• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doctor in Fão?

Gallagherb4

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Português da Costa
I have bad toe and heel blisters and am looking for a Doctor in Fão to treat them or give me advice about how to proceed, if I can. Hoping to find one tonight as it’s Sunday tomorrow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have bad toe and heel blisters and am looking for a Doctor in Fão to treat them or give me advice about how to proceed, if I can. Hoping to find one tonight as it’s Sunday tomorrow.
Ask at a hotel or a policestation that you need a doctor ( um médico ) and let them find out where to go.
I think you will go to Esposende because this is a bigger place with more services.
In Esposende/Marinhas is an albergue maybe they can help you too to find the medical weekend service

I went to the Fão hospital which may not have been a good decision. They drained my blisters but didn’t have proper dressing to send me home with. I cobbled together something from my hostel and put some antibiotic ointment from the pharmacy on there as well. Worried about infection and when I can start walking again. Nurses said two weeks which obviously isn’t possible. Maybe I’ll post for some advice with a new thread since this one has been asked and answered. Thanks all!

Depends where your blister wounds are situated. You might find buying walking sandal could be a lifesaver.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends where your blister wounds are situated. You might find buying walking sandal could be a lifesaver.
Thank you, Fleur! I have one on the ball of my left foot, sort of between the ball and my toes, one really painful one on my left heel, and one on my right foot, also on the bottom, between the ball and my toes, sort of under my toes. I am going to look for walking sandals once stores are open tomorrow…

Any advice for stores to go to in Esposende?

Thank you, Fleur! I have one on the ball of my left foot, sort of between the ball and my toes, one really painful one on my left heel, and one on my right foot, also on the bottom, between the ball and my toes, sort of under my toes. I am going to look for walking sandals once stores are open tomorrow…

Any advice for stores to go to in Esposende?
No sorry but it's quite a big place. You could taxi there tomorrow then find a pharmacy for advice and dressing.

Don't walk until you have suitable dressings on those wounds

There are several shoe shops in Esposende . A shoeshop in Portuguese is Sapataria .
Sandals in Portuguese are Sandálias. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_0939.png
    IMG_0939.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0938.png
    IMG_0938.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
No sorry but it's quite a big place. You could taxi there tomorrow then find a pharmacy for advice and dressing.

Don't walk until you have suitable dressings on those wounds
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely be cautious before I start walking again!
There are several shoe shops in Esposende . A shoeshop in Portuguese is Sapataria .
Sandals in Portuguese are Sandálias. 😊
thank you!

Alternatively taxi to Barcelos for a pharmacy and shoe shops. Then you could continue walking on the central route.

Thank you! I’m
Alternatively taxi to Barcelos for a pharmacy and shoe shops. Then you could continue walking on the central route.
Thank you! I’m leaving all my options open, and this is a great alternative :)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Do you think it is a good idea to walk the particulairy day between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães over the Alto da Portela Grande mountain ? I should stay on the Coastal .

Agree that's a tough day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I went to the Fão hospital which may not have been a good decision. They drained my blisters but didn’t have proper dressing to send me home with. I cobbled together something from my hostel and put some antibiotic ointment from the pharmacy on there as well. Worried about infection and when I can start walking again. Nurses said two weeks which obviously isn’t possible. Maybe I’ll post for some advice with a new thread since this one has been asked and answered. Thanks all!
Draining is not really recommended and blisters don't often get infected. But, it sounds like your bisters are big.
One of the main issues is pain from the blisters. Generally, you usually need to first put on something that is nonstick, such as a large bandaid, then a padding such as moleskin (not sure what the Spain version would be) then tape securely to the foot to keep dressing on while walking. Stretch tape is best to hold on your foot but still has some give as you walk.
But for the first 3 days or so, the pain might be too much to walk--and you may have to wait longer than 3 days.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all! We finished our Camino yesterday and are in town for 2 more days before onward travel. I need somewhere to get my feet checked. I've got large blisters on the balls of both feet, that...
Taking suggestions on the topic.
Had to go to the medical clinic (centro de Saude) in Pallas de Rei (blisters) they told me without health insurance they are not able to see me as they have not got the facility to charge me ...
Any experience in using Frio bags? It is going to be used for insulin pens.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.