• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

codex trial

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A Spanish court just found him guilty and sentenced him to ten years.

There are some articles in the French press; I haven't seen an English language article yet: Dix ans de prison pour le voleur du premier "guide" du chemin de Compestelle.

My rough translation of parts of the article:

"On Wednesday Spanish courts sentenced to ten years in prison the man who had stolen a manuscript dating from the 12th century, an invaluable codex known as the first guide to the Chemin du Compostelle.

Considered one of the jewels of Spain's cultural patrimony, the priceless 225-page incunable, also known as the Codex Calixtinus, was stored at the Cathedral of Compostelle until its theft in 2011.

It is composed of parchments describing the cult of the Saint James, and the tradition of the pilgrimage leading to the tomb of the apostle.

The man was convicted for stealing money and documents, and for one count of money laundering, for which his wife was also convicted.

The couple were also fined 268,000 euro.

He wrapped the codex in journal and a sack, then hid it in a box in his garage at Milladoiro, where the police finally retrieved it on July 4, 2012 in good condition, after a year-long high-profile investigation.

Attributed to the Pope Calixte II, the work is composed of five books. They contain his sermons, a recount of the miracles of St. James and the voyage of his dépouille mortelle (his "mortal skin?" I'm not sure how to translate this) from Jerusalem to Galicia, as well as a guide for pilgrims and a description of Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle and its cathedral.

Pope Calixte II contributed to the growth of the pilgrimage route in the Middle Ages. In 1122 he decided that each year in which the Feast of the Apostle, July 25, falls on a Sunday would be decried a Holy Year. The next one is in 2021."

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ha, mortal remains, of course! I was trying to be too literal, and all I could come up with was an image of St. James being peeled and his skin shipped to Santiago. Which didn't sound right, but there are odder medieval relics out there.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.