Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Devastated

MaWinMex

Oct 20, 2014
Retired expat in Chapala, Mexico
Time of past OR future Camino
I am devastated.
In preparation for my long-anticipated Camino pilgrimage, scheduled to begin from SJPDP 9 days from now, a month ago I was hiking 5+ miles a day, walking rapidly for maximum aerobic effect, with no problem, and feeling more fit every day.
Today I couldn’t walk from the bed to the bathroom without a total loss of breath. Putting on my hiking boots required a 10-minute recovery.
When I first started noticing these symptoms, I immediately entered a state of denial, which only ended this morning. I kept telling family, friends, and myself that everything was copacetic, no problem, good to go. As the symptoms became increasingly severe, I finally had to let my wife know what was going on. But I was still determined to soldier on, declaring that even if I had to walk 100 yards, rest, and repeat for 500 miles, then that's what I would do. This morning I finally gave up, and am waiting for a call from the Labor Day weekend on-call doctor to figure out what's going on and what to do. As I wait, I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment.
Whatever this turns out to be, and whatever the solution, I'm more determined than ever not to let the dream die.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Sorry to hear that! Hope it turns out to be nothing serious! Hold your fire cancelling things until you have a clear idea what is going on and yes - Buen Camino (either this time or next!) SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Oh, my. Your Camino has begun, but not how you might have thought.
I'm sorry this has happened to you @MaWinMex , but as @wayfarer said, far better at home than on the road...better for you and better for everyone around you.
May you have news soon, and great that you're taking this seriously: you need a healthy body to carry that dream! All good wishes and buen camino...on the patience road...

jerby

Jul 29, 2012
Co. Wexford, Ireland
Fishermans Trail
I am devastated.
In preparation for my long-anticipated Camino pilgrimage, scheduled to begin from SJPDP 9 days from now, a month ago I was hiking 5+ miles a day, walking rapidly for maximum aerobic effect, with no problem, and feeling more fit every day.
Today I couldn’t walk from the bed to the bathroom without a total loss of breath. Putting on my hiking boots required a 10-minute recovery.
When I first started noticing these symptoms, I immediately entered a state of denial, which only ended this morning. I kept telling family, friends, and myself that everything was copacetic, no problem, good to go. As the symptoms became increasingly severe, I finally had to let my wife know what was going on. But I was still determined to soldier on, declaring that even if I had to walk 100 yards, rest, and repeat for 500 miles, then that's what I would do. This morning I finally gave up, and am waiting for a call from the Labor Day weekend on-call doctor to figure out what's going on and what to do. As I wait, I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment.
Whatever this turns out to be, and whatever the solution, I'm more determined than ever not to let the dream die.
Firstly, you health is your wealth and not just for you but your family.
Secondly, the Camino is going nowhere, so get your health sorted and start looking forward to your camino

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Jan 1, 2015
South Australia
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
@MaWinMex so sorry to hear of your circumstances. Devastated doesn't describe it really. As @Viranani says, you are already travelling your Camino but a very different kind to the one that you anticipated.

Buen, Buen Healing Camino. We'll all be thinking of you.

olgaeveraert

Olga Everaert
Jan 5, 2009
Ontario Canada
Camino Frances Sept/oct (1916)
I'm sorry to hear this but thankful it happened at home with family to help. I will be praying for you.
I agree with Mike. I empathize with you though, it must be difficult to remain at peace but try and embrace this trial. If you are meant to walk the Camino, you will. I wish you well and courage!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

lindam

Apr 5, 2015
Barcelona, Spain
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
I am devastated.
Devastating, yes, but you will hopefully return to good health soon and can continue to make plans for your Camino. While reading the description of your symptoms, I could not help but to be reminded of my husband's sudden episode with pulmonary embolisms last year. This is a very serious condition but can be easily treated with the proper medical attention and continued medicine. It would be my suggestion that you not wait for the on-call doctor to visit but that you instead seek immediate attention at the nearest hospital. All the best for a speedy recovery and your upcoming Camino trip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Jakke

Jul 10, 2016
Finland
Several in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
I am devastated.

That is too bad.... Right decisions, though. Both to see the doc and to hold on to your dream. I pray all will be okay with you soon on your get-better-camino!

maytebaos

Aug 14, 2016
Camino primitivo (2015) Camino portugues (2017)
I am devastated.
I hope
is nothing serious,I will keep you on my prayers, maybe is not the perfect time for you to do it, take it easy! ;-) Maybe next year! We had to postponed ours for 10 years for one reason or other,and now,planning our second Camino , everything happen for some reason , don't hesitate !! You will do it !!! Keep your faith ! Buen Camino

Reactions: Mike Savage

vgen5122

Aug 2, 2012
Vacaville , CA, USA
Camino Frances (August 19-sept 30,2013) (8/2017)
I am devastated.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Do whatever you have to do to return to health and don't rush it. The Camino is patient. The road will wait for you and the hills will still be there ready for you to climb them. Buen Camino.

trevorcc

May 26, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
Sorry to hear but it may have been a blessing in disguise as the temp. Down here in Valencia and most of Spain are experiencing a heatwave. So you made the right decision there will always be another time Buen Camino.

Reactions: Mike Savage
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle WA
kitsambler.wordpress.com
SJPP 2023
... I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment....
Shortness of Breath is a severe medical symptom that bears careful attention -- ignoring it could prove fatal. So you've done the right thing in consulting a physician.

Sometimes the Universe reschedules our Camino for us. There is no logical explanation for this; it just seems to fit our life better the way it actually turns out. We only perceive this wisdom in the rear view mirror, though, at a distance of some months. In the moment, we only experience the frustration of our immediate plans.

(TL;DR -- One of the major lessons of the Camino is that we are not in control. Sometimes this lesson starts before the walking does.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Debra Dunsmore

Feb 22, 2016
June 2017
I am devastated.
I am so very sorry to hear this. I hope you find out what is wrong and that you get it taken care of quickly. I will be praying for you. May God bless you as you continue to plan and finally walk your Camino.

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Jun 24, 2014
Haute Savoie, France & Umbria, Italy
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)
What's the saying about if you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans?
It's very sad that you've had to postpone your long awaited Camino, but I pray that you'll soon be on the mend & can reschedule.
Take care, our health is so important.
Suzanne :)

Reactions: Penny Kingma

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides