Dexcom

Mar 28, 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugese 2018
Hello,

We are walking the Camino Frances west from Pamplona to Sahagun, then traveling to Sarria to complete the last 100k to Santiago

I’m a Type 1 Diabetic on an insulin pump and using DEXCOM continuous glucose monitoring device to manage glucose in conjunction with the pump. Despite scrupulous planning ( I brought 5 extra CGM devices, in addition to the one I was wearing when we started- FYI each device should last 10 days) I suffered 3 sensor failures in Nájera, leaving me with one back up and praying that it, too, won’t fail.

I have back up finger stick glucose device.

Any other T1Ds out there who could loan me a G6 or 7 DEXCOM sensor?

Currently in Tardajos headed to Castrojeriz.

Thanks so much and Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mar 28, 2012
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugese 2018
Thanks. Was advised a prescription was needed for this in Spain. Now see that it is available on line with delivery in 2 weeks. Sort of a logistical problem since I’m walking. I do not see that device is available at a brick and mortar pharmacy.

Yes, pump adjusts insulin flow based on blood glucose levels. Pump supplies both basal insulin rate- small, hourly infusion, and dosage for carbohydrates consumed. Higher glucose, pump adjusts up. Low glucose, pump diminishes basal rate.

Thanks,

Jim

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Spanish farmacias are versatile and authoritative. It’ll be worth your while to approach one in one of the larger towns and pose your question. If what you need is available on-line in Spain it is certainly available via a farmacia even if you have to wait a day or two that’s got to be better than waiting a fortnight

Buena suerte

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Thanks. Was advised a prescription was needed for this in Spain. Now see that it is available on line with delivery in 2 weeks. Sort of a logistical problem since I’m walking. I do not see that device is available at a brick and mortar pharmacy.

Yes, pump adjusts insulin flow based on blood glucose levels. Pump supplies both basal insulin rate- small, hourly infusion, and dosage for carbohydrates consumed. Higher glucose, pump adjusts up. Low glucose, pump diminishes basal rate.

Thanks,

Jim
Do you have travel insurance? If so you may be able to call and see if they can help you locate a provider and/or supplies. I think you do have to have a prescription from a Spanish doctor, but they may be able to identify who you could see.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

MinaKamina

Eclipsigrina ~ August 12, 2026
Nov 5, 2015
Jacobspad 2017

I don't know where you get your information. Delivery can be done within 24 / 48 hrs.
If you are still able to continue walking once your last patch runs out, what exactly is your problem?

MinaKamina

Eclipsigrina ~ August 12, 2026
Nov 5, 2015
Jacobspad 2017
Well, device has had a 50% failure rate and I have one 10 day device left to last 20 days before I return home. It gives me concern

of course it gives you concern. if you could walk 2 weeks without medication, what would the problem be? but you probably can't. so what is your plan B, what are you going to do if the last device fails as well?

you can order one here:

https://diabetika.es/es/sensores/2926-play-keto-mini-panecillos--8009991490.html

I would do the following if it was up to me: go to a farmacia that is part of a chain. explain the problem, use google translate if you have to. let them arrange that the order will be delivered to a partner farmacia a few walking days down the road. or else, arrange for whatever you used to do before this device was available and have your doctor back home mail you an international prescription.

good luck and good health to you!

Reactions: donalomahony
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mar 28, 2012
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugese 2018
Finally in Leon. My last DEXCOM G7 failed a few minutes ago.

FYI for anyone with similar problems in future:

- Pharmacists in towns along the way were of no help and referred me to medico

- Medico of no help as this is specialty care and often coordinated through hospitals in urban centers for insured Europeans.

- DEXCOM España phone number for technical support, +34 900 42 32 92 , is not accessible with my US phone. Hotel desk tells me it is a special number??

-DEXCOM España email supprot promised technical support would call 7 days ago (with weekend and holiday thrown in). Technical support never called.

-Hotel in Leon was able to give me a phone to use. 45 minutes later I had secured G7 to be shipped ahead to Casa Ivar.

Plan is to do finger sticks, avoid carbs (bread, hard to do since it comes with every meal) and continue Camino from Sarria.

Thanks for all your help

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: J Willhaus

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Glad you are at least able to get something shipped to Ivar. Thanks for sharing your process. I am sure it will help someone else in the future. I know we are always stressing about our various injectable medications and CPAP stuff, especially for long trip.

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
Hiya! Quick question, in order to go to a Centro de Salud (health Center) do I need to make an appointment? I’ve got a very very painful blister that has been on and off for about 4 weeks and I’m...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides