• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

To all those pilgrims I made it over the prynees I am stuffed in Espinal for two nites to get some rest as I say slow and easy. I think knowing what was comming was harder than being a newbie . But feet okay just tired.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino is not a race...it's an experience!
I've been reading many of the 2014 posts and in many they mention the "race" for bed space and the long lines.
I would offer, that if more folks were on the Forum, this would not be the case. Somewhere, sometime, someone wrote that you will not get a bed because groups of folks will prebook and leave you in the cold. Seldom has this been the case. If you MUST go all day and hope for a bed at the projected terminus, so be it. Rather consider, set out at a reasonable time (only you know that), walk at a reasonable pace (only your body knows that) and arrive at your destination...it may not be the one you planned on...but it's the one the Camino delivered. All will be fine.
As a wise man (or was it a woman) once said, "Anytime you think you are lost...you are exactly where you are at!"
Buen "Yup there's room here, but I think I'll push just one more town" Camino,
Arn

Woke last nite in Espinal to a big electrical stom and heavy rain but today is fine fog lifting but I am staying for mass and start again tomorrow no rush.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino is not a race...it's an experience!
I've been reading many of the 2014 posts and in many they mention the "race" for bed space and the long lines.
I would offer, that if more folks were on the Forum, this would not be the case. Somewhere, sometime, someone wrote that you will not get a bed because groups of folks will prebook and leave you in the cold. Seldom has this been the case. If you MUST go all day and hope for a bed at the projected terminus, so be it. Rather consider, set out at a reasonable time (only you know that), walk at a reasonable pace (only your body knows that) and arrive at your destination...it may not be the one you planned on...but it's the one the Camino delivered. All will be fine.
As a wise man (or was it a woman) once said, "Anytime you think you are lost...you are exactly where you are at!"
Buen "Yup there's room here, but I think I'll push just one more town" Camino,
Arn
400 people left Roncesvalles. Many towns don't have enough beds so there is a feeling of competition. I see many many people arriving late only to be turned away. It is very hard.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
188 kms. to go before I reach Santiago de Compostela. I'm now in Villafranca del Bierzo. The weather has been good except for the early afternoon drenching yesterday.
Buen Camino!

Hi

Like many I have been lurking for a few months, now i am just over a week out from heading over to Europe to start my camino. I'm meeting my sister for a few days in paris before training down to Pamplona to meet out parents and start walking on the 9th October. The four of us will be walking from Pamplona to Santiago taking around 30 days. Thanks to all on the forum for your great advice and anecdotes. Hopefully we will meet some of you along the way

In Molinaseca just now :)

Yesterday the bars were just at the right place to avoid the showers, but today we were rinced from Foncebadon to past Manjarin.

Out of it, it's Camino time! :D:D:D

Life is good,
Buen Camino to all.

PS: all private rooms/places booked for the Cycling World Championship, up to the end of the week...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi
I leave home in England 12.00 tomorrow, and will start walking alone from Astorga to Santiago on Tuesday 7 October. I have allowed 15 days for this which should be enough time.
I have been preparing for several months, have already found a huge amount of helpful advice on the forum and met up with a lovely group of fellow pilgrims a few weeks ago in Exeter - many thanks to you all for this. It has felt good to be linked to people with a shared interest in our mutual and individual journeys. However as the time approaches I am feeling more apprehensive and am seeking reassurance.
My main concerns are: my lack of Spanish (apart from a few very basic phrases and greetings) and not having any way of connecting to the internet while I am in Spain. This means that booking accommodation in advance will be impossible for me. I plan to stay in mainly in Albergues but possibly with a few nights in private hostals/hotels. My last minute nerves are screaming at me to get onto Booking.com immediately and book and plan the whole trip in micro detail, but I am resisting this and want to have faith that I will find accommodation. Is this wise / and does it matter?
Any last minute advice/thoughts about this would be much appreciated. ( Also am I posting this on the right section of the forum?)
Lou

Hi
I leave home in England 12.00 tomorrow, and will start walking alone from Astorga to Santiago on Tuesday 7 October. I have allowed 15 days for this which should be enough time.
I have been preparing for several months, have already found a huge amount of helpful advice on the forum and met up with a lovely group of fellow pilgrims a few weeks ago in Exeter - many thanks to you all for this. It has felt good to be linked to people with a shared interest in our mutual and individual journeys. However as the time approaches I am feeling more apprehensive and am seeking reassurance.
My main concerns are: my lack of Spanish (apart from a few very basic phrases and greetings) and not having any way of connecting to the internet while I am in Spain. This means that booking accommodation in advance will be impossible for me. I plan to stay in mainly in Albergues but possibly with a few nights in private hostals/hotels. My last minute nerves are screaming at me to get onto Booking.com immediately and book and plan the whole trip in micro detail, but I am resisting this and want to have faith that I will find accommodation. Is this wise / and does it matter?
Any last minute advice/thoughts about this would be much appreciated. ( Also am I posting this on the right section of the forum?)
Lou

I have not been on the Camino yet so have nothing to offer other than Buen Camino Lou!

Thanks Mike.
Buen Camino for next year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
Lou

I walked in August through to the end of September this year from SJPdP to Santiago. never once did I fail to get a bed, from sleeping on a matress in the village hall to a private room. Did not call ahead to book and as for Spanish you quickly learn how to converse for your needs, no blisters what so ever either. So good luck and enjoy John

I walked in August through to the end of September this year from SJPdP to Santiago. never once did I fail to get a bed, from sleeping on a matress in the village hall to a private room. Did not call ahead to book and as for Spanish you quickly learn how to converse for your needs, no blisters what so ever either. So good luck and enjoy John
Thanks John. That is very reassuring.
Lou

My wife and I just got back today from our short time on the Camino. We stated in SJPP and ended in Leon. I must admit prior to departing for a year I have been on this site searching and reading all I could about the Camino. I was so excited to go and couldn't control my feelings. Now I must admit I am let down and just out right disappointed. The experience was not what I thought it would be. Actually I am not sure what I expected. I was thinking that the Camino would some how be magical. I kept reading that the Camino will provide, she always does. Again she did not for me. I had a book with me that I kept to read while on the Camino, a conversation with God. Good book worth reading. I know I was open to change and to life but it didn't come. So if this was just me then I wouldn't think about it but the same was for my wife. Why are we here doing this. I don't know was the answer.
I will say I met some very nice pilgrims had some great time with my wife laughing about Camino camping and the fact that we walked 200 plus miles. So maybe in time as we relive the Camino it will change in our minds.
Would I do it again the answer is Yes but differently.
May God bless you all and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.