• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santigo may/june 2014

Patrick40600

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances by bicycle May 2014
I am planning on riding the Camino Frances end May 2014. I plan to tow a single wheel trailer. Have you any experience, recommendation ? Does somebody do the same trip at this time ? :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look at some clips on utube, lots of tips and clips from the camino there, I am cycling The last 300 km in mid May so will update u then, b
Good luck

I never see those trailers outside of the states. I would not recommend it

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning on riding the Camino Frances end May 2014. I plan to tow a single wheel trailer. Have you any experience, recommendation ? Does somebody do the same trip at this time ? :D
I set out to ride on the road, but rode on the trail itself when I could see no suitable road. I advise you to stick to the road, however far it wanders away from the trail. I described one section at the time as impossible uphill, difficult on the flat and dangerous downhill. You may be riding a mountain bike, but I would still recommend the road, given that you are pulling a trailer.

Ok, last answer was short because I can't type on a phone.

Search this forum for lots of info. Personally, we ride mt bikes on the trail, with just small rear panniers which weigh full what a trailer weighs empty. They are easy to carry on a plane, carry up stairs etc.

The trail of the Frances is world class wonderful mt biking while the roads are mediocre road touring.

Ok, last answer was short because I can't type on a phone.

Search this forum for lots of info. Personally, we ride mt bikes on the trail, with just small rear panniers which weigh full what a trailer weighs empty. They are easy to carry on a plane, carry up stairs etc.

The trail of the Frances is world class wonderful mt biking while the roads are mediocre road touring.

Thank you for these advices. I usually ride my mountain bike with rear panniers for journey of about one week. This time it will takes me at least a couple of weeks. I've bought a Bob Yak like trailer and I will test it around before to go. I see more and more trailers of this kind in south west of France and I wanted to try. I'll keep you informed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
my gear for a week is no different from my gear for six weeks

I have ridden the great divide and western transCanada trail with several people with trailers. Every one of them now tour with panniers. trailers were the rage on the great divide a few years ago, now they are less than 10%.

On the other hand, I have a friend on the fire department who bike commutes with all his gear in a BOB trailer. It works great for that, it is just places like the Camino where they really are awkward.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back