• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donativos on the Norte/Primitivo [2023-24]

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
After working on accommodation updates over the past month, I figured it was time to update my previous posting of donativos on the Norte/Primitivo from a few years back. Plenty of changes!

Camino del Norte Donativos
  • Irún - Albergue de Peregrinos Jakobi (bed and breakfast)
  • Pasajes de San Juan - Albergue de Peregrinos Santa Ana (bed only)
  • Zenarruza - Monasterio de Zenarruza (bed and communal meals)
  • Bilbao - Albergue Santa Cruz de Begoña (bed and breakfast)
  • Barakaldo - Albergue del Polideportivo de Gorostiza (bed only)
  • Portugalete - Albergue de Peregrinos (bed only)
  • Pobeña - Albergue de Peregrinos (bed only)
  • Ontón - Albergue Tu Camino (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Castro-Urdiales - Albergue de Peregrinos (bed only)
  • Güemes - Albergue La Cabaña del Abuelo Peuto (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Caborredondo - Albergue Izarra (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Colombres - Albergue Casa de Peregrinos (bed and communal meals)
  • Pendueles - Albergue Aves de Paso (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Duesos - Albergue de Peregrinos (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Tornón - La Llamarga (ATJ) (reopening 2024)
  • Before Villaviciosa - La Casa de Montse (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Amandi/Villaviciosa area - Albergue La Ferraria (ATJ) has closed, but Sergio aims to open a new donativo-based albergue in 2024
  • San Martín de Laspra - Albergue San Martín (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Soto de Luiña - Albergue La Reguera (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • La Candanosa de Muñas - Refugio La Lionesa (ATJ) - Would love some details on this place if anyone knows anything!
  • Otur - La Casa del Peregrino (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Villamartín Pequeño - Granja de Calor (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Lourenzá - Albergue Triskel (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Maariz - O Bisonte de Maariz (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Miraz - Albergue de Peregrinos San Martín (bed and breakfast)

Camino Primitivo Donativos
  • Colloto - Albergue de Peregrinos Güertu (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Grado - Albergue Villa de Grado (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • San Marcelo - Casita Mandala (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • La Rodrigo (before Cornellana) - Casa Roca Madre (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Salas - Albergue El Rey Casto (bed and breakfast)
  • Porciles - Albergue Fontenonaya (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Bodenaya - Albergue de Peregrinos (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • La Espina - Albergue El Cruce (ATJ) (bed and breakfast)
  • El Espín - Albergue de Peregrinos Casa Pascual (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
  • Borres - Samblismo Albergue (bed and communal meals)
  • Pola de Allande - Albergue Polagrino (ATJ) (bed and communal meals)
Let me know if I'm missing anything and I'll get it added to the list! A semi-complete listing of accommodations for the Norte and Primitivo can be found in the linked spreadsheets.

Dave

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for this list. I know how much work would have been involved in making it, but is there any possibility of adding in the names of the organisation or individual running the albergue? In some situations, this may be important. Also, if you could put this on a pdf, that would be great.

Very glad to see San Martin de Laspra, just 7 km beyond Aviles, is still open. I had read somewhere a year or two ago that the Camino had been rerouted away from San Martin de Laspra. For me in 2019 it was a real standout albergue with the best hospitalero ever. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for this list. I know how much work would have been involved in making it, but is there any possibility of adding in the names of the organisation or individual running the albergue? In some situations, this may be important. Also, if you could put this on a pdf, that would be great.
@Dave 's spreadsheets, links provided, are amazingly comprehensive. I just save them into 'Docs and hope my eyesight holds out

In the Via Podiensis sheet, we have the proprietors, and I confess that each of the last two years I have told myself, "I need to add that to the Spanish form," and then have failed to do so. Sigh. I have just now made that change. It'll trickle in, but in the near-term I don't have the time to manually add all of that.

As for the pdf idea, I get why you would prefer that format, but I'm keeping it in sheet form because I think there's greater functionality. I know that if I'm taking a printout on the road, I don't want all the info included in these spreadsheets, so in that case I would save a copy of the sheet, delete all the columns that are extraneous, the rows that aren't relevant, and then maybe resize the row/column width and font according to my preferences (save those eyes, @Tincatinker !). Plus, it continues to update as a google sheet, whereas a pdf would be static.

I did the first stretch last october, and I have the stayed in some other donativos:
Just before Bilbao (st Martin): Doce Tribus. Bed, communal meal and breakfast. Quite new rooms. Separated by gender.
Markina-Xemein: convento padres carmelitas. Just beds (no bunks) and you can make tea and coffee.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.