• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Considering 'French Way' with 2 daughters (9 & 10) in May

sallygardens

Hello :)
After a couple of tough years I've been looking for a meaningful trip to do with my two girls, something special for our little team in May. They are good little walkers. I think this walk might be the thing. I'm wondering how much accommodation costs per night, we'd be going the budget route, how much a decently filling no frills meal might cost us. We'd only have 1 or 2 weeks free but we could return to do legs of the route over the years. I understand the the first day of the walk is very challenging and I'm wondering if we should maybe skip this part although I don't like the idea of this for some reason. Although I'd also not want to put them off with a tough start.
Any thoughts very very welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is no real "first part." Start wherever is convenient for you. St. Jean Pied de Port is a fairly modern invention.

Albergues are six to twelve Euros per night per person, so for three of you, it may be more convenient and comfortable to stay in hostales, which are likely to be 25 to 30 Euro per night for your group.

Hi sallygardens!

The stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles is challenging. You can split it into 2 shorter days, either by going over the mountain route and stopping at the Orrison albergue, or going through the valley and staying in Valcarlos.

I've only ever done the latter. Valcarlos has a nice little albergue and a couple of hostals, bar, shop etc. It's pretty much half way to Roncesvalles, whereas Orrison is only about a third of the way there and still leaves a hard second day. The Valcarlos route isn't the 'iconic' climb over the mountain, but is still pretty and involves a fairly steep climb on day 2 to get out of the valley! It also includes a few kms walking along the roadside, unfortunately.

Falcon is right that hostals will be good value for your team, and many (but not all) are en suite. Albergues sometimes have private rooms as well, but don't expect that. If you do find one, take advantage of the washing and drying facilities, which are better than hostals as the albergues are designed for pilgrims!

A set evening meal in a bar/restaurant is usually about 10-12 Euros. I don't know if they do kids meals, but yours will probably want an adult portion with all the walking anyway. Breakfast of a croissant and drink will be a few Euros, and lunch can be done cheaply by getting a loaf and a packet of cheese, ham etc for a picnic. Very nice too.

Another starting point might be Pamplona, for example. It's fairly easy to get to, which is an advantage.

Keep us posted. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sally,

What a lovely idea. You say your girls are good little walkers. I think you need to remember that they are still little and mountains in Spain can be very steep..

Can I suggest that you get yourself a copy of John Brierly's guide and you will see that some sections are very steep indeed. I think way beyond what one could expect a ten year old to do.

An Aerlingus flight to Bilbao and bus on to Pamplona and then according to the time available and your speed you could walk to Logrono, Santo Domingo de Calzada or even Burgos and then bus back to Bilbao.

Weather in May can be very hot and the albergues get full early . I would agree with Falcon that booking ahead into hostales would be preferable. It also means that you can send you rucksacks ahead and carry only day bags.

The are two meals which work out very reasonable provided one keeps to the menu. Menu del Dia , which is served mid-day and pilgrims menu served about 8.pm. If you go a la carte prices go sky high. Both these meals cost between €8 and€10.
Good luck with all your preparations,

Lydia

P>S See Tyrrek got here before me. Sally if you are in the Dublin region and would like to meet up for a chat it might be help. Send me a pm if you would like to

Hi Sallygardens,
The youngest long distance walkers I met on the CF were two french girls of approx 8 and 12 who were walking with their dad. I met with them at Carrion de los Condes in mid April. This little troupe had started out the previous Autumn in Paris or Vezelay and had only taken a few days off for at Christmas to visit the maternal Grandparents. The family had lost their mother the spring before.
The little girl carried her own small pack with some of her stuff in it and her drinks for the day and dad packed the rest. She could walk 20km if needed and was very comfortable with 12-15km spread over the day. The family mostly seemed to stay in albergues where they were quite often given a room of their own or at least the corner bunks to create a little space of their own. Both girls were outgoing, physically fit and despite their recent loss the family seemed well adjusted and happy. The girls became the pets of each albergue they stayed in with every one keeping an eye on them and helping them with washing etc (it's not that the little one didn't happily do her laundry-it's just that she sometimes forgot to use soap :) ). I have no doubt they made it to Santiago.
Nell

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Amazing, Nell!

I bet these kids were able to speak a little bit of several different languages by the time they got to Santiago, and understood more about geography, agriculture, history etc. than they could ever learn in a classroom. Not to mention social skills, communication skills....

Keith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nell,

You are always so encouraging, putting heart into people. Whereas I, while trying to be helpful, always see the possibility of difficulties.

Would that there were more like you in the world.

regards,
Lydia

Lydia Gillen said:
The girls became the pets of each albergue they stayed in with every one keeping an eye on them and helping them with washing etc
Hello Sally,
Personally, I think that your are about to undertake what will prehaps be the most significant event of your lives! It is not going to be easy! There will be moments when you will say "what are we doing here. Why did I ever think to take my girls on such a journey, etc. etc. You may expect all kinds of weather in May (I have walked twice at that time of the year - the first time great, the second time very rainy).
I would suggest that, if you find the weather conditions adverse, or if the girls are tired, have foot or leg problems - or even you, yourself, then take a bus to what you consider the best next continuation point. I have an 8 year od grandaughter, who is also a great little walker too and, as we were walking with her last week (our daily 6 km circuit), I thought "how would Annie cope with a 12/15 km walk each day - day after day? I think she would manage - as long as I stayed tuned into her necessities! Your family will indeed become mascots of the Camino. You could save quite a lot of money by cooking in the albergue in the evening - and you will be quite sure that all your fellow pilgrims will hitch in and help! Be sure of that. There is an incredible fraternal feeling among Pilgrims! Make sure thart they already have their correct foot gear and that they already start fairly long walks over country tracks. Have them start a diary or Blog NOW, so that they can get into the spirit of what they are about to undertake! I wish you the very best of luck. Anne

Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Nell,
Whereas I, while trying to be helpful, always see the possibility of difficulties.
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Well actually attending mass and having dinner with you in Triacastela proved an inspiration. Hearing how you overcame illness and bravely kept going on through the mountains inspired Frances and and I and made us appreciate just how smooth our 'own road' had really been. So Lydia it was you who helped put a 'pep in our step' on the final leg of that Camino :D - thank you.

Nell

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For what it is worth, the Boy Scouts of America require youth to be at least 14 years old for most of their high adventure camps, including Philmont, where groups backpack and camp some very strenuous mountains for 11 days. The organization's general experience is that younger Scouts do not have the maturity or strength to keep up, and hold back the group. You know your daughters, and, of course, holding back a group is not really a consideration for a family, so you are in the best position to evaluate their abilities. Have fun!

I really applaud you wanting to do a meaningful trip with your daughters. Children that age usually respond well to trips with a specific goal or focus. Also camping trips where they have responsibility for certain chores really work well.

My concerns would be physical...are your girls real outside kids or do they come home from school and sit down all evening? I would suggest taking a weekend and doing an all day hike on Sat. and Sun. as sort of a test. Kids are not just small adults but they get hungry quicker and they get tired at different times.

Another part of this is interest. Are they interested in the historical sites or is the religious aspect interesting to them? What are they studying in school and how can this trip tie in with that. All of you do some studying of the Camino and the ask them what they would like to do...they do have a mind of their own...your goals and dreams are not theirs but you can be a team.

Not knowing your kids but familiar with children at that age, I would suggest that you combine some walking, short days, with visits to churches and other historical sites along the way. Maybe not try to do a week of walking straight trough like an adult would...walk a couple of days into a town, have a rest day seeing some of the sights, maybe catch a movie, then walk a couple of days again. Select a section of the Camino but then bus into Santiago to see the Cathedral. It is still a pilgrimage even if you don't walk a specific distance or time.

Just my thoughts.

Many, many, parents and children walk the pilgrimage routes. Mums and sons, Dads and daughters, whole families in all sorts of permutations. Often with children younger than yours. All of them beam with achievement and you can just tell how powerful the experience is to them. If you are walking the Camino Frances you have lots of options in terms of daily distances. Stamina will build for everyone. Go for it and enjoy.

It might also be helpful to look at this thread:

frequently-asked-questions/topic12470.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you everyone for your wonderful posts, really very inspiring :)
And very helpful information.

Yes my girls are fit and active, we live in rural Ireland so they are well used to outside life. We often go on long walks, over a few hours, and they run rings around me! They are also used to camping. I've actually decided to try and get to the first leg of the camino myself in May for a week and then to hopefully return with my girls in September for a week with them. Thats not set in stone by any means and actually reading your posts I'm thinking again maybe we should just have faith and go on this adventure without trying to figure it all out first, just go with the flow and see what happens.

And yes they are both very interested in nature, wildlife, drawing, geography ... full of questions! We are not religious, but spiritual.

I'm also wondering if I can afford to do it for the 3 of us (or then again, can I afford not to do it?!). I'm training in shiatsu massage and I wondered if I set out a camping mat on a grassy verge or hostal garden would other pilgrims avail of a one hour treatment, which might well pay for our nights accommodation.

All food for thought. I'll keep you posted.
And thanks so much again for your help, some of your posts made me feel very emotional.
x

Sallygardens:

Hello and welcome. What a great plan to walk with your daughters. I believe it will be a family trip you will all carry with you for the rest of your lives.

I would suggest you start in Sarria. This is only 117km. This would ensure that you get to Santiago and allow the girls and you plenty of time to really enjoy the walk. In Santiago you would be able to reconnect with other Pilgrims you met along the way and also receive a Compestala. If you still have time you might decide to take the bus to Finisterre.

That said, this is your Camino and you should do it however you choose.

Ultreya,
Joe

My husband and I walked from SJPP to Los Arcos with our 10-year-old son last year, and we'll be back this year if at all possible. As someone else mentioned happened, he kind of became the pet of the alberques (which he found terribly embarrassing). I think we got special treatment - I know we did in a few places. It was a wonderful experience.

My suggestion - do it with low expectations, by which I mean, be flexible. Don't set yourself up for frustration by planning certain distances - tired, whiny kids will not make things fun for anyone. Plan a few non-walking days. For example, we stopped just outside Pamplona, then walked about an hour (a very meandering, leisurely hour) into Pamplona and stopped again, treating ourselves to a hotel with a jacuzzi. You will quickly figure out what is just enough and what is too much for your family. I will say that if you want to start in SJPP, plan on stopping in Orisson. It's a hard climb up, and it doesn't get any easier. The downhill is somehow even worse. :shock:

Food and drink were big issues for us. Make sure you keep everyone well-hydrated and get used to tortilla bocadillos. If your kids are picky eaters, the pilgrims' meal is not always going to cut it. My son suffered in horror through Friday dinner in Roncevalles - potato soup, a fish with the head still on, and a pot of yogurt! Luckily, he ate lots of soup. A hungry young German guy at our table happily had his fish and yogurt. We bought fruit and granola bars almost every day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haven't had a chance to walk with kids myself, but became friends with many pilgrims who walked with their children. While walking, one thought I had was what a powerful and inspiring experience this could be for the kids and how much it can strengthen and shape their character and relationship with the parent. So, though it's not first-hand experience, I highly recommend! :) There's something nice about being able to start right at the beginning, and actually the first stretch into Navarre is beautiful. You can stop in Orisson, which means splitting the first long day into two. I did it myself, regardless of having kids with me or not, and it turned out to be a very good decision. In Orisson, I also met an Italian father and his two kids, and an American mom and her daughter, so that sounds like a good choice while walking with your daughters. If you decide to stay in Orisson, you may want to make reservations the night before since there isn't a lot of space (this is probably the only albergue where this could be an issue in May). When you check in at the SJPP pilgrims office, just let them know you want to stay in Orisson the next day and they'll call and make the reservation for you. I personally recommend staying in the tents-- they're very well kept, have thick mattress at the bottom that makes them feel very comfortable and create a great atmosphere for the beginning of the trip...and they're cheaper, too :)

Kudos on the effort...you're giving your daughters an experience they're going to benefit from and remember for life. I hope things turn out for the best for your little team :)

Buen Camino and good luck!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

For what it is worth, the Boy Scouts of America require youth to be at least 14 years old for most of their high adventure camps, including Philmont, where groups backpack and camp some very strenuous mountains for 11 days. The organization's general experience is that younger Scouts do not have the maturity or strength to keep up, and hold back the group.

I don't think you can compare a BSA High Adventure trip with a normal Camino trip. For a BSA High Adventure trip you need to carry all of your food (for at least a couple of days), all of your cooking stuff, parts of a tent, etc. Pack weights from 30 to 40 lbs
And since you are in a place with no marked roads and away from civilization that is where the maturity is needed.

We take younger scouts on day hikes of 10 to 12 miles, sometimes over rough roads. Granted the packs are very light (water, food, light jacket) but most younger scouts have no trouble if the regular precautions are taken. Keep and eye for Hydration, regular breaks, energy snacks, Proper clothing and foot wear.

I think your kids can do it, remember to do some pre-trip training and take it easy the first day. Then build up the pace as they get accustomed to the walks.

Good Luck.

I am starting at St.Jean Pied de Port with my 11 year old daughter in a couple of weeks – we are hoping to walk to Santiago and have 50 days to do it, so I will let you know how we go :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am constantly trying to interest my grand daughter in the Camino. I would leave her huge wall maps and send texts so that she can see whereI am.

Sally gardens and bussy bee I would love if you could get your children to post something on the form that would be an encouragement for other children.

Buen Camino to you all,

Lydia

We are walking the Camino with our adventurous children starting June 15th. They are 7, and twin 10 year olds, fit and reasonably happy with the concept. We are just going to go, stop when we need to and let them set the pace. We really want to carry as little as possible so they enjoy it the most, and are looking to get bags taken ahead on particularly difficult or long stretches. HAve been really surprised at how little info there is about traveling with kids on the trail. Anybody know of any great sources? We will have Hawaiian flags on our bags so keep an eye out for us:)

CBD and Busybee, great to hear of families with the same intention and very encouraging to hear from others who have come across families on the camino already.

Yes I've no big goals on distances just so long as we walk and enjoy ourselves, we get to where we get to and to us it would be more about the experience of the journey, the people we meet on the way, the memories we create together and the thoughts that rise in our minds.

I've been looking at maps and I like the Orisson 1st night idea. Looks like it could be June now before we can go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Our son was not quite 9 when we walked from Carrión de los Condes to Santiago (19 days) in 2005. He cried from exhaustion the first day, but from the third day on, he was running in front of us, talking to people, enjoying the landscapes and the food.

This year, he's almost 16 and looking forward to doing what will probably be his last ( and fourth) pilgrimage with his parents.

Hei Sally
This is so inspiring. I want to walk the camino i september 2013 and my two girs (13 and 16) are insisting om coming along with me. We re thinking one to two weeks to start, and there lies the problem; where start, weather ......I need some tips and advice. This trip is part of our healing process after two difficult years dealing with illness and family oppsets.
Siobhan

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back