• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deodorant/ funky smells en route?

ZacM

I have not read anything really about deodorant or ways of keeping smells to a minimum... Do you use deodorant? I feel as if it will just be unnecessary weight! Anything in response would be greatly appreciated!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At this time, its something I find impossible to imagine not bring deodorant. However, I've read here that some people's bodies adjusted and they had no problems with smell. On the other hand, some have bad BO and some just never stink lol.

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

Certainly not unnecessary weight!
That said, I use baking soda instead of deodorant - but at least I do not stink!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm one of the bad BO people, sadly :( -- when you're one of these, deodorants just make things worse (the whiff of ineffective deodorants being chemically destroyed by overpowering BO is unbearable).

Unless you're like me, then normally, keeping your things clean and washing the sweat and etc out in the public fountains found in the pueblos along the way is enough, and you'll find enough interesting smells along the way that your own will mostly be unnoticed.

Pope Francis says that the pastor should smell like his sheep, and something similar is true of the pilgrim and the Camino !!!

You WILL become accustomed to the ubiquitous odour of people's feet, though ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

The deodorant is up to you, but it's frequent to see people quickly jettisoning theirs after a few days walking. They do nothing to stop the sweating ...

I think most people carried deodorant whatever forum packing lists might say. People generally like to have a good clean up after a sweaty or wet or tiring day on the trail!
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use unperfumed antiperspirant in its most concentrated form - 3B Neat Cream - it's marketed as an anti-chaffing cream. Yes, I know that means aluminium hydroxide but I don't care. It works, and because it is concentrated it does not weight too much. And it is also useful to stop chaffing, lol.
Can't stand bike riders in Lycra.... Phew!

I cant see deodorant working too well here... I would think it wears off in a few hours of walking just like when you go work out. I wouldn't apply it right before I would go play sports, why would I apply before getting ready to hike for 8 hours?

Either way I will stink to high Heaven! I would think the deodorant is all in your head... This is coming from someone who is very aware at his state of smell at all times haha

I was wondering this, too. On my last hike I took it and it made absolutely no difference, everyone still stunk! The good thing is that because everyone stinks equally no one really notices. At least not until you get to a town.

Having said that, I still can't imagine not taking it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take a small deodorant and replenish along the way as required. Your fellow pilgrims will thank you.....you will thank you!! I tried it without for a while and I didn't enjoy the result! lOL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Re: Deodorant/ funky smells en route?

JohnMcM said:
Have you tried Wright's Coal Tar Soap? No kidding, it works.
Huh...

I may have to look into that. What did you guys do for washing your clothes? Something tells me just a bar of soap may not clean my socks enough to prevent from getting foot fungus and such...

GRe: Deodorant/ funky smells en route?

You can buy travel size deoderant at the pharmacy that weighs almost nothing. This year I smashed my fragrance free deoderant into a small plastic jar.

When you arrive in SJPP, buy a bar of Fels Naptha or some other hand washing soap. Split it between several pilgrims. It is made to wash in cold water by hand and does an excellent job.

Tip. Buy dark socks. White won't stay white long. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Re: GRe: Deodorant/ funky smells en route?

Tip. Buy dark socks. White won't stay white long. :)[/quote]

I bought brown :p

It will be a battle for me... I get particular on my smell. Even camping (if for a short time) I try to wear clean clothes as much as I can! I know smell will be there no matter what... OWELL!!!

I would rather smell the smell of other people's fresh sweat than the smell of deodorant. Sometimes the refugios smelt so strongly of deodorant, perfume and Deep Heat that the air was thick and I had to sleep outside because the air quality was so bad. Deep Heat in particular is choking, if people have to use it they should put it on outside, but many people don't bother so the dormitory stinks of it for ages instead.

You can't really smell other people when walking in the fresh air, so just have a shower when you arrive at the hostel with a little soap and there is no problem.

skilsaw said:
Shower and wash clothing daily and you will arrive in Santiago sweet as a rose.
I agree with "Skilsaw" - given that you will be walking on average over 15ks a day at least, surely one of the best things to look forward to at the end of your smelly or otherwise day is a nice cleansing shower - so pardon the pun, you really shouldn't "sweat" the small stuff!
Buen Camino to everyone walking right now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMHO, it is not the pilgrim who smells bad. It is the pilgrim´s sweaty laundry that smells bad. I am forever amazed at the people who zealously clean and wash their bodies, then put their unwashed clothes back on... sometimes the same clothing they´ve worn for DAYS. It does not occur to them to wash their clothing!

When this happens in my house I often sweep up the offending garments while the person is in the bath, and start the load of laundry just as they are emerging from the shower. (I use hypoallergenic soap, btw. We keep extra robes and yoga pants and t-shirts around here for people who are doing all their laundry at once, or who are treating all their things for bedbugs.)

I know this is passive-aggressive and manipulative, but it serves the greater good. This person is going to sleep in one of my beds in those clothes, after all... And so far, not a soul has raised an objection.

Why does mouldy cheese smell like feet?
Or, in other words,
Why do feet smell like mouldy cheese?

That, and the other mysteries of life for you to contemplate as you make your pilgrimage on the Camino.

Rebekah Scott said:
When this happens in my house I often sweep up the offending garments while the person is in the bath, and start the load of laundry just as they are emerging from the shower. (I use hypoallergenic soap, btw. We keep extra robes and yoga pants and t-shirts around here for people who are doing all their laundry at once, or who are treating all their things for bedbugs.)

I'm always very grateful when Hospitaleros or Hospitaleras do this sort of thing, but the opposite is also possible, those providing obstruction rather than help towards getting rid of the after-effects of a particularly long and sweaty hike ... :(

Oh, and say hi to the Toad BTW, maybe I'll meet you both next year or something...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back