took a few side trips and stayed some extra days in the places we liked, such as Pamplona, Burgos, and Najera, not to mention stopping halfway to take the high speed train to Madrid for a visit.

It was truly heartfelt. Challenging in many ways spiritually and physically at times, all in all, after everything is said and done, I will do it again one day. It's just that, for now, there is this Great Wall in China...

Hello to all of Class 2013

I am Fiona (53yrs) from a small mountain village in South Africa. In Feb 2013 my 1st camino started in Leon and ended in Santiago. I went to Finisterre by bus - sorry I hadn't allowed enough time to walk there. I intended to walk my camino 'alone' but companions came and went along the way. I never felt alone on the camino although I never saw another pilgrim from Leon until I got to the hostel in Astorga.

I agree with t2andreo - my thoughts connect with the camino in some or other way almost every day. I was blessed with meeting wonderful people, especially a Spanish couple, Maria and Narciso, in Astorga, and we walked together (more or less) for a few days. I am sure that there are many pilgrims who have come across them. They have completed 20 or more caminos of different routes and seem to 'adopt' a pilgrim on most trips. If anyone meets up with them PLEASE give them a special hug from me.

My thanks must go to Margaret Meredith - Margaret I slipped up by not taking the immersion heater for making tea. A definite mistake on my part. I read every word you published on walking in winter and you helped to give me the confidence to do it. And waking to Ave Maria was just as wonderful as you said! Also thanks to Ivar - the luggage storage service is SOOO useful.

I still get asked why I did it and I still don't have an answer but I know that I have to go back. When I decided to do it (8 weeks before) I had never walked more than 8km at a go - and then maybe 3 times in my life and never with a pack. Tho to be honest am fitter than most my age but don't walk any distance regularly (play a bit of squash, attend an exercise class 3 hours a week and waterski in summer). In the month before I left I walked 6 to 8 km 3 or 4 times a week and for the last 10 days walked with about 75% in my pack.

I found it amazingly easy. After the first 3 days I really didn't notice my pack (carrying 7.5kg). I used one walking pole which was very handy in the snow for checking the depth and helped in icy and muddy conditions.

To all those who have set their dates enjoy every moment. To everyone who is still thinking about doing a camino - DO IT.

Buen Camino
Fiona

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone, I have been watching from the sidelines for some time and have really enjoyed the conversations. I am a newby and will start in St Jean on 14 August. Not long now. I have been training a lot as I haven't walked with a pack for any distance at all. After getting some advice from this forum I am carrying around 6.5kgs and feel quite comfortable with my deuter pack. I have noticed the weather is quite unpredictable and also quite warm at the moment which is good as I am from Perth Western Australia and it is mid winter and very cold. :( Getting very exited and a little nervous as well! I am hamstrung for time so will walk to Leon (hopefully) this time and return with my husband in a couple of years to walk Leon to Santiago De Compostela.

Hola,

I finally got the nerve to click the "Buy" button for my airline tkts. I'll be landing in Madrid Sept 4th. I'll be coming from San Francisco and I'll be celebrating my 62nd birthday on the Camino. I hope to start from SJPDP, but who knows, and I have given myself 5 weeks to complete the pilgrimage. I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing, but I think it will be a wonderful adventure.

Felipe

filup501 said:
Hola,

I finally got the nerve to click the "Buy" button for my airline tkts. I'll be landing in Madrid Sept 4th. I'll be coming from San Francisco and I'll be celebrating my 62nd birthday on the Camino. I hope to start from SJPDP, but who knows, and I have given myself 5 weeks to complete the pilgrimage. I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing, but I think it will be a wonderful adventure.

Felipe
hi there Felipe. I will be starting from Roncesvalles on sept 8th and hope to meet you somewhere - Fallow

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My name is martyn I am hoping to do the camino ingles at the end of september beginning of october for charity and as a pilgrimage. Is there a way I can organise luggage transport between hotels. I shall be walking on my own over 5 days?

evansbevan said:
My name is martyn I am hoping to do the camino ingles at the end of september beginning of october for charity and as a pilgrimage. Is there a way I can organise luggage transport between hotels. I shall be walking on my own over 5 days?

Martyn,

Welcome to the Forum!

One of the large baggage transport services on the Caminos is Jacotrans. Here is their web >> http://www.jacotrans.com/ See also the comprehensive blog by fellow Forum member Amawalker/Sillydoll who writes about Camino slackpacking and various luggage services here >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2013/01/sl ... ances.html

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hello everyone,

I am live in Goderich, Ontario, Canada and am planning on walking the Camino Frances in September and October 2013. This forum is incredibly helpful.

Thanks and buen camino,

Susanna

Hello there
I am planning on walking with my son Matt starting from Pamplona on 30 August, not long to go now! Really looking forward to getting started.
I am from Sydney, Australia but I currently live in Jakarta, Indonesia so all my training is mostly restricted to the gym and the odd golf course!
This forum has been invaluable with tips and good advice.

I did walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela early last year. It was an amazing experience unlike any other long distance walk I have done so I am back for more!
Cheers
DeeDee

Hello everyone,
I'm starting off from SJPP on September 23, with two sisters-in-law and a niece. We are a mix of Canadians and Americans- converging in Spain from Ottawa, Montreal, Philadelphia, and Venice, Fla. This forum has been, and will continue to be, a wonderful introduction to our grand adventure, which now seems awfully close at hand. Hope to see some of you along the way.

I know I'll be in the Class of 2013, the only question is whether I'll graduate! My daughter and I will start on September 12 and hopefully arrive in Santiago on the 24th of October.

At 80+ it won't be a Sunday stroll, but I've been looking forward to it since 1975! It's time!

Indyinmaine

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
filup501 said:
Hola,

Felipe

Don't sweat it Felipe, we probably won't meet because I'll be about a week behind you but Happy Birthday. I have 20 years on you!

Indyinmaine

It definitely does not have to be about graduating! Just about starting! Taking that first step, there are no rules! Enjoy every moment :) Buen Camino!

I'm arriving in Madrid Sept 4th @6:35 PM. Can anyone recommend a safe and affordable place to stay overnight in Madrid? I think it would be good to spend the night in Madrid before catching a bus to Pamplona. Ideally the recommendation would be convenient to transportation. May I add that I am very nervous about this trip. Just thought I'd get that out. Thanks! : )

Felipe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am 12 days away from starting the Camino in SJPDP, coming from Los Angeles traveling with my dad who is 68, I am half his age 34 (he's in great shape) we've been walking, hiking, trekking and prepping for more than half a year. We are so excited to meet all of you pilgrims. The Camino chose me many years ago when I started reading books about it, dreamed and talked about being so adventurous one day and now the time is almost here! We will be walking August 17-Sept 18 (maybe more)
Karen

I am so excited!! My Camino trip is booked! I will be coming in from Seattle 9-10-13 to Pamplona and starting on the Camino Frances Route 9-12-13! This forum is so helpful to have as a resource to refer to for my many questions in planning! Thank you!

Hello,

My name is Daniel, 45 and I am from Quebec, Canada. I am planning my Camino. Just purchased my airfare. Leaving October 31, 2013.... for 30 days (So unitl December 2). This journey means a lot to me and I'm excited to learn and see what it will bring to me. Wondering if others are leaving around those dates? I'll be starting in Logrono.

Any advice on those dates, or that route (will land in Madrid, get to Logrono don't know how yet :eek:) - will do Logrono to Santiago to Fisterra.

So excited, can't wait. Share if you want.

Daniel

Hi guys,
just a note to declare that my wife & I as one of the class of 2013 !!! I am a Canuck exiled in Essex UK. My wife and I arrive in SJPDP on the 18th September & will start our Camino on the 19th aiming to to get to Logrono in about 7 days. Hope to see some of you guys on the way.
Buen Camino.

Hi, a little over two weeks until I start from SJPDP. I'm from Rochester, NY and will be travelling with my brother Bob starting on August 27th. Been working on this for over a year.
Buen Camino

Buen Camino! My name is Lynda. I'm from Colorado Springs and I will start my first Camino ( Lord willing) August 14 in SJPP. So excited to be getting on a plane for Paris on Monday! Keep rechecking my backpack!

Ricay said:
Hi guys,
just a note to declare that my wife & I as one of the class of 2013 !!! I am a Canuck exiled in Essex UK. My wife and I arrive in SJPDP on the 18th September & will start our Camino on the 19th aiming to to get to Logrono in about 7 days. Hope to see some of you guys on the way.
Buen Camino.

Hey there, Ricay! There are a few of us forum members leaving SJPDP on the 19th. I'm from southern Oregon and traveling solo and I know of a gentleman and his son (from the Bay Area) who are also leaving on the same day. Hope to see you in the queue. Cheers, Maggie

Hello! :D Everyone..
I plan to do the Camino around the second week of September 2013.
As it is, got all the gear and travel connections in tow...coming from
Cebu, Philippines...and whats
most comforting is to see all the other Pilgrims on this forum share
their insights...
Thank you so much for your presence and your faith...
Despite my fears and anxiety,You all serve as my guiding light
towards my journey on the Camino..
Looking forward to see you along the way..

Buen Camino
Lotusflower

I always laugh when I read this subject line.. What does it mean being in the class of? It's not a school.

You mean you are walking in the year of..

We are not in school people! We are not graduating from university or high school. You are going on a pilgrimage or a walk or a hike..

For the record, I walked The Camino Frances in 2012 and 2013.

Re: Re: Class of 2013

lynettefoo said:
I always laugh when I read this subject line.. What does it mean being in the class of? It's not a school.

We are not in school people! We are not graduating from university or high school. You are going on a pilgrimage or a walk or a hike..

You take things a little too literally, don't you?

Re: Re: Class of 2013

CaminoGen said:
lynettefoo said:

:eek:) lol ... I thought so too. But you know what, all sorts!! If you watched the movie "The Way" (if not, you have to see it... ), you realized that. Never judge, just smile and accept ;o)

Re: Re: Re: Class of 2013

dandagenais said:
CaminoGen said:
lynettefoo said:

:eek:) lol ... I thought so too. But you know what, all sorts!! If you watched the movie "The Way" (if not, you have to see it... ), you realized that. Never judge, just smile and accept ;o)

Walked the Camino once and loved it so much I'm leave to do it sain in 27 days , watched the movie The Way twice and disliked it both times. Takes all sorts... :wink:

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!
Setting off on 10 Sept - St Jean to Logrono - hopefully by 20 Sept

I am Dave from Saskatchewan Canada, and my wife and I will start our Camino from SJPP on Aug 23. Any one else sharing our date? Our first night, Aug 23, will be at Orrison.

Hi,
I am Zara from Perth , Australia. Walking from Sarria to St James in late Oct 2013..
Started training and basic Spanish... Any ideas what to expect from weather and whether spare footwear would be beneficial ??? Thx :))

Hi,
I am Zara from Perth , Australia. Walking from Sarria to St James in late Oct 2013..
Started training and basic Spanish... Any ideas what to expect from weather and whether spare footwear would be beneficial ??? Thx :))

Hi Zara,

Welcome to the Forum!

You must be getting excited since October will soon be here!

These Forum topics and threads hold a wealth of information to help you plan your future Camino. Past pilgrims enjoy sharing their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Glad that you are training since walking every day really takes a toll. Scan this Forum thread for other pilgrims' approaches to training both pro and con. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/training-for-the-camino.19243/

Another timely Forum thread is this discussion of possible October weather >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-camino-frances-in-october-november.17421/ Be sure to take warm layers since the nights can be VERY chilly.

I, too, plan to be walking the CF once again starting mid October. Perhaps you might find my autumn/winter kit list helpful for your planning. Here is that link >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Buen Camino,

Margaret meredith

€46,-
Hi! My name is Lynne and I will be in SJPP on September 27th. Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful information on this forum!
Buen Camino!

Hi Lynne, I will be 1 day behind you. 28th September for me. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas counting down the days! I wish you a Buen Camino! It's true this forum is a true treasure!

€83,-
My Name is Hume and like Lynne I will be in SJPP on September 27th, and I agree its like being a child waiting for Christmas.

Hi Hume, I'm not a very fast walker, more of a plodder! However I can plod for quite a while so who knows maybe I will catch up? Hope you have a Buen Camino!
Sarah

Ah... The 27th seems to be a popular arrival day. Hope to see you there, or at least along the trail on the morning of the 28th.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.