• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Sebastian airport to downtown Biarritz

Silvermomma

VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way to downtain Biarritz.
Rome2Rio says 5 changes of bus, 4 or 5 changes of train/bus.
SNCF website no help.
Anyone know what a taxi would cost because this is ridiculous. Perhaps impossible because of Spain/France?
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
San Sebastian airport is not actually in San Sebastian but on the outskirts of Irun, which is on the border with France. From the airport you can actually walk into Irun, and then across the French border to the train station in Hendaye, which is the first town in France. From Hendaye, you pick up a train to Biarritz. Or you can take a shuttle train from the Irun train station to the Hendaye train station.

Relax! It's easy. Just look on a map. Try mapy.cz. Or even Google maps. Here's a link to the mapy.cz route.

Route from San Sebastián Airport (EAS) to Gare Hendaye
Route 3.9 km • 1:05 h

Excellent advice above. And just in case you are wondering, there is no border control on the bridge between Irun and Hendaye. Just walk right across!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
San Sebastian airport is not actually in San Sebastian but on the outskirts of Irun, which is on the border with France. From the airport you can actually walk into Irun, and then across the French border to the train station in Hendaye, which is the first town in France. From Hendaye, you pick up a train to Biarritz. Or you can take a shuttle train from the Irun train station to the Hendaye train station.

Relax! It's easy. Just look on a map. Try mapy.cz. Or even Google maps. Here's a link to the mapy.cz route.

Route from San Sebastián Airport (EAS) to Gare Hendaye
Route 3.9 km • 1:05 h
Thanks - I've been so confused between Donostia and all the different names. So I walk from the EAS airport to Hendaye train station. Looks like about an hour. Thank you!

Excellent advice above. And just in case you are wondering, there is no border control on the bridge. Just walk right across!
Sweet. Although nothing beats the beach landing when crossing from Portugal to Spain on the Camino Portugues. Our boat didn't even get up onto the beach. Luckily I was wearing sandals.

Thanks - I've been so confused between Donostia and all the different names. So I walk from the EAS airport to Hendaye train station. Looks like about an hour. Thank you!
That's it! The Norte pilgrims will tell you that you are going the wrong way 🤪

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gronze is your friend!

Open in Chrome

There is now no mainline train connection between Irun and Hendaye, which is the last station on the French rail network. You can't buy a through ticket because there isn't a through service. However, there is a metro connection between central San Sebastian, or from Irun mainline to Hendaye, or Hendaia in Basque. The metro system is called Euskotren. It runs half hourly and takes about 35 minutes from central San Sebastian - the metro station is called Amara Donostia. Looking at the map however the airport is on the east side of San Sebastian, and it might be easier to get a taxi from there direct to Hendaye station.. I can't see why a taxi wouldn't take you across the bridge into France but in any case it's only 5 minutes walk from the border to Hendaye station. Suggest you look at the websites Rome2Rio for information San Sebastian airport to Hendaye station and at www.seat61.com for information on Euskotren and French trains.
So taxi then train from Hendaye looks like your best option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back