• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December Camino

Angus137

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I completed the Camino Frances in March 2018 from SJPDP and hope to persuade my work to let me have another month off next year, 2023 but feel that it will be easier to do so if I go in December - I am thinking Podiensis, del Norte or de la Plata

I am not so bothered by bad weather but would like bars and pilgrims' hostels to be open and some company on the way - I would be very grateful for your opinions and recommendations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a winter camino list online here that is very helpful. It is updated regularly, but only available during the winter months. When you are ready to start, send a note to the forum or look for it posted here and that will be a big help. Also several apps available and the Gronze.com website can augment your list.

Hi @Angus137 , I can't really talk about the other routes in winter apart from the Frances which in this year will probably get back or just surpass the 2019 pre pandemic amount of pilgrims walking it in Winter. You will know what the weather is like, when you walked in march you might have had worse conditions than December walkers. I have walked several Caminos in December now, not a full one but 1-3 week sections, the weather can be mixed from proper awful with driving freezing rain to relatively mild days when I wish I had brought my shorts, definitely windy days when I have encountered 1-2 day periods of crazy storm force winds which have happened once to many times to say they were a one off, but a definite feature of December walking.
There is Albergues opening and has been a very kindly drawn up list of open Albergues in winter by a woman from Fromista which usually gets put on here. I have not had a problem with accommodation in the festive/new year period, but that could be due to usually being in galacia by the 24th December when it just like there is more of all types of accommodation to be had. There is always people on the Frances and the closer you get to Sarria you will encounter Spanish groups who do the last stages every year, it is their way of their pilgrim groups of coming together and socializing ,there is birthday events at the same stages every year. If you don't like that thing and want somewhere quiter then that's easy to do as well.
I'm hoping to do the full CF again this year
in December but it is dependent on a lot of health issues clearing.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a winter camino list online here that is very helpful. It is updated regularly, but only available during the winter months. When you are ready to start, send a note to the forum or look for it posted here
The list of winter albergues is maintained at the site mentioned in this thread, which is pinned to the top of the Camino Frances forum. Note that the list is not available at the moment but will be put up on that site around November 2022.

I love walking in December. I went from Pamplona to Villafranca del Bierzo in 2021 - I found that Aprinca website not to be helpful. Things were open that were not on the list, and that can affect decision-making, and things were closed that they said were open - also not helpful. Use Booking Dot Com or just call ahead. It's doable. And yes, the weather is every season in a day.

Most read last week in this forum

Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...
There are some minor (and good) changes in the new Pilgrim Credential. 1. The credential now includes a QR code to scan, which will take you to the Registration webpage. Very handy, as you are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.