• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Death of American pilgrim in Castromaior today

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the Camino with his wife.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the Camino with his wife.

This was my husband. So many thanks to all of my fellow pilgrims who stopped to help and to pray and to translate for me.
He was doing what he loved.
Thank you for the news article link.

This was my husband. So many thanks to all of my fellow pilgrims who stopped to help and to pray and to translate for me.
I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope that you are getting the support that you need.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Difficult time. Take care of yourself

My condolences to you and your family.

God bless you, may he rest in peace.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so sorry for your loss. It must have been a terrible shock, but as you so honestly put "he was doing what he loved" ... & you were by his side. So glad you got some support & comfort from your fellow pilgrims. Sending warm Irish hugs your way. Ar dheis De go raibh a-anam. 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am very sorry for your incredible loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss!

I’m so sorry, thoughts and prayers to you and your family. How wonderful to have pilgrims around to help and pray xxx

Thoughts and prayers to you and your husband.

I am so very sorry for your loss and the way you gracefully let us know you hear us, questions, concerns in this community way. I send you an embrace in the loss of your husband, your fellow pilgrim. I know you will find pilgrims here who will gladly complete with you when you are ready. Much caring sending your way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So very sorry for your loss.

Really sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you.

My sincere condolences .- may your husband rest in peace.
I am glad that you were not alone and had other pilgrims to rally around and support you. May God bless.

Suaimhneas siorraí da hanam and that you get the courage for your future. Rip
Máire

I'm so very sorry to hear of your husband's passing. May you find peace in the coming weeks ahead.

Love and blessings to you. May the fact that he was on his pilgrimage at the time of his passing continue to bring you and your loved ones much comfort 🙏🏼

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am so sorry for your loss. Much love from this pilgrim to you and your family.

All blessings and comfort to you. I'm so glad you felt supported on the trail, and that your husband was doing what he loved.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope that you are getting the support that you need.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you have all the support that you need. If it's any consolation, as you said he was doing what he loved.
🙏

I am so sorry. I agree though with whoever said it is not a bad way to go. Hope I am out walking somewhere when I breathe my last breath. RIP Pilgrim.

How lucky to be doing what you love with the one you love. But so difficult for you. My thoughts and prayers go out to you!

€83,-
“The Lord bless and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.”

I am so sorry for your great loss. I hope that you get all the support you will need in order to get him and you back to your families. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Oh @BHP I'm so sorry for your loss.
May your husband Rest In Peace.
Best wishes and prayers through this difficult time...

€83,-
I am so sorry for your loss. May the Camino’s eternal reach (feel however this is meaningful for you) comfort you and your dear ones, holding you all close in love. God bless, Catherine.

Very sad by this news. Be strong and do take care.
May his soul rest in peace and may he rise again in Glory - I fought the good fight and I kept my faith

I will light a candle for you.
May you feel God in all the people that are surrounding you right now.

May you be filled with peace and good memories....please take care of yourself in this challenging time and do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

Thinking of you and your family.

He was a wonderful man who was beloved by his wife and children and missed by all who knew him.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, may he Rest In Peace.

So sorry for your loss. May your husband’s memory always be a blessing 🙏💐

So sorry for your loss. May your husband rest in peace and you find the support you need.

Many blessings to you, have been thinking of you since this was announced. You are embraced by a worldwide community of Peregrinos, may you find comfort and peace. Buen Camino to both of you.

My wife and I arrived on the tragic scene while you and several pilgrims were bravely trying to resuscitate your husband. Our thoughts go out to you, and we have dedicated the rest our Camino hike to you and your husband. We are finishing for you in spirit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My deepest condolences on your loss. May his memory always be a blessing.

So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

€46,-
My condolences to you and your family.

€83,-
My sympathies for his wife and family.This hits home being a 64 year old male myself.
While 65 is much too young, my greater fear is ever getting old enough to require being placed in a senior home.
That would be truly hell for me.
Going with my boots on is my preference, be it on a Camino or my motorcycle versus being in a seniors home or hospital hooked up to tubes or monitors with dementia.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

Many prayers lifted your way. A patient of mine was recently hit and killed in central Kansas USA training for a Camino.

I'm so sorry. Love to you and your family. 💜

I am also 65 getting ready to leave with my wife for SJPdP and our second Camino. This sure hit home with me and my heart full of love and compassion goes out to you and your family. God bless you all.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BHP and family please receive my deepest condolences on the loss of your husband. Grateful that he was doing what he loved. May you receive comfort and support during the days ahead. May his soul rest in peace.

RIP how very sad. Prayers for him and his wife.

I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope you get the help you need to get home safely and may your husband’s memory be a blessing for the rest of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My sincere condolences. Treasure all the happy memories.

🙏💜💙🙏

We enfold you in the warm embrace of this community of fellow pilgrims. May you get home safely and may your memories of the Caminos you've walked together become treasures that keep him alive in your heart.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My thoughts and prayers go to his wife and family. RIP.

I am so sorry. God bless you and your family and may your husband rest in peace.

So very, very sorry to hear of your loss. My heartfelt condolences and prayers for you and your family.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May he rest in peace and may you be granted peace and comfort.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have got my leave. Bid me farewell,
my brothers! I bow to you all and
take my departure
Here I give back the keys of my
door--and I give up all claims to my
house. I only ask for last kind words
from you.
We were neighbors for long, but I
received more than I could give. Now
the day has dawned and the lamp
that lit my dark corner is out. A sum-
mons has come and I am ready for
my journey.

GITANJALI
RABINDRANATH TAGORE

If I recall, it is a pretty steep and steady hill all the way from Portomarin to Castromaior.
I now skip Castromaior. It is quicker and less hilly to stay on the road after Gonzar and stay Straight to the T in the road, cross over the highway, make a left and you rejoin other pilgrims as they make a right on there way to Ventas de Naron. When you get to T there are camino signs there.

My condolences to the pilgrim’s wife. Has to be a devastating experience away from home.

Impossible to even begin to understand how you must be feeling. I hope that you have the support needed, sending my thoughts, condolences and hugs.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

My condolences to the pilgrim’s wife, May he RIP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back