• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Construction on the pipeline near the Puerto de Pajares

peregrina2000

Staff member
I’ve gotten this news from a peregrina who has booked a night in the albergue in Llanos de Somerón.

This construction will make a complicated section a bit more complicated. To summarize before you plunge into the details — when you get to the Venta Casimiro (bar, still closed) at the Pajares Pass, the camino goes up behind the bar and takes you to a high point, from which you have to navigate down. This is where the construction is, but the official word is that you should continue to use this route and work around the construction. It will be visible where you need to go.

The other two options are not recommended — First, there is a narrow goat/sheep path that starts on the left side of the road in front of the former parador/current restaurant. Very narrow and unstable. Second, some decide to stubbornly remain on the side of the national highway, which at this point has virtually no shoulder and a lot of truck traffic coming up. This is really the only unpleasant part of the Salvador that I can think of. I have done all three routes and would definitely follow the official recommendation.

BEWARE OF THE PIPELINE WORKS!
Works are currently being carried out on the gas pipeline that affect the Camino del Salvador. The entrance to Asturias by the official way is a path that starts behind the "Venta Casimiro" bar (currently closed) on the top of Pajares (León-Asturias border). The path climbs a hill and enters in Asturias right where a high voltage line runs (which you can use as a reference). The works are compromising the visibility of the markings and the course of the trail at some points. We still recommend that you continue to walk that section because we consider that the alternatives (which we will comment below) carry other risks. After entering Asturias you have to go down a small valley until you cross the N630 road and continue along a forest track. It is usual all along the center of this small valley to be flooded, so we recommend that you zigzag down the slope to your right to avoid the water, until you reach the road.

The alternatives to avoiding works at this point are both dangerous. The first one is to go down approximately 1.5 km along the national road without enough space for walkers. The second alternative is to take a dangerous path that starts close to "El Parador" bar, and runs between the embankment of the road and a steep slope on the hillside until reaching the same forest track, already on the official way.

After continuing along this forest track, the path forks straight ahead and to the right towards Pajares town, and to the left directly to San Miguel del Río, without going through Pajares. You will find signs that indicate a provisional detour, which leads you to Pajares, to avoid the second section of works, as well as the warning of these works on the route to San Miguel. But if your destination in the stage is not Pajares, you should know that you CAN CONTINUE THROUGH THE LEFT FORK DIRECTLY TO SAN MIGUEL DEL RÍO, following the official path (with concrete milestones with shells) also shortening the distance to your destination. So, beyond the works, you can continue walking both options.

ATTENTION AT THE SECOND CROSSING
If you choose to the left at the first fork, about 3 km further down, you will find a crossroads with an information panel on the natural park about the fauna and flora of the Valgrande forest: you have to continue straight ahead and down towards San Miguel del Río and immediately pass by a drinking fountain marked with a yellow arrow. If you turn left, you leave the Camino del Salvador to enter the heart of the park. If you turn right, the Camino returns you towards Pajares town.

NEW TRAILS AVAILABLES!
The Camino del Salvador has changed its route in its way through Santa Marina, a village located 3 km before Chanos (Llanos in Asturian language). In addition, two other sections in our municipality have been enabled in 2021. The Serralta variant allows reaching the village of Fresneo through the mountains, avoiding the local road from Chanos to Fierros. The PR AS 99 route is a mountain path with a short ascent of medium difficulty, so it is advisable to face it with suitable equipment and footwear as well as good weather conditions. The second new alternative avoids the busy road between Villallana and Ujo, following the right bank of the Lena River to its confluence with the Aller River.

All these changes are not reflected in most guides. Don't get missed please! Consult all information. Click on the "pilgrims" tab on our website and get the tracks through the link on the map.

http://www.alberguecascoxu.es/Peregrinos/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one comfort that can be drawn in walking the highway is that the trucks coming up the hill are going so slowly that you have plenty of time to look the driver in the eye. On a couple of occasions I’ve stood with my legs against the barrier and my pack hanging over the void. It’s about 10 minutes of “fun” before you get to rejoin the “official” route

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think Ender has the seniority here but none of the three times I’ve taken that way did it feel like a full kilometre. My Fitbit did register the sort of heart rate that I would normally associate with a steep uphill climb though 😏

The one comfort that can be drawn in walking the highway is that the trucks coming up the hill are going so slowly that you have plenty of time to look the driver in the eye. On a couple of occasions I’ve stood with my legs against the barrier and my pack hanging over the void. It’s about 10 minutes of “fun” before you get to rejoin the “official” route
Agree with you here
The narrow path from the Parador even had a notice saying “dangerous” so that was a no no for us
The path behind the bar sounded like a real slog so that left the highway

We sat at the then open bar for quite a while to assess the level of traffic passing…it was almost negligible so off we went with just one truck passing us at a snails pace on the way up, taking less than ten minutes to reach the turnoff track
I think the authorities just have to cover themselves by not recommending going “off track” while pipe work is in progress.

We sat at the then open bar for quite a while to assess the level of traffic passing…it was almost negligible so off we went with just one truck passing us at a snails pace on the way up, taking less than ten minutes to reach the turnoff track
That’s two votes for the road from well-respected members! That’s a good idea to sit and watchthe traffic to see what the deal is, because if it’s a weekend, there will be far fewer trucks. I am wondering if my walk on the road was before the completion of an autovía (super highway), because the stream of trucks was relentless. As @Tincatinker says, though, because the grade up is so steep they are going very slowly, which gives a bit more protection.

I will also say that I know that many people routinely take the road option, because the official route goes up from the point where the road starts to go down, and then goes back down again, so it adds a bunch of elevation as well as a bit of distance to the more direct road option. But you’re right, @Annette london, no one in any official position is going to recommend that road!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think Ender has the seniority here but none of the three times I’ve taken that way did it feel like a full kilometre. My Fitbit did register the sort of heart rate that I would normally associate with a steep uphill climb though 😏
May I ask if you walked at the left side of the road, facing traffic?
I looked at this section of the road with Google streetview and it looked very dangerous and unplesant to me. No shoulder on the left side, you’re walking on the road. The right side had a bit of shoulder and most times you could walk beside the road. Traffic is driving faster going down of course, so maybe that side of the road is even more dangerous?

May I ask if you walked at the left side of the road, facing traffic?
I looked at this section of the road with Google streetview and it looked very dangerous and unplesant to me. No shoulder on the left side, you’re walking on the road. The right side had a bit of shoulder and most times you could walk beside the road. Traffic is driving faster going down of course, so maybe that side of the road is even more dangerous?
Always on the left facing the traffic. I might very occasionally switch to the right to place myself on the open side of a blind bend. An instance would be the road route descent from Cruz Ferro in adverse weather. That situation does not arise on the descent from Puerto Pajares. If you stick close to the railings you have every opportunity to see ascending vehicles as they approach and the drivers have every opportunity to see you. The "goat trail" alternative below the highway is, in my view, much more hazardous. On my last venture I could see from the railings that parts of it had fallen away.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve gotten this news from a peregrina who has booked a night in the albergue in Llanos de Somerón.

This construction will make a complicated section a bit more complicated. To summarize before you plunge into the details — when you get to the Venta Casimiro (bar, still closed) at the Pajares Pass, the camino goes up behind the bar and takes you to a high point, from which you have to navigate down. This is where the construction is, but the official word is that you should continue to use this route and work around the construction. It will be visible where you need to go.

The other two options are not recommended — First, there is a narrow goat/sheep path that starts on the left side of the road in front of the former parador/current restaurant. Very narrow and unstable. Second, some decide to stubbornly remain on the side of the national highway, which at this point has virtually no shoulder and a lot of truck traffic coming up. This is really the only unpleasant part of the Salvador that I can think of. I have done all three routes and would definitely follow the official recommendation.

BEWARE OF THE PIPELINE WORKS!
Works are currently being carried out on the gas pipeline that affect the Camino del Salvador. The entrance to Asturias by the official way is a path that starts behind the "Venta Casimiro" bar (currently closed) on the top of Pajares (León-Asturias border). The path climbs a hill and enters in Asturias right where a high voltage line runs (which you can use as a reference). The works are compromising the visibility of the markings and the course of the trail at some points. We still recommend that you continue to walk that section because we consider that the alternatives (which we will comment below) carry other risks. After entering Asturias you have to go down a small valley until you cross the N630 road and continue along a forest track. It is usual all along the center of this small valley to be flooded, so we recommend that you zigzag down the slope to your right to avoid the water, until you reach the road.

The alternatives to avoiding works at this point are both dangerous. The first one is to go down approximately 1.5 km along the national road without enough space for walkers. The second alternative is to take a dangerous path that starts close to "El Parador" bar, and runs between the embankment of the road and a steep slope on the hillside until reaching the same forest track, already on the official way.

After continuing along this forest track, the path forks straight ahead and to the right towards Pajares town, and to the left directly to San Miguel del Río, without going through Pajares. You will find signs that indicate a provisional detour, which leads you to Pajares, to avoid the second section of works, as well as the warning of these works on the route to San Miguel. But if your destination in the stage is not Pajares, you should know that you CAN CONTINUE THROUGH THE LEFT FORK DIRECTLY TO SAN MIGUEL DEL RÍO, following the official path (with concrete milestones with shells) also shortening the distance to your destination. So, beyond the works, you can continue walking both options.

ATTENTION AT THE SECOND CROSSING
If you choose to the left at the first fork, about 3 km further down, you will find a crossroads with an information panel on the natural park about the fauna and flora of the Valgrande forest: you have to continue straight ahead and down towards San Miguel del Río and immediately pass by a drinking fountain marked with a yellow arrow. If you turn left, you leave the Camino del Salvador to enter the heart of the park. If you turn right, the Camino returns you towards Pajares town.

NEW TRAILS AVAILABLES!
The Camino del Salvador has changed its route in its way through Santa Marina, a village located 3 km before Chanos (Llanos in Asturian language). In addition, two other sections in our municipality have been enabled in 2021. The Serralta variant allows reaching the village of Fresneo through the mountains, avoiding the local road from Chanos to Fierros. The PR AS 99 route is a mountain path with a short ascent of medium difficulty, so it is advisable to face it with suitable equipment and footwear as well as good weather conditions. The second new alternative avoids the busy road between Villallana and Ujo, following the right bank of the Lena River to its confluence with the Aller River.

All these changes are not reflected in most guides. Don't get missed please! Consult all information. Click on the "pilgrims" tab on our website and get the tracks through the link on the map.

http://www.alberguecascoxu.es/Peregrinos/
I looked back at the day and it seems I walked the recommended section by the power lines, as did the other pilgrims I met in the albergue that night. What I chiefly remember is that having descended to the road that you cross , which seemed to be under some sort of construction, if I remember correctly, I accidentally stepped in mud up to my knees. Not the most pleasant experience. I was able to rinse most of it off a bit later, after another descent, in a cattle trough that had water running through it. The other pilgrims had also gotten a bit muddy there, but none had been as deep in the mud as I.

The "goat trail" alternative below the highway is, in my view, much more hazardous.
Tincatinker, just wondering if you have ever walked the official route. It goes up from behind the Venta Casimiro, up to a cell phone tower or electric pylon or some metal contraption, and then goes down again and deposits you at the exact spot where you turn off the road and start down on the path.

It is annoying because it’s just an up and down to avoid that stretch downward, but there’s no doubt it’s safer.

It’s too bad that the goat path has eroded so much, because that was what I did on my first Salvador and it was great.

Tincatinker, just wondering if you have ever walked the official route. It goes up from behind the Venta Casimiro, up to a cell phone tower or electric pylon or some metal contraption, and then goes down again and deposits you at the exact spot where you turn off the road and start down on the path.

It is annoying because it’s just an up and down to avoid that stretch downward, but there’s no doubt it’s safer.

It’s too bad that the goat path has eroded so much, because that was what I did on my first Salvador and it was great.
I did walk it once, 2014. I found the descent down a heavily eroded gully very unpleasant. A subtle combination of mud and loose rock. At one point I assumed I'd missed the "official" trail (I may indeed have) but I met the road opposite the turn-off.

I would agree that that trail is safer, in that it avoids traffic, though that is offset because you do have to cross the road twice to follow it.

Edit: I just spent an hour on Godgle maps and a couple of other resources looking for alternatives. None I can find without boots on the ground. Godgle Earth seems to suggest I did manage to go astray in 2014 because the route seems straightforward enough. From the Venta on an established track up to a Pylon, throw a left along a distinct path to a second pylon, descend left to the road by the conspicuous "Escape route /Sand Trap" Rampa de Saso. I was looking for an alternative direct route to San Miguel del Rio from somewhere before the Colegiata de Santa María for those not stopping in Pajares but I see that Ender and his compañeros have, I think, done their level best to create a viable route through an awkward corner.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I think the official path is what I did last summer. I didn't find the descent so bad. Certainly not as bad as the descent after the Hospitales route on the Primitivo or as bad as my memory of the descent to Molinaseca on the Frances (although I had bad knees for that part, which may colour my memories). There was a deceptive and deep puddle where it crosses the road, but the path to the road wasn't so bad.

Of course, my general memories of the Salvador and the Primitivo was that nothing was as challenging as I had feared.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back