• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Considering the plunge!

JasonR

Hi All,
I have rather unexpectedly ended up with quite a bit of time on my hands in August/September/October. I am very tempted by the Camino, my reservations are 1) I do not speak Spanish 2) I am not fit and carry a couple of half decent knee injuries 3) I have no specific reason for doing it other than a gut feeling it would be good for me 4) I do find the whole idea of it quite scarey regardless of the fact I have a rather robust background
I think what I am after is a little bit of a push.... I am rubbish :D
My message to all of you is that at present ,I feel very humbled when I see you all, some old, some lone ladies, some very young and some carrying all sorts of physical and mental burdens. I am a strapping 40 year old bloke and i am doubting I can do what all of you are doing or have done. But then I guess someone is just about to tell me that is the point ???? :arrow:
Kind Regards J

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My philosphy: PREPARE for the camino, and then do it. There is a chance that you might not get very far, but if you never try, you'll never know what your capacity is to achieve something really remarkable. Isn't it worth the chance?

Just do it.

lynne

Hi Jason,
Well done you made a public statement of intent on the forum, posted your reservations in a domain in which they are sure to be answered and reassurance given, pointed out that the Camino can be done by people whose challenges you consider outweigh your own and then made the affirmation that "I am a strapping 40 year old bloke".
Having nailed your pilgrim colours to the mast what intrigues me is your request to be 'pushed'-I'd say you've already been 'pushed' and by someone who knows you very well indeed.....yourself. :D
If you need another little 'push' have this one on me-don't worry about your knees Jason just strap them, use poles and keep to a pace that suits you.
(but I think you're actually in the water and swimming :lol: )

Nell

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jason,
i also think that your Camino has already started....
DON'T WORRY,PREPARE IT BY WALKING A BIT EVERY DAY, AND GO...
YOU're IN FOR A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE...
Giorgio

Dearest Lynn, Georgio and Nell,

Many thanks for your replies... I didn't think I would get any!

In this crazy busy world it seems crazy to do something like the Camino, but then again, is it crazy not to do it? :shock:

I think I have decided to avoid the Frances route this year so I think its between the Northern and Silver route. I love the idea of travelling from Seville but gosh it sure does sound a long way!
Well peeps if the mood takes you please keep in touch!
Kind Regards,
Jason

JasonR said:
3) I have no specific reason for doing it other than a gut feeling it would be good for me Kind Regards J
I imagine most of us start off with just such an inkling of a feeling that it might be a good thing to do..... and we and others wonder if we might be a little bit crazy but we jump in and do it anyhow.... Maybe going with a gut feeling is not so crazy after all?!
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just go for it! If you are thinking about it already, then you have to do it. Otherwise you would not have these thoughts!
On this Forum are a lot of people that can help you with all the questions you will have.
Enjoy your preparation! It is great to have this dream!

Let us now how you are doing.

Hi Jason, in making up you schedule consider the following
.August is VERY HOT on the Silver route (via de la plata)
.August is rather busy on the North route as the coast is a very popular beach vacation area
.In september the frances route starts to be less busy than summer months and on this route you'll have a much greater choice for overnight accomodation thus giving you more flexibility in terms of stage mileage...
One more thing comes to my mind...as you have a three month's window, couldn't you go for the whole shot and start in Le Puy /Vezelay/your home ?
Ciao from Italy
Giorgio

Hi Jason,
You do not say where you live but I started my 'pilgrimage' at Exeter cathedral in the U.K. Walked to Plymouth - 80+ kilometers, took ship to Santander and walked the Norte / Primitivo to Santiago. It was far, far more rewarding than I had imagined. If you can take 6 weeks in September / October it may be a more reasonable temperature. If I can walk 600k+ at 65 you should cope O.K.!
Do you really need a push out of the security of a 'nest' ?(thinking of momma eagle and all that!) Sounds more like you have already decided!! Go for it!

Blessings on your walking
Terry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jason,

The Camino could well be "the experience" you are looking for at this particular moment of your life. I was 46 years old when I did the Camino last year (June 25-July 31, 2009 from St. Jean Pied-de-Port). Though physically challenging, the Camino became ironically the most restful and peaceful days of my life. It cleared my mind and made me reflect about so many issues about my life. In the Camino, I encountered myself as I truly am. I became grateful for what I am in spite of many shortcomings.

As I have learned from this Forum, let the Camino guide you!The Camino has lots of surprises and most of them if not all, pleasant. It took me nine years before I actually decided to go. I am just so happy, that I did it. I still fondly reminisce the beautiful memories it brought me, the peace of walking alone, the magnificent scenery along the way, the moments of prayer or reflection, the pilgrim's blessings at the different churches in the evening, the food and the many heartwarming moments with people from different countries. I walked by myself but never felt alone because strangers I met along the way eventually became my friends. The encouraging support I received from them along the Camino is nothing short of a miracle! I hope to do the Camino again next year 2011 at about the same time! Courage, Jason and God be with you!

Peace,
Manny D

Continued thanks for all the advise and encouragement, i see a mention of shortcommings....ah I have many :shock:
Best wishes, Jason

Hi Jason, I to am planning on walking this year. I had looked into meeting some wonderful folks @ Gatwick,then going on with them to Biarritaz- StJean. The schedules were not working out for me to meet up with them,(my plane from NS Canada,would arrive as theirs would be leaving) :( so now I find myself wondering if I am really meant to do this! I am 55 and have been "training/thinking about", this for 7 years! :shock: So,don't second guess yourslf as I did,JUST DO IT!!! Life can always find things for us to do,(responsibiltes etc),Believe me,I have all kinds of excuses! :oops:
If you have the time and the $ get yourself up and go! Blessings for your journey! Nancy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Jason, When I heard that my 28 year old nephew was about to walk the Camino, I started thinking yes, I would love to do it too, but, but, but... Well he completed it in 28 days, rather rushing towards the end, in my opinion. He then came and visited us in Costa Rica and I started bringing up all the negative points about why it was not possibile for us - too far away, age (both of us over 65), not enough time, have to visit grandchildren when we are in Europe, etc. etc. He simply said "if you really want to do it - just do it" (and stop bringing up all these if's and but's). So we did! The first year was not possible to walk the whole Way (due to our previous already aranged programme to visit the grandchildren), so in 2007 we walked from Roncevalles to Nájera. In 2008 we returned to Nájera, picking up from where we left off and continued to Santiago. Last year 2009, we returned to Roncevalles and walked in 6 weeks to Santiago (by now 67 and 71 years of age). This year we return to be volunteers for the last two weeks of September at the Refugio Guacelmo. We will walk there from Leon and after completing our duties, family permitting, will continue to Santiago. The experience of walking the Camino cannot be fully understood by anyone who has not actually done it. I'm convinced of that. Just go for it. I 'm sure you won't regret it! Anne

Jason, everything you said in your introduction is EXACTLY the reason to do the Camino.

Once again many thanks to everyone for taking the time to pen me a few words of encouragement. To be honest I have had a bit of a tough time the last few years and when you feel like your back is against the wall and no one around cares you exist, to receive a few heart felt posts from strangers is a very lovely and powerful thing. To everyone, don't underestimate the importance of making an effort here on the forum, the consequences maybe life saving. Lots of love thx J :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jason,

FYI - many many people on the Camino are elderly. Many many people are unfit. The first day is your hardest and after that it's not a hard walk so much as one that requires endurance (of the spirit, which is its point and purpose). Endurance, yes, but not a high level of fitness.

One of the miracles of the road is that it doesn't matter whether you are a super fit mountain climber or a housewife who walks across the supermarket carpark - the camino levels everyone out. It was a great source of amusement to me watching the young fit guys stare in amazement at older less fit people who cover the same distance in the same few days. The camino is like that, one of the mysteries of the road.

As for not speaking Spanish - who on the Camino does?! It's a little international bubble of folk on the road who are so exhausted by the end of each day that good cultural intentions go out the window as we all settle for polite smiles and gentle navigation of a new world. You'll be amazed how far you can get with si, si, si.

September October is the BEST time to walk because you get to walk the turning season - you'll start with the trees green and then they'll turn orange and by the time you're heading into Galicia the leaves will be falling down around you. It's a truly beautiful time to go - with the added benefits of less crowds and cooler weather.

Ummmm, gut feeling is good. Go with your gut feeling.

All the best and for more info you could download my free ebook The 7 Secret Keys to Painless Pilgrimage at http://www.voyagermoon.com.au

I've also written a whole book on pilgrimage - My Pilgrim's Heart (you can get it online at http://www.voyagermoon.com.au) or in Australia at any bookshop.

Adios and bon camino!

Stephanie Dale
Author, My Pilgrim's Heart
http://www.voyagermoon.com.au

voyagermoon said:
September October is the BEST time to walk because you get to walk the turning season - you'll start with the trees green and then they'll turn orange and by the time you're heading into Galicia the leaves will be falling down around you. It's a truly beautiful time to go - with the added benefits of less crowds and cooler weather.

Stephanie Dale

What a delicious, enticing way to describe walking the Camino at this time of year! I leave for Spain in two weeks and will walk the Camino Frances for the first time, from mid-September through October, starting from SJPP and continuing to Finisterre and Muxia after Santiago. I've already been looking forward to the cooler weather and less crowds, but the thought of seeing the season change as I make my way is beautiful to contemplate. What fun it will be!

Thanks, Stephanie.

Rachel

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back