Do I need to take sleeping bag for albergues?

AineM2013

Jul 1, 2023
Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi šŸ‘‹
Iā€™m walking Sarria to SDC first week of October. Planning on staying in albergues and or hostels along the route. Do I need to take a sleeping bag for this? Or is there blankets etc available?

Also, as Iā€™m in the planning stage just wondering how easy is it to arrange a bag transfer from place to place if this was necessary?

Thanks for taking the time to respond šŸ™
Buen Camino
Anna šŸ˜Š

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Phil W
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
There is something very comforting in slipping into your own bag and liner every night. That way you know that you are within your own "dirt" and not directly exposed to what others may have left. Years past walking in late autumn/winter I always carried a lightweight sleeping bag and liner.

Last edited:

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
FrancƩs, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
You should take some kind of bedding - sleeping bag or liner. Some private albergues provide cloth sheets, while the municipals and other private albergues only provide a disposable bottom sheet and pillow case. When blankets are available I'm always uncertain when they were last washed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
FrancƩs, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese

Xara712

Catriona
May 22, 2011
SCOTLAND
Frances 2011
Porto -Santiago 2012 inland
Porto-Santiago June 2014 coastal route
Reactions: trecile

Most read last week in this forum

We often read that Merino clothing does not smell as much with use, compared to other fabrics. Since my first Camino 9 years ago, I have always worn very lightweight (120 gsm) Merino shirts (by...
Hi all ... I have known for years that Goretex doesn't breathe when it is high humidity (or raining) .. noted because of how damp I would always become inside, as my sweat vapour turned back to...
Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
Laundry Masher - Hmmm... on one hand may come very handy. on the other not sure we'll be able to make it through the plane security with that Grenade-looking contraption
This company has helped people with foot problems for many a long year.. A human story still connects, doesn't it?
Iā€™m leaving in a week and the weather through the Meseta looks pretty cool at night 45 to 50Ā°F. Is that too cold for a sleeping bag liner?

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.