• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling SJPP to Roncesvales

raycanuck

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2025 Camino Frances
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees):

1) how long did it take you?

2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees?

3) what type of bike (mountain, hybrid, other)?

4) did you decide to continue beyond Roncesvales on Day 1, and if so, to where?

5) would you recommend to walk day 1 and begin biking from Roncesvales?

6) any advice for Day 1? post-day 1?

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees):

Thanks!
I should add that we are guys in our late 50s in good physical shape.

Thanks.

The Napoleon route is the walking route. Cyclers take the N-135 through Valcarlos. Most cyclers continue after Roncesvalles. They ask for a stamp, have a drink at the bar and go on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Napoleon route is the walking route. Cyclers take the N-135 through Valcarlos. Most cyclers continue after Roncesvalles. They ask for a stamp, have a drink at the bar and go on.
Good to know, unfortunately some cyclists ignore this advice.

I saw cyclists on the Napoleon route in 2019, including one who was receiving medical attention after a spectacular reverse somersault while trying to cycle up the steep part that cuts out the road just below Orisson.

Thanks!

I have seen videos and heard of many cyclists using the napoleon route. Wasn’t aware it was only for walkers as I haven’t seen any notice or rule to that effect.

Anyone else who can advise if cyclists are officially confined to Vallcarlos route?

I don't believe there are any "rules" limiting your use of a bike on the Napoleon. That being said, I would only do it with a very sturdy mountain bike, there are several spots that would require some experience handling rough terrain and the downhill to Roncesvalles could be done on the roadway to the right; I definitely would not take the forest path. The N-135 is not heavily trafficked and would be a very safe alternative, it has some spectacular switch backs on the way up and down the mountain reminiscent of the TdF. It is only 75 km to Pamplona!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks!
I’ve been over the Route Napoleon twice, once on a folding bike (very difficult) and more recently on a mountain bike (almost easy). There is no designation that I am aware of that the RN is not for cyclists, nor have I ever come across advice to avoid it. Lots of people on bikes. However, that said, I wouldn’t attempt it in bad weather.
@DoughnutANZ mentions the steep section before Orisson. Easily avoided - stay on the road.
Last year, at age 78, I was concerned about my physical ability to make the crossing. I split the journey into 2, riding as far as Croix de Thibault on the first day without my bag, then free-wheeled back to my accommodation in SJPdP. The second day took the shuttle back to the Croix with my bags and proceeded to Espinal. No problems, bu note that the weather was clement (late May).

Riding the Camino in 2022 I got my self a bit worked up over this climb, so much so that for the first & only time ever I used the pack transport service to Roncesvalles. Suffice to relate that the ride up (road) was pretty easy but then I had to wait three hours for my luggage before continuing to Pamplona. I've heard that the high road is easy enough in good weather. Here is my journal for what it's worth. Richard

We took our tandem over the Napoleon route in 2017, carrying it where necessary once we left the asphalt. You need a sturdy frame, chunky tyres and a willingness to give way to walkers and push/carry the bike over boulders and between rocks close to the border.
Walkers will likely not be expecting to encounter cyclists. You need a loud bell and to use it repeatedly! In particular I would suggest you dismount and push for the single track sections (eg immediately after the first Col), for your own safety and that of walking pilgrims of which there may be many.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We cycled Monday, male 66 hip replacement 6 months ago, female 52. Cold, windy but sunny. Carrying full paniers including tent and stove. Pushed maybe 3km. Took 6.5 hrs to camp site at urrobi. Touring bikes. Day 2 to pamplona easy on the road. Day 3 stayed mostly on camino, some tough pushing. Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Riding the Camino in 2022 I got my self a bit worked up over this climb, so much so that for the first & only time ever I used the pack transport service to Roncesvalles. Suffice to relate that the ride up (road) was pretty easy but then I had to wait three hours for my luggage before continuing to Pamplona. I've heard that the high road is easy enough in good weather. Here is my journal for what it's worth. Richard

Thanks for sharing.

The luggage transfer over the Pyrenees sounds interesting but was surprised by the 3 hour delay. Was that the earliest you could have the luggage transferred to Roncesvalles or was there a delay? What was the name of the company?

There are luggage transfer services all the way along the CF with plenty of info on this forum. The main service in SJPDP is ExpressBourricot, all the info is on their website. Presumably they don't expect peregrinos to reach Roncevalles much before midday and you're not allowed in to the albergue until later anyway. Then it's downhill (mostly) to Pamplona so easy ride in one day. Enjoy Richard

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone for your advice.
Hi,
just to give a little perspective on things. this isn't a recommendation just simply some additional information.
2019 myself plus one (one of us just under 50 and one just over) set out from SJPP early Oct'19 at about 6pm - wasted half an hour getting lost and arrived at Orrison at last light. it took us just under 7 days from start to finish on MTBs carrying all our kit on our backs (plus a small saddle bag) and we stuck to the walking route - where walking routes followed the roads we took the foot path. tough yes, but we were blessed with perfect weather and had no 'bads'.
doing the same again this September - seriously looking forward to it.
my only recommendation would be to strongly recommend having a bell if you're going to be on any of the walking routes.
Buen Camino all.

sorry - you were talking SJPP to Roncesvalles. as above we stopped at Orrison so we split the ride in two. this year we're looking at hitting it in one go. I believe it took us circa 3.5 hrs last time - as we'll be doing in one hit this time I suspect a good 4 hours is more realistic this time - however I'll be a little brave here and suggest I'm better suited to climbs than many / most?

ExpressBourricot starts at 10 am in SJPdP and the luggage is between 10.30 and 11 am in Roncesvalles; they deliver the luggage in a locked area. The hospitaleros are busy cleaning in the morning, so you cannot pick-up the luggage before 2 pm when the albergue officially opens, after the lunch of the hospitaleros.

Hi,
just to give a little perspective on things. this isn't a recommendation just simply some additional information.
2019 myself plus one (one of us just under 50 and one just over) set out from SJPP early Oct'19 at about 6pm - wasted half an hour getting lost and arrived at Orrison at last light. it took us just under 7 days from start to finish on MTBs carrying all our kit on our backs (plus a small saddle bag) and we stuck to the walking route - where walking routes followed the roads we took the foot path. tough yes, but we were blessed with perfect weather and had no 'bads'.
doing the same again this September - seriously looking forward to it.
my only recommendation would be to strongly recommend having a bell if you're going to be on any of the walking routes.
Buen Camino all.

sorry - you were talking SJPP to Roncesvalles. as above we stopped at Orrison so we split the ride in two. this year we're looking at hitting it in one go. I believe it took us circa 3.5 hrs last time - as we'll be doing in one hit this time I suspect a good 4 hours is more realistic this time - however I'll be a little brave here and suggest I'm better suited to climbs than many / most?
Thanks for the great info. I’d be interested in your report on your September 2024 cycling trip, if possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ExpressBourricot starts at 10 am in SJPdP and the luggage is between 10.30 and 11 am in Roncesvalles; they deliver the luggage in a locked area. The hospitaleros are busy cleaning in the morning, so you cannot pick-up the luggage before 2 pm when the albergue officially opens, after the lunch of the hospitaleros.
Thanks for the details. I’m afraid that the timing is not ideal if one wishes to continue beyond Roncesvalles on day 1.

Thanks for the details. I’m afraid that the timing is not ideal if one wishes to continue beyond Roncesvalles on day 1.
Well, it is what it is .... the hospitaleros really need their time for cleaning the dormitories and bathrooms, and have a coffee-break and lunch.
99,9% of the transported luggage is from walking pilgrims, they do not arrive in the morning ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there! I have walked el Camino Frances twice as well as el Camino Portugues and el primitivo. I wanted to walk el Camino Del Norte this summer, but have a foot injury that is flaring up and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back